Author Topic: Tower Hill Pond...Mercury  (Read 646 times)

Offline nhicefshr

• IceShanty Rookie
Tower Hill Pond...Mercury
« on: Dec 06, 2010, 03:33 AM »
Did anyone else catch the article in the Union Leader last week that stated Tower Hill Pond in Auburn/Candia had the highest levels of mercury in the state?  The consumption recommendations were that pregnant women and women who wish to become pregnant should not eat any fish, nor should children.  Others should limit consumption to 1-2 meals per month.  I'm limiting my consumption to zero from here on out, considering I've eaten many a fish from there.  That said, I believe many of them to be stockies, so I'm not sure how much mercury could have built up in them from stocking to eating.  You would think that a pond that is in Manchester Water Works jurisdiction, and flows in to Massabesic would be safe, however the Water Works claims there is no ill effect to the drinking water.  Just a word to the wise, if you drag in a 5lber that looks to be 10 years old, mount it and don't eat it.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tower Hill Pond...Mercury
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2010, 05:38 AM »
Hi NHicefshr,

I live in Derry, and have spent some recreation time around Tower Hill Pond.
However, I've not eaten any fish from THP.
If I were you, I highly recommend you contact local fish and game to talk about this.
Perhaps update us on this news.
Try and find out if the levels were/have always been high and possibly why.
If levels have suddenly gone up over past years, then I'd question why.  I don't see anything in the surrounding area that would cause this.

Newfound

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:03 AM »
Click the link for more info. on Tower Hill

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/ard/documents/ard-ehp-25.pdf

For other body's of water click here:
http://des.nh.gov/
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:07 AM »
There are many lakes, ponds and rivers through out NH that have Mercury, here's a little more info.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/fish_consumption.htm
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:31 AM »
Thumper beat me to it but the entire state is referring to the consumption guidelines due to mercury and other PCBs in the water. Some sources are local but some sources of heavy metals come from as far away as the upper midwest as their waters evaporate and bring heavy metals with them into our watersheds. As such, even though I can eat limited amounts of it, if the fish is polluted, I don't eat it...catch photo - release. If I need fish to eat, I get it from the store. Even fish in coastal waters (stripers) fall under these guidelines. Generally, if you must eat fish, eat the smaller younger ones as they have less time to accumulate toxins.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.