Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Perch

Where are they?

<< < (2/2)

Hunt n Fish:

--- Quote from: taxi1 on Jan 31, 2018, 10:55 AM ---Is it possible the perch are moving fast enough on you to make you think there are only a few in the school? If I find perch and they stop biting I drill holes to find them again. Rule number one with yellow perch with me is you can't go wrong staying close to the bottom. I've found that is where they are 99 percent of the time. Also I have better luck catching them on flats vs. drop offs. And soft bottoms seem to have the bloodworms they like to feed on (midge fly larvae).

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the input.  The bigger ones at least are not schooled up.  I use sonar and never mark more than two (usually just a single) when they do come in.  I also borrowed a camera a couple times and have seen the same thing.  I do find they are almost always on the bottom.  Flats have been more productive than breaks but not by a lot.  I think there just aren't that many in there or they are out in the deeper water where I haven't spent much time. 

SHaRPS:
In my freezer! jk, kinda.

taxi1:

--- Quote from: Hunt n Fish on Feb 02, 2018, 10:19 AM ---Thanks for the input.  The bigger ones at least are not schooled up.  I use sonar and never mark more than two (usually just a single) when they do come in.  I also borrowed a camera a couple times and have seen the same thing.  I do find they are almost always on the bottom.  Flats have been more productive than breaks but not by a lot.  I think there just aren't that many in there or they are out in the deeper water where I haven't spent much time.

--- End quote ---

Makes sense. Some lakes just don't have the numbers. However they can make for some really big ones when you do catch them.

Hooked up:
Sounds like the lake just does not have a lot of perch. Could be the trout are eating them before they have a chance to grow. If the lake has carb, carb will eat a lot of perch eggs. I would try the deeper water before you give up hope. When I am hunting for perch I will drill holes in 15 ft to 60 ft of water until I find them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version