Author Topic: Any Mickey Mouse Boot Users?  (Read 34884 times)

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
Any Mickey Mouse Boot Users?
« on: Mar 17, 2007, 11:18 PM »
Anyone use these boots. Season basically over for use on the ice, but wondering if their is any first hand experiences with this type of boot. Also where the purchase was made. Thanks in advance: George

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any Mickey Mouse Boot Users?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2007, 08:04 AM »
 Most purchase them from surplus stores or e-bay.
Ken                                          

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Quints Army/Navy in Scranton has or can possibly get the size you need in a day or two. I was their looking and pricing them, $89.95 new. George

Offline flagfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2007, 08:19 AM »
I got mine from cheaperthandirt.com for around 20 -30 bucks.They definitely keep your feet warm,but are a little heavy

Offline CTFishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:00 AM »
Mickey Mouse Boots or Bata boots as they are called are the best !!!

I suffer from a medical condition that basically means I have poor circulation to my feet and hands.I have tried many types of boots and sock combinations over the years to keep my feet warm but most failed miserably and my trips where usually cut short do to cold feet.

I was reluctant to try Mickey Mouse boots for years thinking how is some canvass and rubber boot going to keep my feet warm when expensive multi layer pac boots cannot do it. ???

I finally broke down and bought used pair of Mickey Mouse boots on Ebay to try for $20.

After my first trip I was hooked ,no more cold feet for me ,I can now fish all day and have warm dry feet.

Mickey Mouse boots are a bit heavy but not as bulky as other boots I own like my Ice Kings or Snow Stalker Extremes .

Most of the people I fish with now wear Mickey Mouse boots and everyone loves em.

I only wear one pair of cotton socks in mine and my feet stay toasty warm all day.I did pick up some polypropylene socks to try with them this season.

I did notice if you put on more than one layer of socks or wool socks your feet will become cold and sweaty in them and get chilly.

They are very size specific so shop around for your exact size,they come in all widths and sizes.They even make them in small sizes for kids.My three sons(8,15,16) all grew up wearing Mickeys and they still do wear them,never has any of the boys been able to trash a pair before they out grew them,just the opposite ,they have been handed down from brother to brother and still going strong.

We also wear them snowmobiling and quading .

Best boots on the market for the price in my opinion.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:44 PM »
I have been wearing mickeys for over 30 years, they are the best boot for ice fishing I have ever owned.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:39 AM »
Well I used to work on an oil rig. And that pretty much consists of being wet all day long in the winter and everything. But alot of men i knew wore them. There is no denying that the mickies are nice boots. However, There is a reason that the military discontinued them(father inlaws runs a army surplus store). If you are using them for extended peroids of time where you are working pretty hard I strongly suggest that you change your socks every hour or every other hour. Due to jungle rot..

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2007, 03:30 PM »
I've worn a pair of valve-less MMB's for decades and have no complaints. 

Question:  What is the purpose for the valve and how do you utilize it?   ???

Are the boots with valves warmer than the boots without them?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Rdrash

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2008, 07:29 PM »
I use them up here in Alaska and they are the only option stopped my snowmachine on the lake last year stepped off the runner and found about 20 inches of overflow and had one of my boots fill with water its an hour and a half ride in over crappy terrain and the weather was 5 below I simply took my sock off dumped the water out and put my boot back on in 20 minutes my foot was warm again and fished the rest of the day just like that.

The valve on the boot is for air travel the boots are warm because of the vacuum between the layers of rubber and felt.

and NO the military did not discontinue issueing these boots.
It's alright I'm ok.......Is that my bike on fire?

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:14 AM »
Hey Rdrash"

The valve on the boot is for air travel the boots are warm because of the vacuum between the layers of rubber and felt

Does anybody pump air into the boot before going out ice fishing??[/b   ??? ???
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline lipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:17 AM »
When I was twelve I had on a pair of my dad's old white mickeys when I broke through some shore ice and my boots were filled up with ice cold water. It was about 10 degrees out. My dad helped me dump the water out of the boots and wring out my soaked soaks. I put the wet socks back in the wet mickeys and within 10 minutes or less my feet were warm again.I bought as black pair when I was about 19 and still have them at age 52 . I wipe them off at the end of the season and coat them with armour-all and store them in my attic (which is not the best place). I have worn them up to Black Lake in Northen NYS when the daily high was -20 and had warm feet. Many boots claim to be cold tolerant but I know that a low level activity like ice-fishing is the toughest test. I know my mickies will keep me warm. I TRUST them. I will never give up my mickies. I know they are bulky and that you should put a pair of arch supports in them but I also know that they can be a little damp from the day before and still my feet are WARM. Warm is good. Cold feet send you home. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E all the way. 

