Author Topic: Buddy Heater hose question  (Read 8493 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Buddy Heater hose question
« on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Looking to get a hose to connect a mr buddy heater to a bigger propane tank this year.... Which hose is better the black or green?

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Buddy Heater hose question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:17 PM »
??? do you mean the quick-connect ???
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:18 PM »
Both will work just make sure you use a filter with the bigger tank.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Both will work just make sure you use a filter with the bigger tank.

Never had a problem without using a filter on my 20lb tank.
KCCO

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:21 PM »
The "green" hose ...does not require a filter ...make sure that the package refers to that.... other hoses require a filter...other wise the hose breaks down and mucks up the regulator and the fuel lines . Believe Gander has stocked them in the past.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:24 PM »
The "green" hose ...does not require a filter ...make sure that the package refers to that.... other hoses require a filter...other wise the hose breaks down and mucks up the regulator and the fuel lines . Believe Gander has stocked them in the past.

yea I saw them at gander just wanted to make sure I get the one that doesn't need a filter.... The hoses for the big buddy heaters come with a filter on them wish the ones for the little buddy heater did as well Thanks!

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:36 PM »
I understood the filter protected the heater from too much pressure out of the big tank.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Webby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:36 AM »
Mr. Heater's Big Buddy Hose with Regulator F271803 converts the heater from the use of small fuel cans which may need to be changed several times to the use of larger propane tanks saving on runtime and cost. A POL connection attaches directly to the 20 lb propane tank and it's regulator reduces the high pressure of the 1.3 gallon tanks or larger to lower pressure providing safer operation. The F271803 eliminates the need for a filter and is for use with Mr. Heater Big Buddy Heater MH18B. Includes 12' Hose and 1 Year Warranty.
Here is a link to one at Gander.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mr-Heater-12-Buddy-Hose-w/Quick-Connect&i=447220&r=view&aID=504C1&cID=GPGRABBER_447220
"The best two times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not raining!"

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:43 PM »

It's only a matter of time!!!  Here is what happens, with the hose directly attached to bulk tank, the high pressure of the gas flowing thru the hose causes the oils and contaminents from the rubber to be released into the flow, using this method the pressure is not reduced until it hits the regulator(s) in the heater, by that time the contaminents are flowing thru the heater, they can clog all the small passages in the ceramic plates and elsewhere in the heater.  By using the inline filter, the filter eliminates the issue.  When using the quick connect hose for the BB, the regulator on the hose attaches to the tank, therefore reducing the pressure before it reaches the hose, hence no need for a filter when using the quick connect fitting on the heater. 
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2013, 05:41 PM »
So the only reason for a regulator would be to eliminate the need for a filter - is that what I'm hearing?

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2013, 05:41 AM »
So the only reason for a regulator would be to eliminate the need for a filter - is that what I'm hearing?

No, you always need a regulator on any propane appliance, it reduces the high pressure in the tank to the operating pressure for the appliance.  It's a matter where that regulator is located, the BB has two regulators built into the heater inside the doors that house the 1lb tanks and in one of those same compartments is a quick connect fitting too.  When you run a hose with no regulator tank fitting, from the tank to the regulator of the heater, the gas moves from the tank to that regulator under high pressure so it causes the oils and contaminents out of the rubber, the built in regulator reduces the pressure right at the heater, and if no in line filter is used, that crap eventually plugs up your heater.  Now if you choose to use the quick connect fitting on the heater instead, the regulator on that hose attaches at the tank, reducing the pressure of the gas before it hits the hose, therfore no issue of oils and contaminents being forced out of the rubber.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:53 AM »
You do not want to run the mr buddy's off a regulated hose as they all ready have a built in regulator and two regulators will mess with it working right. Trust me I tried to have it run of my camper lp line that was regulated and it would not work.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:53 AM »
back to my question tho.... If I use the green hose on the regular mr buddy heater there is no need for a regulator correct?

Offline blacknoise

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:06 AM »
This is directly from Mr. Buddy, i had the same question.

"You can either use our 12 foot hose (#F273702) and fuel filter (#F273699) or our 10 foot hose (#F273704). F273704 does not require a fuel filter.

Thank you,
Bill Sisley
Technical Service Manager"

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:15 AM »
This is directly from Mr. Buddy, i had the same question.

