Author Topic: ANYONE TRY THESE?  (Read 2954 times)

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ANYONE TRY THESE?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Yea, played around with a Garmin similar to that and wasn't too impressed, but that was 15 years ago, they might be better now.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:38 AM »
I use mine (Marcum)  all the time.  Just for getting the depth reading before I wind up drilling into a sand bar and wrecking my auger blades.  Great units and you can get decent ones at Bass or Fishn hole for anywhere from 100 to 200.

Not much of a fish finder but they can save your blades when you are wanting to drill in the shallows for big fish.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:05 AM »
How is this different from putting your transducer on the ice and using your flasher? You need a little water or anti freeze to make the connection solid, but then you could interpret the results better. I assume this is the same technology.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2019, 02:54 PM »
No difference just that the one being discussed is no bigger than a flash light.   I said mine was macum, but that was an old one that went south on me .  The one I use now is the Vexller.  I also use a flasher which I much prefer over the fish finder.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2019, 02:08 PM »
How is this different from putting your transducer on the ice and using your flasher? You need a little water or anti freeze to make the connection solid, but then you could interpret the results better. I assume this is the same technology.

Anti freeze?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:49 PM »
Anti freeze?

I assume people use anti freeze to make a solid sonar connection to the ice that does not freeze your transducer to the ice when it is very cold. Never done it myself, we almost always have a ton of snow on top.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Saltwater would be a better option than anti freeze.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:17 PM »
I remember a Rep from Eagle telling our FSH product meeting to use anti freeze he was ripped a new one and left with his tail betweenhis legs. Only a moron would dump poison into the lake they fish or any clean waterfor that matter. It has been resoundly proven that water works just fine. Youre inlt checking depth just takes seconds.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline makintracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2019, 05:23 AM »

likely thinking plumbing antifreeze,  way less a problem than using salted water i would think. 

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Anti freeze?

Never tried it- just remember reading something like that long ago. Does seem kind of silly to drag a jug of liquid about, I could be remembering wrong.

Offline makintracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2019, 09:51 PM »
yup plumbing anti freeze is supposed to be non toxic? 

Offline makintracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2019, 09:59 PM »
i wouldn't use auto antifreeze,  but plumbing anti freeze is water tank safe!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2019, 07:33 AM »
I've got a similar product from FishHawk. Flashlight sized, digital readout with the intention of easily shooting thru the ice before drilling. Lots of caveats: ice has gotta be smooth, not bumpy or even wavy, can't be soft, slushy or bubbled, snow frozen into wet ice is bad... etc.

I toted water or salt water (nothin' wrong with a little salt) for "contact juice" but that was just something extra to drag. Don't need a lot, I carried a rinsed dish detergent bottle.

Sometimes it's great and other times it's useless. These days I know pretty much where on the lake I am so I just pop a hole and use the locator. Lots more detail though not as portable.

If you decide to jump DO power your unit with Li batteries. I had trouble with mine and conversation with their support suggested that strongly. Spot on. Mine powered with AAs which also fit my handheld GPS and a couple flashlights. Superior performance in very cold temps.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.