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Another HUGE vote for MMB!  I won't use anything else from here on out!

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Nothing better..  if you can find them at a military surplus store that's better than ordering through the mail.. sometimes the sizes run a little funny..

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Pair of cotton socks and away you go.....

Will be good to go all day with Mickey's

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:17 AM »
How can one tell the genuine, good MMB's from cheap, imitation "knock-offs"?   ???

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:33 AM »
I would imagine their would be something stamped on the inside ref.  Military Spec.s.  If it doesn't have that or says made in China  its probably not the real thing.

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:06 AM »
  Hi I am A newbe here , But the air valve on the side of the boot are for when you fly , you wood open it to keep the pressure regulated.   Tim

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Keep the valve closed, if you get water inside the boot through the valve ,the boots are junk.I only buy the ones without the valves.I had it happen before.just my opinion.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:21 PM »
I have been wearing them since I was about 8 years old. I think there a great boot, I now have a golf sole embedded in the boot with screw in metal golf cleats. If you loose one just put another in. Its the best boot cleat combonation I have ever seen. My dad runs a similar pair as well as allot of people we fish with in Nebraska. I will try to get some pics posted if you would like. I know where you can get them installed if anyone likes them. The sizing is a little strange I wear size 10.5 shoes but 8 regulars in the boots.
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:11 PM »
i am one who wears chest waders on the ice bc i kno i wont get wet.... but i was thinkin about gettin mick boots but would they be really heavy? or heavier then waders
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:49 AM »
For their price and durabilty, you can't beat them!

Offline The Farmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:45 PM »
I totaly agree. Had mine for 9 years.....one is full of rips, but has no leaks ???

Offline lipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2008, 07:01 AM »
This is strictly my opinion and I do not want to offend anyone but I would STRONGLY urge anyone NOT to wear waders on the ice. If you fall in you are certainly a goner. I would not wear them in a boat for the very same reason. I like Mickeys also because I feel that I can kick them off if I fall in and for that reason I do not tightly lace them.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2008, 09:16 PM »
This is strictly my opinion and I do not want to offend anyone but I would STRONGLY urge anyone NOT to wear waders on the ice. If you fall in you are certainly a goner. I would not wear them in a boat for the very same reason.

This is an excellent point.  A very good friend of mine very nearly met his maker because he fell in while wearing waders.  And he wasn't even fishing..  he was duck hunting. 

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 14, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Had a pair when I was a kid they were great, Used Sorels last season, trying to find Mickeys for next season.  :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2008, 01:04 PM »
Got my first pair of Bunny (Mickey Mouse) boots this year.  I'm sold.  I've always had trouble keeping my feet warm until now.  Warmest boots I've ever worn.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Yep, Bought a pair for last year.  Couldn't be more pleased.   Warm, dry feet.. :)

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2008, 11:15 PM »
I used Micky's while in the Air Force.
We always wore a pair of Thin Nylon socks covered by Black wool issue socks.
You could wring the water out of your socks at the end of the day.
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I use the mickeys too. Yeah they are heavy and you surely cant drive a stick shift with them on. Mine dont even have the felt liners and they are big time warm. Maybe I should look for some liners. If my feet are nice and warm now, I can't imagine how warm they would be with liners.

Yeah they are heavy to walk in for a longer hike, but sure beats cold feet.

If I know I'm only going to be out on a mild day for a couple 3 hours I'll just wear my Redhead Treestand boots, they are Goretex lined and have no problem keeping my feet warm. They are lighter and easier to walk in. I just cant wear them when its real wet on the ice.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:43 PM »
I've used MMBs since I was in the army in Alaska a while back.  We called them VB (for vapor barrier) boots.  They are great for ice fishing and I still have a pair that I use for that purpose.

The valve is for use for airborne troops to let the air pressure inside the boots adjust to the changing ambient air pressure experienced from takeoff to cruising altitude, back to ground level.  The valve is not  otherwise needed and should be kept closed.

I have never have cold feet with my VB boots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.