"You can either use our 12 foot hose (#F273702) and fuel filter (#F273699) or our 10 foot hose (#F273704). F273704 does not require a fuel filter.

Thank you,
Bill Sisley
Technical Service Manager"

Thanks!

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:48 PM »
been using mine with a black hose for about 3 years now hooked  to 100 pounder and 20 pounders no problems

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:50 PM »
You do not want to run the mr buddy's off a regulated hose as they all ready have a built in regulator and two regulators will mess with it working right. Trust me I tried to have it run of my camper lp line that was regulated and it would not work.

You couldn't be more wrong.  The BB hose with the regulator (on the tank end of the hose) uses the quick connect connection fitting on the heater (it's inside one of the doored compartments next to the built in regulator, can't remember which side), the quick connect connection bypasses the built in regulators that the 1lb tanks usually screw into.  For the other version of hose, the filter screws into the one of the built in regulators, then the hose goes from the filter to the tank, this hose doesn't have a regulator on the tank end cause it uses the regulator built into the heater, thats the hose that needs the filter becuase the tank pressure is not reduced until it gets to the heater thus causing the oil and contaminent issues which necesitatws using the filter.  You guys gotta' get this right, don't think it can be much clearer!  Someone who uses an unregulated hose while using the quick connect is going to be in some serious trouble!!!!!!!!!!

Both the hoses mentioned screw into the built in regulator, seems the 12' hose is made of material that will leak oil so it needs to be used with the filter, the 10' hose looks like it's made of different material and will not leak oil................... ..just make sure when using the quick connect hose.......it has a regulator on the tank end.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Once you have ever cleaned one you will always run a filter just to be safe
Just enjoying life

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:37 PM »
What do i need to do to clean the BB?? Any tips on what to use and how to do it easy and effetivly.? Might need to do this on mine.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:43 PM »
I just took apart but there is u tube videos on them. Get pipe cleaners and quality tips and I used rubbing alcohol

What do i need to do to clean the BB?? Any tips on what to use and how to do it easy and effetivly.? Might need to do this on mine.
Just enjoying life

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Once you have ever cleaned one you will always run a filter just to be safe

I agree with that!

Ran mine for 4 or 5 seasons without a filter and had to take it apart and clean all of the oil out of it.  It was a PIA to get the heater apart without breaking plastic.

I use a filter on mine now.  It's only $10.  Money well spent if I never have to do that again.

Q

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Thanks so much for the information - I learned a lot.  I use a Portable Buddy (single ceramic plate) with a 5lb tank, the 12' black hose and a filter.  I'm not sure I knew what caused the oils to come out of that hose but I knew you had to run a filter because of it.  I was not aware of any of the stuff about a regulator inside any of the units, nor did I know that the Big Buddy had two different styles of connection built in (one that needs a regulator and one that doesn't as I understand what I read here).  Getting the larger unit next year and I'm sure glad I read about this.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:44 PM »
on the big buddy heater, how do you know which side is regulated and which side isn't? is it marked somewhere on it or on the original box or should I go online with the company and try to find it?

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Both sides have regulators.........the regulator(s) are inside the doors on each end of the heater, it's where the 1lbers screw into...............on one of the ends (can't remember which end) inside the door behind the regulator is a brass quick connect connection, that brass connection is not regulated, that is why you need to have a hose with a regulator on the tank end to use the quick connect option.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Ive given thought to going this route too, but dragging a huge 20# dog turd around with me, seems to always have me going back for 1# cylinders.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Ok ok, gosh. I went out and bought a filter today, 10 bucks.
KCCO

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Both sides have regulators.........the regulator(s) are inside the doors on each end of the heater, it's where the 1lbers screw into...............on one of the ends (can't remember which end) inside the door behind the regulator is a brass quick connect connection, that brass connection is not regulated, that is why you need to have a hose with a regulator on the tank end to use the quick connect option.
thanks.  have had no problems so far but good thing to know in the future. appreciate it. Should probably read the directions. lol

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:19 PM »
The green hose is HORRIBLE when it gets cold, do not buy the green one, get the black one and rig up whatever filter/regulator you need.

I invented some new 4 letter words with the green hose.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:05 PM »
My fifth year using the green hose.  Yes, it is stiff, but not unusable.  Worth the trouble to avoid the need for a filter, for me.  One more thing I don't have to buy/carry/replace.  YMMV.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Just get a "green" hose and be done.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.