Author Topic: Floroclear on tipups  (Read 1031 times)

Offline KPOD

• IceShanty Rookie
Floroclear on tipups
« on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Anyone using floroclear for their entire tipup line vs. just the leader? Thinking of putting 150 yds of 8lb floroclear when fishing deep for lake trout. I know people use it as their leader, but I wasn't sure if there would be any problem in using it for the whole line. Any other type of of floro I should use? I can get 300 yds of 8lb for $10.50 shipped.

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Floroclear on tipups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:27 AM »
I use it for the last 3 feet only.  I don't really see any advantage to using it for the whole length of the tip up and its much more expensive than regular tip up line.  The brand that I like best is Seaguar Flourocarbon.  Best of luck.
J3W

Offline KPOD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Is there a particular kind of line you'd recommend using then if I just go with a floro leader?

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Is there a particular kind of line you'd recommend using then if I just go with a floro leader?

I use tip up line called Uncle Mac's.  Its fairly cheap and I string two tip ups with one roll.  The best thing is its durable.
J3W

Offline Nick Drews

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:36 PM »
      I don't about the floroclear line but i used Berkley micro ice for the last five years on my tipups and it worked well for me. My friend uses Stern fluorocrabon on his tipups and says he wouldn't use anything else. He claims that he can feel the minnow wiggling around at 20 to 25 feet. He likes the sensitivity of the fluorocarbon. Hope this helps you.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Sensitive line isn't really a concern with tipups, I use cheap 20# braid, with a couple feet of 6# berkley flouro leader, or a 50# floro quickstrike. The one advantage I could see with a mono or flouro would be the line not freezing up after pulling a fish in, but imagine the cats @$$ you could end up with have after piling 100' of flouro on the ice while pulling in a toad from the depths!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Using mono, fluro, copoly or lower lb test braid to completely spool tipups is just asking to get your hands cut open. Especially with bigger fish. Spool the tipup with a tipup line (Mason is my favorite) and use a Flurocarbon leader. Safer on the hands and is easier to handle. The Fluroclear is good line, I use it on hardwater and softwater but I prefer to use Flurocarbon for leaders because it is tougher and clearer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.