Author Topic: Panoptix on steroids - it just got WAY better and more expensive  (Read 11532 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hold the presses...

I just got back from an ice fishing event at Thorne Bros. in Minneapolis where they had the vendors in and were showing the new stuff.

I witnessed a "Game Changer" to a new "Game Changer."

I have been looking to get a Panoptix Ice since last spring, but the Garmin Rep was making the first public demonstration of a new Ice bundle that is based upon the Gamin Livescope technology. It provides a real-time view that is much like the Humminbird Side or Down Imaging - only it displays the actual fish.  You can see their outline, size and even make a pretty good guess at their specific species.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591379

The reason that there are not demo "ice videos" already is that it was created at the very end of last season and they only played with it about 2 weeks before ice-out.

This product does everything that the normal Panoptix does, only better (and more expensive). The price for what I saw was around $3,200 (and that included 2 12V Lithium batteries). The weight with those batteries was just about a pound more than the normal Panoptix ice kit.

In a certain sense, it was almost a cross between a fish finder and an AquaVu.  The camera was not as good, but you could actually see the fish and the light and depth didn't matter.

I am looking at revising my budget.  I can see many many applications for the upgraded system (aside from the obvious softwater usage). The rep had used it with 3 people and was able to watch 7 individual fishing lines. in 30 Feet of water the cone is 30 feet wide. He could fish the system on full screen brightness for 12 hours.

This is amazing technology...for a price.

Gunflint

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yea, been drooling over it for a few months.  I learned about the weight of the black box and how bulky it is, ended up just going with the ps22 in the ice package, and I’m using it in my boat till ice forms. I kind wish I waited to see if they made an ice package for the livescope, but that’s more than I expected since the live scope is only 500 more than the ps22.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I thought it would have been bigger and heavier, but the difference between them was negligible. The "kit" is not yet available in a package. It has to be purchased separately and built by the user. Apparently, there will be a "How to" video on YouTube to explain how it is done.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
I thought it would have been bigger and heavier, but the difference between them was negligible. The "kit" is not yet available in a package. It has to be purchased separately and built by the user. Apparently, there will be a "How to" video on YouTube to explain how it is done.

The black box for livescope is 5# by itself and is the size of a 7" Echomap unit...not to mention how heavy the 12aH sla  batteries are...not sure how the difference is negligible.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The black box for livescope is 5# by itself and is the size of a 7" Echomap unit...not to mention how heavy the 12aH sla  batteries are...not sure how the difference is negligible.
Even going with a big lithium pack, I can see this as something that I’d mount on a mini sled vs picking it up and carrying it from hole to hole. Drag it with you, with auger in sled too. Just follow that school where ever they go.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The Lithium batteries must be where they make up for the weight. Also he said that the Panoptix transducer cable is 16 ft long (for use in the summer) and the Livescope cable is 12 feet long.  I picked up both and did not notice a significant difference between them. They were, however, both definitely heavier than my Helix 5 that I currently use as my portable.  But now, I am looking for a finder to use in my Clam X300 that I tow behind my Snowdog. This would work great. I can fish 3 people on the same finder and do it better than 3 individual flashers- at that rate it would be lighter than 3 flashers.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
$3,200?   :o

That's a big nut to crack.   Sure looks good but it seems like that's too much for the average recreational fisherman
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac

$3,200?   :o

That's a big nut to crack.   Sure looks good but it seems like that's too much for the average recreational fisherman
The ps22 ice package is $1800, Unless it comes with a bigger unit than the 7” I don’t see why the price jump. The transducer is $500 more than the ps22, and the extra battery would be another 100 max.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
The ps22 ice package is $1800, Unless it comes with a bigger unit than the 7” I don’t see why the price jump. The transducer is $500 more than the ps22, and the extra battery would be another 100 max.

The livescope package is a 9" echomap plus.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The livescope package is a 9" echomap plus.
Ah ha! Makes sense, the finer detail needs a bigger screen to be seen lol. Even more weight but... :drool:

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict

Anyone have a link to the “How to Video”?? I could not find it on YouTube.  Thanks.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It hasn’t been released yet. I will keep us posted when I hear it is up.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Look at this video - it has several comparisons between the "Old" Panoptix vs. the "New" Livescope Panoptix.

I was already amazed by Panoptix. The Livescope is overwhelming, like sci-fi coming true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kzt-2V7haQ
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks. This looks great. Keep us posted.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just spoke to the Garmin Rep, a  great guy named Mat.

Mat is going to send me some photos of the assembled kit. It also looks like he will join Ice Shanty and post the part numbers, etc. for us.

