The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Skunked and skunked again  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
Skunked and skunked again
« on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:44 PM »
no luck on Lake Champlain this weekend for me at all...

Arnolds Bay Saturday afternoon till sunset.  Tried a few locations, not even a nibble.  Lots of people fishing but I only talked to one guy who caught a salmon that was too small and threw it back. 

Button Bay Sunday morning through early afternoon, and nothing.  Relocated to Porter Bay where I've usually had good luck, and nothing again past sundown.  A family fishing there caught one single perch, nobody else caught anything ! 

Seems like people are having better luck Shelburne Bay and further north... anyone have better luck further south ?

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Skunked and skunked again
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:49 PM »
yup is dead around here. we are heading north.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:31 AM »
Shelburne by no means was on fire over the weekend... in 8 hours we got 4 fish, and others weren’t doing much better.

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:39 AM »
I fished Singing Cedars on Sunday; & we managed 1 Pike & 4 Perch all day...

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline Royalkangaroo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:51 AM »
Had the same luck.  Fished Missisquoi Bay Sunday in a spot that’s done well this season.  Only landed one small pike and very few flags all day.  Jigged a few perch but nothing of size.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:52 AM »
Sat was slow, Sunday was slower and Monday was dismal !

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:02 AM »
Saturday I got some yellows, nothing to brag about, and Sunday tried jigging lakers over Proctor shoal in the afternoon and only had a single chase but no take, left a couple hours before sunset and went to cowbanks and got a dozen keeper yellows again nothing to brag about. Minnows, worms & spikes on bibbets

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:13 AM »
I was starting to think it was just me!

Fished sat,sun and mon......a few pike on sat with the best bite from 7:30-10. Sunday was best day putting 5 on ice ranging 5-7lbs. Monday only one flag from 8-1 !

The spots I go I have fished for years and generally do much better for this time of year. Not sure if the bright sunny days has anything to do with it, but yesterday was full of squalls which traditionally stimulates the bite.

Looks like we may have quite a few more weekends left for the bite to turn around!

Good luck to all!

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2019, 06:25 AM »
Did well on Friday off Proctor. Landed 3 lakers, biggest was 28". Lost another 3. My friend caught one that was 25", and my other friend landed two. But compared to other times I have been there, yes, it's been slow.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Sat was slow, Sunday was slower and Monday was dismal !

All the way on the other side in NY same thing.  Imagine marking over a dozen of them on panoptix and not being able to get a single chase for 2 days! 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:42 AM »
All the way on the other side in NY same thing.  Imagine marking over a dozen of them on panoptix and not being able to get a single chase for 2 days!

They're probably stuffed with bait. Usually when I find them and they are behaving like that, they're near bait clouds. I sometimes have luck moving elsewhere where I am not seeing bait. I usually find less fish, but the ones that show up are hungry and aggressively chase.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Skunk-o-rama!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:50 AM »
Skunk-o-rama!

Yup and that's ok.  I'm going to fix the skunk-o-rama Sunday.  (I hope)

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:39 AM »
I was getting skunked on bomo fishing in 20 to 40 feet of water.   So I packed up and head to on of the lakes deepest spots 50 to 60 feet and found the smelt and perch.  Don’t know if the same would hold true for Champlain. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2019, 01:14 PM »
I was getting skunked on bomo fishing in 20 to 40 feet of water.   So I packed up and head to on of the lakes deepest spots 50 to 60 feet and found the smelt and perch.  Don’t know if the same would hold true for Champlain.

I walked over 200 fow.  Found lakers in 120 that refused.  Its particularly difficult to fish deeper in champlain because of the current and ice safety...it would be awesome to jig a laker from 300fow. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:25 PM »
I walked over 200 fow.  Found lakers in 120 that refused.  Its particularly difficult to fish deeper in champlain because of the current and ice safety...it would be awesome to jig a laker from 300fow.

You sure you weren't marking whitefish? They look a lot like lakers on the finder, but usually are much more lethargic.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Maybe that is where the WHITE PERCH!!!!! are hiding...

You sure you weren't marking whitefish? They look a lot like lakers on the finder, but usually are much more lethargic.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Maybe that is where the WHITE PERCH!!!!! are hiding...

:o

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2019, 01:13 AM »

I don't know to be honest.  Using panoptix so I can get a pretty good idea on the sizes (pretty large) but you could be right.  Granted ive jigged whitefish in the same spots in the summer and they chased 40 to 50 ft just like a laker.

Offline VTMTB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:52 PM »

I've picked up 6 Browns in the last week on Bomo along with a bunch of 9-11" perch. The Browns weren't monsters, they were all between 14-20", but they were edible. Sorry you got skunked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.