Author Topic: weight or no weight?  (Read 8669 times)

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: weight or no weight?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2005, 07:38 PM »
I actually put my splitshot above the swivel, on the main line of the tip up. I The bait stays down and rarely gets tangled.

This is how I do it.  Egg sinker above the swivel. 
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Fisherben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2005, 10:14 AM »
I prefer to internally weight my baits. I'll enlarge the baits anus with my pocketknife the slide in a 1/8-1/4 ox bullet type sinker. No sinker to get tangled in the weeds or bonk a pike on the head if he doesn't swim away fast enough.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 01, 2005, 05:09 AM »
No offense fisherben but that does not sound too environmental friendly or very good for the fish you release or that get away. Besides I use live minnows so performing surgery like that is not an option.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2005, 12:32 PM »
I don't generally use any weight.  If I do, it would be because of current pulling the bait in one direction or another.  I try to keep the bait looking as natural as possible as it relates to the movements in the water...except for the treble coming out of his back.
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2005, 07:19 AM »
I've actually used weight below the bait with good success.  I have used a 1/8 oz sinker attached below the bait which I let rest on the bottom, then position your leader a couple feet long a few feet up the main line.  Your minnow can swim anywhere in a large imaginary sphere whose radius is equal to the length of the leader.  (make sure your leader length/height is adjusted so the minnow can rest on the bottom. This works really well on light biting fish.

hali-man

« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:13 AM »
I've actually used weight below the bait with good success.

Interesting- Kind of a drop shot rig on your tip-up? I can't help but think that fish would sometimes feel that weight before you get a chance to set the hook.
Hmm, I don't know...

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:34 AM »
I've actually used weight below the bait with good success.  I have used a 1/8 oz sinker attached below the bait which I let rest on the bottom, then position your leader a couple feet long a few feet up the main line.  Your minnow can swim anywhere in a large imaginary sphere whose radius is equal to the length of the leader.  (make sure your leader length/height is adjusted so the minnow can rest on the bottom. This works really well on light biting fish.
Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it be possible for the fish to feel the weight and drop the bait before tripping the flag?  It's a very intriguing idea, though.  Please instruct me further if I'm not understanding.  Sometimes I need to be hit in the head with a board in order to be made to understand.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:05 AM »
i dont use any weight and have had good luck if i have a fiesty minnow i will cut on its tail a bit
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:11 AM »
That was my thinking too....that it wouldn't work.  I started setting up one tip-up like that and by the end of the day 4 of them were rigged as such.  I don't know but I am thinking that it may have actually helped with the hooksetting, maybe as the perch tried to swim away they hooked themselves...all I know is the few times I tried it last year I had alot of success...all were hooked solid in the top of the snout.  I'm not saying that it will absolutely work, but it certainly worked for me.  I was using quality hooks too that were really sharp. Give it a try...you've got nothing to lose

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:34 AM »
That was my thinking too....that it wouldn't work.  I started setting up one tip-up like that and by the end of the day 4 of them were rigged as such.  I don't know but I am thinking that it may have actually helped with the hooksetting, maybe as the perch tried to swim away they hooked themselves...all I know is the few times I tried it last year I had alot of success...all were hooked solid in the top of the snout.  I'm not saying that it will absolutely work, but it certainly worked for me.  I was using quality hooks too that were really sharp. Give it a try...you've got nothing to lose
I will.  Looking forward to it.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Jangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:32 PM »
I am fairly uneducated when it comes to tipups.. could someone draw me a diagram of their line and bait underwater, and where the sinker would lay.  I dont see how it would keep the bait in one place.
Craving ice...

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2005, 05:06 AM »
Jangus,

The most popular way its done is as follows. Keep in mind this might vary depending on species fished for and type of tipup and equipment, but generally speaking:
Your line comes off your tip up spool. Usually a braided tip up line of some type. At the end of this would be a barrel swivel or snap swivel whichever you prefer or is more appropriate. Then connected to your barrel swivel or snap swivel would be your leader. The length and type of leader (mono, super braid, steel, wire, etc.) depends again on species fished for. Obviously at the end of your leader is the business end which contains a very very sharp hook. Now most of us fish with a live or dead minnow with tipups so you would want to weight your set up in some manner especially with a live minnow to keep the minnow located at a certain depth and limit their movement without destroying a somewhat natural presentation. To do this, different anglers do different things. Some pinch a split shot or two about 6 inches to a foot above the minnow. Some, like me put a barrel weight (sliding weight) above my barrel or snap swivel that connects my leader. Others yet actually weight the bait itself (especially already dead minnows) which I really don't prefer myself. Still others use no weight and they simply wound the minnow by damaging its tail which limits swimming ability. None of the above is wrong and you simply need to figure out which works best for your type and style of fishing. Do not be shy about asking questions Jangus because thats what this forum is for and you will not find a better bunch of angling men or women anywhere on the planet.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:44 AM »
Icegeek ,like the drop shot method, always thought about that split shot hitting em in the head.
Will try and give you some feed back in a week or two. Nice idea.
Speaking of drop shot, does anyone use this method for perch, crappies in deeper water.
Saw it one a program once and did'nt think much of it till now.
Tiny jig or icefly weight below?? or several
New approach, gears are slowly moving.
Can we expand on this one on the ice?? Will try
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Jangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:33 PM »
Do you put the weight on the main line or right on the leader?
Craving ice...

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:54 PM »
Jangus,

Some put it right on the leader and some put it above the leader like I pointed out in my post. It depends largely on personal preference and set up. I cant put weight on my leader in most of my fishing applications because I use wire leader and split shot and wire leader dont mix real well. Thats why I prefer weight above the leader which is usually only about 18-20" in length. If you use mono or super braid for leader, pinching some split shot right on the leader about 6-8" above your minnow will work just fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.