Author Topic: "Scared" to use Tip ups  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
"Scared" to use Tip ups
« on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:37 PM »
 Not really like "OH MY GOD I'M SCARED TO USE TIP UPS!!!"

But I have never used them before. I bought a couple of the Big Foot and one Artic Fire, both from Frabil, but I have yet to set them out because I don't want to look stupid. I really need to get over this problem. Every time I go out I get all fired up to use them, then find an excuse to leave them in the sled.
 It would be nice to know someone in the area who uses them and I could learn from.

just venting a little, I guess.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: "Scared" to use Tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:43 PM »
What's to fear? If you set them up wrong who's gonna know?

Not sure what your fishing. With a little background we send you in the right direction.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:49 PM »
 Yeah I know, I have no idea why I feel like this.

I will be looking to get into some northerns primarily. But I know there are LM bass in there too. The lake runs anywhere from 6 to 18 FOW, with lots of dink gills, a few eyes and a good supply of bass & snot rockets.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Do you have them spooled with toothproof leads?

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:53 PM »
If you search youtube I'm sure there is video on how to use them, if you need visual instruction to make you feel more comfortable with setting them up. And to be honest, 9 out of ten ice fisherman would be more than happy to show you how to set them up.. That's how we pass on the tradition! Take others out and show them how to do it.. ;D Good luck to you!

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Weeds? Water clarity? What are you going to be using for bait?
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Stained. Not much for cover in there that I can see, but I am pretty new to the area/lake. There are some submerged trees down on one end of the lake. I'll be using large minnows and/or creek chubs.

I have them spooled with 100 yards of tip up line, with a barrel swivel and am not entirely sure if I will use steel leaders or what. 

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:09 PM »
I use the same with line and swivel, I put about 3 feet of 20lb fluorocarbon as a leader, then attach my hook or whatever. Put a big sinker 12 to 18 inches above the hook. I find my depth with a lead depth finder, if I am fishing 8 foot of water or  less I pinch where bottom is on the line where it's at the  top of the ice, I then pull the line up and about 18 inches from where the line was at the top of the ice to mark bottom, place a small red and white bobber. I put my minnow on, drop it down the hole, wind the line up to the bobber, set my tip up down in the hole, then set my flag, in deeper water I will set my bobber do my minnow is 2 to 3 feet off bottom
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:13 PM »
Here is a link to some tip up use and set up instructions. [ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Remember to wind the correct direction. The flag will only trip one way. Easily tested with a pull of the line to make sure the flag pops.

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2012, 09:27 PM »
If you have electronic i would use it to help you set the bait perfectly easy to keep a eye on it and see whats going on down there  JMO  :tipup:

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:26 PM »
I'm kind of new to tip-ups, too. I bought 3 HT Polar Tip-ups last year and caught nothing. Maybe I fished too deep, near the bottom. This year has been a different story. The first time out was Chrismas day and the the bait shop was closed. I used 5-6" Shiners frozen from the last time last year. (I forgot to dig them out for Catfish over the summer.) I caught three nice pike using a tip I read here somewhere. In shallow water (I was fishing in 5-7' of water off a weedline.), set your bait high in the water column just under the ice. The dead bait scored three nice pike. 2 released, 1 cleaned. The next time out I used live shiners and caught 11 bass (all released, too much fun to catch them in the lily pads with a rubber frog) and 1 pike, cleaned.

I spooled up tip-up line, a 6 foot mono leader and then a 18" steel leader. I since have abandoned the monofilament leader and have attached the tip-up braided line directly to the steel leader. My fish evidently are not leader shy.

This is in a Mississippi River backwater where we're allowed 3 tip-ups in addition to two jigging poles. The tip-ups give you something watch for while the jigging is slow. I plan to add bells to the flags as a further alert, in case I'm too intent on jigging.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:09 PM »
 Thanks for the tips guys. I am packing them up and heading out tomorrow. Not taking any rods with me, so I'll have to use the tip ups.

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Don't forget the most important part, When you first see a flag pop, Always yell Flaaagggg load enough so everybody on the lakes knows ya have one on !!  ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Strongly recommend tipups

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline Derag2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:51 PM »
We use a small split shot to mark our lines to set the deth, and just a clip on weight to find bottome originally....  I don't use steel leaders we just use 6 pound mono and a swivel and we've caught 20+ pike and never had a break off....  nothing big, but just saying I don't think steel leaders are a must for pike...  I love using tip-ups!  Let us know how you did with them.  Also for bait I just using minnows, ive never used anything bigger....   You guys use them dead and frozen or alive? I would think alive wouldn't they set off the tipups?

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:40 PM »
well here's our two set ups. for pike we use just the line with the leader and hook on the end, and split shot a foot above leader. The button to mark our line for each set up. For trout we use the set up currently tied on. A swivel and an arm length ( 6 feet ) of 10 lb spider wire, small splitshot to keep the bait at respected depth.
Hope this helps.  :)

just remember to slide your button back to your leader during the end of days teardown. so your ready for the next trip out. As for depths we fish pike at 3 to 30 feet of water. near points or bays . An arm length under the ice usualy works well for me.
Trout we usualy set up about the same. No flags i'll change my set up to find something that works. I will often troll my tip ups to check bait and clean holes of ice build up. Play with different set ups and find what works for you. I know my set up is probobly odd to some, but its what works for me. good luck and keep us posted.  :thumbsup:

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:21 PM »
I thought tip ups were alittle strange were i live ::) ;D............Then i actually used them this year when fishin for pike. Can you say fun??? I can, it was a blast watchin and racing for flags  :tipup:

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:58 PM »
well here's our two set ups. for pike we use just the line with the leader and hook on the end, and split shot a foot above leader. The button to mark our line for each set up. For trout we use the set up currently tied on. A swivel and an arm length ( 6 feet ) of 10 lb spider wire, small splitshot to keep the bait at respected depth.
Hope this helps.  :)

(Image removed from quote.)

just remember to slide your button back to your leader during the end of days teardown. so your ready for the next trip out. As for depths we fish pike at 3 to 30 feet of water. near points or bays . An arm length under the ice usualy works well for me.
Trout we usualy set up about the same. No flags i'll change my set up to find something that works. I will often troll my tip ups to check bait and clean holes of ice build up. Play with different set ups and find what works for you. I know my set up is probobly odd to some, but its what works for me. good luck and keep us posted.  :thumbsup:

The button is a good idea never seen this before. I have always used a small bobber. This way I can take off quick when it is time to go home and reel up quickly while my hands are freezing.

Offline cdnb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Tipups are hit and miss and setting the hook can seem like a science but when they work - they work good!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I am packing them up and heading out tomorrow. Not taking any rods with me, so I'll have to use the tip ups.
How did it go Tom?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.