Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: NEW TO BOARD-CLEAR LAKE  (Read 2619 times)

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
NEW TO BOARD-CLEAR LAKE
« on: Jan 24, 2005, 09:23 AM »
Just wanted to say hello to all! ;D

This is my first year ice fishing and was happy to find a forum with some local info. Very cool! :D

My friend and I just finished our hut and have set up by the island on Clear Lake.

We were pretty excited to get our hut out on the ice for the first time and do some fishin! ;D

We didn't have a lot of luck our first time out in our new hut, but did have some good bites around sundown. We got a couple small walleyes to the top before they abandoned there dinner. I did catch a small walleye and a yellow in the same place awhile back. Since I'm fairly new at this I hope my luck will get better with time.

I know the fishing has been good around dusk but does anyone know what a good time might be to try in the morning. Any help would be appreciated. ???

Hope to see some of you this winter.

Peace Man! :thumbsup:
CESAR

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline crowbait

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: NEW TO BOARD-CLEAR LAKE
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2005, 09:52 AM »
coldfisherman,   you might have to change your handle to warmfisherman since you got your hut done   ;)   ;D   NICE HUT!!        Haven't made it up there yet....the guys up there seem to be a little tight lipped about what is going on up there. Keep the rest of us posted on what is happenin up there. Went to Big Creek yesterday, slowed down after the wind picked up, but the ones we got were nice.

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Hiya Crowbait! ;D

Thanks for the compliment on the hut. It does beat a bucket. The wind blows most the time here so the shelter helps.

We will be going out this afternoon to open up the holes and get some fishing in before dusk. I'll keep ya posted on the results.

Peace Man! :tipup:
CESAR

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Fishing for eyes has been pretty slow on most parts of Clear Lake.  People fishing all over the pond.  Only place I can catch walleyes lately is near Farmers Beach and off to the NE near the pumphouse aerator. Only caught a few yellows which is a good thing, keeping them things off your line sometimes is a b***h if your after a keeper walleye especially in CL.  Try Directly North of the island on the other side of the lake(N. Shore) in about 10ft heard of a few people catching some keepers there lately.

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2005, 07:13 PM »
Well we stayed out until almost 7:00 with no luck. Everybody else had packed up and left when my partner snagged a little walleye. Don't know if they started hittin late or it was just a fluke. We had to head home for dinner so we packed up. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Thanks for the info guys!!!! ;D

Crappiebuster...The weather is supposed to be good tomorrow so we may take the buckets and try the spots you mentioned. Thanks for the help. Somebody was out on the lake with a plow today and cut roads everywhere so it's easy travelin to most spots.

CESAR

iceman480

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Welcome to the shanty.  I have a hut just like that.  They are pretty nice.  Good luck to ya.

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:46 PM »
Hello.  I'm new here this year too.  I've over to CL a few times, caught a few 14" keepers and some stiped bass by the island.  Also north of Farmers Beach in 10-11' water.  Last time I went to FB and decided to drive over to Dodge's pt.  Nobody there.  Caught a few dink walleyes,  If I could have stayed longer I'm sure something would have come along.  I have a big Blue Clam 6800, stop and say hi, although work limits my fishing time.  Keep us posted on how things go at the lake.. Tom

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Thanks for the welcome iceman!!! ;D

Icey Tom....Next time your coming up gimme a PM or email and maybe we can hook up. The big green connestoga wagon aint hard to find on our little lake.

Good luck fishin!!!!!!!

CESAR

eyewinder

« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:23 AM »
Coldfisherman:

I believe that I saw plans on a website a couple years ago for a shelter like the one that you have.  I'm looking to build one.  Can you tell me where to find plans for one similar to yours?

Thanks in advance,
eyewinder

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Coldfisherman:

I believe that I saw plans on a website a couple years ago for a shelter like the one that you have.  I'm looking to build one.  Can you tell me where to find plans for one similar to yours?

Thanks in advance,
eyewinder

Here's a link to a free set of plans.
http://www.fishontario.com/ice-fishing/buildahut/buildahut.html
It works pretty good. Good luck! ;D
P.S. Put a door on each end. It's nice when ya got someone else along.

CESAR

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.