He confirmed the weight issue.
- Panoptix Ice with normal battery = 18.6 lbs.
- Livescope Portable pkg with 2 Dakota lithium = 19.88 lbs.
They both fit in the same black carry bag.

Not cheap, but awesome.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Sweet!  All I gotta do is follow the dudes dragging their Panoptics around the lake!!! ;) ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just spoke to the Garmin Rep, a  great guy named Mat.

Mat is going to send me some photos of the assembled kit. It also looks like he will join Ice Shanty and post the part numbers, etc. for us.

He confirmed the weight issue.
- Panoptix Ice with normal battery = 18.6 lbs.
- Livescope Portable pkg with 2 Dakota lithium = 19.88 lbs.
They both fit in the same black carry bag.

Not cheap, but awesome.
OMG! Why didn’t I wait?!? Lol, yea I prob wouldn’t have for the price mentioned, but with a smaller head unit and swapping out the batteries myself vs what they want to charge would prob still be cheaper.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
OMG! Why didn’t I wait?!? Lol, yea I prob wouldn’t have for the price mentioned, but with a smaller head unit and swapping out the batteries myself vs what they want to charge would prob still be cheaper.

It's not an official bundle from Garmin. Mat isn't a Garmin rep and it's his own setup.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mat was the official Garmin representative at the Thorne Bros. event. As I understand it, this will not be sold as a complete package by Garmin, it will have to be built by the consumer.

Also, as I understand things to avoid confusion, Garmin will continue to call the Panoptix Ice by the current name and call the Livescope package the"Livescope Portable" which is reasonable, because it can easily be used in the summer on a boat. I have a Humminbird Solix on my boat (it drives the Minnkota motor), but I could imagine using the Livescope to supplement the Solix, especially when scouting for fish.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Am I the only one that thinks $3,200 is an absolutely insane amount of money to spend on a "sonar" (so to speak?)
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It is more of an "ultrasound" for a lake.

It certainly is an insane amount to spend, but I have wasted more money on less useful "solutions" than this one.

Also, if I look at the total cost of:
- Snowdog
- Flip-over shelter (actually multiple shelters for various conditions and numbers of fishermen)
- Rods/Lures
- Augers
- Heaters
- Accessories....
The $3,200 seems to be just one more painful brick on an already very expensive pyramid.

If it really works as advertised, this is truly a force multiplier for the most expensive item I have (my time and the time of my friends), then it may be a reasonable purchase. Expensive but worth the money.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well the panoptix ice package is usable year round too, the ice mount just attaches to the trolling motor shaft, but can’t get down vu that way

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Am I the only one that thinks $3,200 is an absolutely insane amount of money to spend on a "sonar" (so to speak?)

Nope, I'm really enjoying people justifying spending the money. "My time is worth..." LOL

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
During my searches, came across another board where a guy has both the ps22 and the livescope. He does discribe how both have their pros and cons when compared to each other. His comment is the 5th one down
http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=920265

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think that it will be something like that when I merge my Humminbird Solix with the Livescope. Adding new toys is easier than deciding to get rid of them.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
Here is my setup for LiveScope.  For now just using a single 12ah sla bat but wired an auxiliary connection for a power box that will have 2 12ah's.

]

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just ordered mine yesterday and will try to document the build. Yours looks great.

How heavy is it?

What bag did you use? I am not familiar with the Blue Bag in the photos.

How many hours do you get with the 12 ah battery?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
What is the total investment in the garmin panoptix live vu setup including the moun. I already have two lithium batteries

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here is what I came up with for a self-made kit. There is probably a way to swap out the $400 "Panoptix Ice Kit" (containing a bag, battery, and transducer) for something else like Ryno used. I am planning to use the battery in a mount on my hut for a light bar, etc. I will end up with an extra transducer. You can also make your own mount out of PVC and save $90. It is pricey, but after watching the videos, I look on it as an entertainment expense.

Echomap Plus 93SV              $999
Panoptix Livescope           $1,499
Panoptix Ice Kit           $399
Panoptix Ice Fishing Mount   $90
Cables:
•   010-11425-04 (2 ft right angle power)              $35
•   010-12445-00 (threaded power data cable)           $23
•   010-12673-03 (bale mount quick release cable)    $55
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
I just ordered mine yesterday and will try to document the build. Yours looks great.

How heavy is it?

What bag did you use? I am not familiar with the Blue Bag in the photos.

How many hours do you get with the 12 ah battery?

That's the Clam flasher bag. It's pretty nice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.