Author Topic: Trophy Angler  (Read 1040 times)

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Trophy Angler
« on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:14 AM »
I was in a Running's yesterday and saw these ice anchors there. T- Handle but a hollow drill tube bit. About 3/4" in diameter. Anyone tried them or see them???
      Kim :tipup: :icefish:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: Trophy Angler
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:37 AM »
I have seen those was wondering how well the work too

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:54 AM »
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

sunniewally

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:05 AM »
I don't have that particular brand but I have the more  expensive brand and they are awesome.  that stile seems to be one of the best.

Offline Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:11 AM »
Never used them for Ice fishing, but have been using them for Ice Climbing for 20 years.  Well not that brand but Black diamond Ice screws.  They are awesome.  Instead of displacing the ice as you drill them in, the shaving come out the middle giving a much more solid connection and are less likely to crack the ice.  I laughed the first time I saw these as the ones I have I paid about 60.00 each.  and the type of hanger on them.  I have seen one take a 20 foot leader fall and not bust out.  That is a 40 foot total fall, it held and did not pop.  Since I got my shelter last year I am just going to use the ones that I have.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ice-climbing-protection/express-ice-screw-BD4902100000ALL1.html

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:10 AM »
I have used these type of anchors... not impressed!  Very hard to get started in the ice, and really tough on your hands screwing them in as I don't want to carry a drill with me.  They also tend to fragment the surface ice making them even harder to get completely in the ice.  If you do get them stuck in the ice, they hold very very well.  I forgot to mention, if your hand slips while screwing them in, good luck getting the bleeding to stop if you're not wearing gloves.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:21 AM »
The Eskimo anchors are hard to beat for anchoring down a pop up, I might not want to trust them climbing up a mountain.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Trophy Angler has that four pack(cheap aluminum junk) and a two pack "laser" (stainless steel) version of these anchors. I have the four pack and they are pretty worthless. Struggle to get them started and the t-handle bent so I threw them in the bucket and never used them again. I couldn't tell you if the stainles steel ae a quality product or not as they are new to the public this year and we are just now getting ice this year.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:16 PM »
I got 'em but only used them twice during late ice last season. Very hard to get them started and they were cracking the ice to the point where I would have to back them out and set over a tad and try again. That was late ice though, they might do better in some good solid clear ice. Once they are in they seemed solid but I prefer the Eskimos.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2016, 07:37 PM »
      Mr.Seaguar,
I didn't mean to cause trouble. Obliviously no ice has people on edge but I was looking for honest answers to an ice fishing product that I saw for sale in a store. Since I have never seen these anchors before I wanted an honest opinion here. Was looking for help and not criticism.
      Kim ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:25 AM »
I bought these (Alum 4 pac) and am not that impressed.  The Eskimo anchors are much better in my opinion. Easier to install by hand, hold better, and you can buy an installation tool that works great for me.

I would not recommend these to a friend.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Trophy Angler Ice Anchors
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:36 AM »
      Mr.Seaguar,
I didn't mean to cause trouble. Obliviously no ice has people on edge but I was looking for honest answers to an ice fishing product that I saw for sale in a store. Since I have never seen these anchors before I wanted an honest opinion here. Was looking for help and not criticism.
      Kim ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Just add to the subject Ice Anchors and all will be good.

I have no experience with these but last year other IS members stated they were hard to get into the ice and were cheap/light ...now regular ice climbing anchors different story bit pricey ...Eskimo style are the way to go.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.