Author Topic: Kolpin Auger Tube or a Digger bracket for Auger on ATV/Ranger  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Investigating the options here.  Kolpin auger tube or a Digger type bracket? I use a Polaris ATV and a Ranger.

Thoughts?
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kolpin Auger Tube or a Digger bracket for Auger on ATV/Ranger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2018, 10:20 PM »
I don't have either so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will say I want to get the kolpin. I have their gun boots and they work phenomenal. If it isn't under the christmas tree I may be investing in one very soon here.

Offline Jeffrey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:07 AM »
I just put the kolpin on my Can-Am, it's heavy duty. The universal mount went on the front rack without drilling.
The fit is perfect with my Honda Strikemaster. I don't think you will be disappointed.
The only thing we learn from history is that, we don't learn from
History! 🇺🇸

Offline BooBerry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2018, 04:58 AM »
I have the digger and it works very well.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.

Kolpin it is, mostly becasue I can put either of my two augers in it, easily.  I think the Digger would require lining up the fliting with the rest and might not handle the two augers I use without adjustment.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2018, 03:35 PM »
if you want one that will work best on both machines then go with the kolpin and just buy a extra mounting base. this will allow you to switch it between the machines.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Get yourself the jaws of ice auger carrier from Excel outdoors. Best mount. So easy to use
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2018, 07:34 PM »
I have the Digger on my Polaris atv and highly recommend it to everyone.

Offline Jeffrey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2018, 09:59 PM »
I like the way the Kolpin supports the power Head V.S so much torque from clamping onto the auger shaft.
Nothing turns or rattles with the Kolpin. Rock solid!
The only thing we learn from history is that, we don't learn from
History! 🇺🇸

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:39 PM »
I've got the digger on my polaris sled. Holds my heavy old jiffy 30 securely and without issues. I have the extension on my auger for at least 2 months of the season here and the digger can hold the auger either way. For me, the Kolpin takes up too much real estate throughout it's entire length with a auger in or out and because of the extension the power head would be a ways out of the top.

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Unfortunately, the digger didn't work for me.  I have the Kdrill and the "cradle" on the digger is too narrow for the kdrill.  I contacted him/them, and he mentioned getting me a new plastic piece that would fit in the metal, square tube, but I never heard or received anything from him.  So, I now have a digger that is just sitting in my garage, doing nothing.  I went with the Kolpin instead.   

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2019, 03:41 PM »
Before I went electric drill, I used the Kolpin tube and release for my Polaris. It's sorta pricy, but it's nice. The mounting bracket was sorta large and I had to run a soft bag in the rear.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:43 AM »
I ended up with the Kolpin.  Boy is that tube BIG!!  Much bigger than I thought it would be.  I only use a drill and 6" Nils auger.  I have a K Drill with Clam plate too, but prefer the Nils, much easier auger to use. 

The good thing is the mount slipped right into the Polaris lock and Ride hole system.  So easy to mount.  But was limited in where it went.  The tube is so big I couldn't have it go down the side of the ranger.  The mount didn't have enough adjustment.  So it sits way up in the air.  It also faces forward, catches the wind, which is not a problem on the lake, not going very fast.  But I drive 3 miles to the lake, so far not an issue.  If I trailer the Ranger to a lake I will put the tube in my vehicle.

I was thinking I could also get the Kolpin gun case since I have the mount, but heck I think the tube is big enough to fit 3 cased guns inside it.  Won't need the gun case. 

You can also see I mounted my hitch hauler to the front.  The Clam fits on it nicely.  It's not quite as nice the one I saw with an Otter mounted to a deck on the front, no sled, but works.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.