Author Topic: What a weekend  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Goggls911

• IceShanty Rookie
What a weekend
« on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:27 AM »
Day 1... Started out getting to the lake late, then the wind was blowing so hard against my jet sled it would just spin my wheeler, I headed out for a cove that would protect me from the wind. Cove was occupied... no big deal  plan B off to a  bigger cove, it also was occupied but enough room for a few traps... so pull out old jiffy gas auger 2nd pull snapped the pull cord.. pulled out my back up propane jiffy first pull snapped the pull cord.  (what are the odds) gave up for the morning and went home to fix both augers.. went back out for last 2 hours and braved  the wind in the middle of the lake and managed a small cusk to save the day...
 Day 2. Got to the lake early  got to my spot  at day break and about  30 mins later notice a hole my brother baited the spool of the trap was just barely sticking out of the water and of course frozen in place with a baitlesss hook( amateur hour) after fixing the problem he managed jigging a laker up about 18"  after a long day of running and gunning we found some fish for the last hour my brother lost a tank and I caught a fat 24 inch laker that was definatly board worthy but I caught it at 2:15 and would of never made it to the board on time so back through the hole it went.... 

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: What a weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:01 AM »
Sounds similar to most of our experiences, lol! Man it was a tough weekend!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Goggls911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:20 AM »
One of the toughest I've been to in the last 10 years.. Hopefully Sebego derby goes better....

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:52 AM »
im still a hot mess two days later...red face, shedding lips, sore back, bad elbow , tired, hungry, hungover and my stuff is still all over the place...hoping tomorrow is better day...can still hear the wind when I lay my head down to bed...hahaha...fun though
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:05 AM »
im still a hot mess two days later...red face, shedding lips, sore back, bad elbow , tired, hungry, hungover and my stuff is still all over the place...hoping tomorrow is better day...can still hear the wind when I lay my head down to bed...hahaha...fun though

I hear that... my wheeler, shack and all my gear are still on the trailer, when I heard snow coming my first move wasn't to get it all unloaded and out of the weather... just stopped at tractor supply last night and grabbed a tarp big enough to cover it all lol... will deal with it Saturday. good times.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:03 PM »
You are not alone... I feel better this afternoon,  now I've got a head cold,  first one in a few years..you forgot the split fingers, I'm sure you got them too, everyone at work keeps asking me why my finger tips are all bandaged up...I just tell them they won't understand.
When I got home I backed the wheeler in the yard and threw a tarp on it, put the bait in my tank down in the shop,scarfed down a small cheese pizza and went to bed,  work was brutal yesterday, I had to clean fish,last night, it's about all I could handle  tonight, maybe I'll unpack, old spirits returning, I'm already planning this weekends adventure.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:54 PM »
You are not alone... I feel better this afternoon,  now I've got a head cold,  first one in a few years..you forgot the split fingers, I'm sure you got them too, everyone at work keeps asking me why my finger tips are all bandaged up...I just tell them they won't understand.
When I got home I backed the wheeler in the yard and threw a tarp on it, put the bait in my tank down in the shop,scarfed down a small cheese pizza and went to bed,  work was brutal yesterday, I had to clean fish,last night, it's about all I could handle  tonight, maybe I'll unpack, old spirits returning, I'm already planning this weekends adventure.

Roccus, I just finished working on my Argo in the cold garage installing Quad Boss sealant in the 6 tires...my thumbs are split and a couple of fingers are threatening to...
I also got a FedEx delivery...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:56 PM »
You’ll love that thing I love mine, hell I even use it for demo work or around the yard or wherever

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:28 PM »
For everyone (mostly us old guys) with split fingers - try O'Keefe's working hands. both lotion and paste. Stings like hell on open splits but it does work to heal the cracks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:31 PM »
For everyone (mostly us old guys) with split fingers - try O'Keefe's working hands. both lotion and paste. Stings like hell on open splits but it does work to heal the cracks.
Yup have that stuff but nothing works like neosporin and a flexible fabric band aid!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:35 PM »
I useto use stuff that I think was called fisherman’s friend? Had a picture of hands on a lobster trap I think. Little metal puck thing in like pine scent. Useto use it commercial fishing. Nothing bothers my hands at all ever except Saltwater, I don’t get it

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Been turning wrenches professionally for 25 years... ive got scars and calluses on top of my scars and calluses... best heal I've found is to sauce up your hands a ton with whatever hand creme your girl has then put on some latex gloves and sleep the night like that... a couple nights and you'll be back to normal.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:50 PM »
In previous years I always took Friday off to get everything set up for the crew at the camp but this year I said screw that they can shovel and snowblow themselves ..split the wood and haul the water..that way I could take Monday off..still did nothing yesterday ..I’m probably going to get sick too..everybody sucking off the same bottle all weeekend..haha..starti ng to come out of it this afternoon
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Been turning wrenches professionally for 25 years... ive got scars and calluses on top of my scars and calluses... best heal I've found is to sauce up your hands a ton with whatever hand creme your girl has then put on some latex gloves and sleep the night like that... a couple nights and you'll be back to normal.

LOL! Like Curley from Of Mice And Men… I dono if anyone’s ever seen that, old Steinbeck novel turned into movie. Ah well, anyways……

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:48 PM »

Good idea...I have both at my disposal (gloves and cream) wife is away  :'(

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:17 PM »
I useto use stuff that I think was called fisherman’s friend? Had a picture of hands on a lobster trap I think. Little metal puck thing in like pine scent. Useto use it commercial fishing. Nothing bothers my hands at all ever except Saltwater, I don’t get it
I've used that and most everything else listed here.
Pretty sure you'll find the salt in the saltwater is drying out your hands. I think the oils help give the skin some elasticity?
Watched Mice and Men at least a couple times. Great movie! CRS doesn't allow me to remember names as well now, Fred, but I always felt bad for that big guy and his best friend who had to put him down. Understood why, though.
Been there, done that, Stealth and Roccus with both the split fingers and throwing the tarp over at the end of the trip. "Tomorrow's another day". Was that Gone with the Wind?  ;)
Enjoyed reading all these derby stories.   
Almost made me wish I went... :whistle:

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Whoah, whoah, whoah ....

.... we talkin’ Fifi’s here??

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:26 PM »
Whoah, whoah, whoah ....

“Monsieur Harold”  Ya I got yer “Fifis” right here  ;D if you’ve never had painful split finger tips you wouldn’t understand... @)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:33 PM »
“Monsieur Harold”  Ya I got yer “Fifis” right here  ;D if you’ve never had painful split finger tips you wouldn’t understand... @)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:35 PM »
I've used that and most everything else listed here.
Pretty sure you'll find the salt in the saltwater is drying out your hands. I think the oils help give the skin some elasticity?
Watched Mice and Men at least a couple times. Great movie! CRS doesn't allow me to remember names as well now, Fred, but I always felt bad for that big guy and his best friend who had to put him down. Understood why, though.
Been there, done that, Stealth and Roccus with both the split fingers and throwing the tarp over at the end of the trip. "Tomorrow's another day". Was that Gone with the Wind?  ;)
Enjoyed reading all these derby stories.   
Almost made me wish I went... :whistle:

Ole Lennie and his buddy George who put him down.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:36 PM »
Whoah, whoah, whoah ....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:37 PM »

This works has multi-uses doesn't taste too good but great for cracked fingers.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Ole Lennie and his buddy George who put him down.
Of course! Oh to be young again, Fred.  ;)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Ohhhhh

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:43 PM »
This works has multi-uses doesn't taste too good but great for cracked fingers.

Used that too, Denny.
You like it better than bag balm?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Of course! Oh to be young again, Fred.  ;)

I’m Fred now?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I’m Fred now?
I could never forget your name, Frank!
Just a poor attempt at some dry humor.   :(

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:49 PM »
 ;)

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:50 PM »
BAG BALM

... if does the trick for jerkin’ on those wind chapped pro udders from the land of 1.000 lakes and milk and cheese....

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:51 PM »

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.