The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 155707 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #180 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:24 AM »
Alec - brought up our old Maple thread which shows the history of the sap-a-holics on IS, hope you don't mind.  Prehaps Scotty or Fool will merge them for us. ::)

I am still waiting, when I start I want it to be "prime time" and not stop and start.  I bought a bigger used pan to speed the process this yr but it still needs to be fit to the barrel, tomorrow sounds like just the day. :(

Did you come up with a different set up to boil on Alec?

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:32 AM »

Did you come up with a different set up to boil on Alec?

Not yet.  I am at a different location this year (finally bought my own place.)  The block arch worked fairly well for me last year so I may set up something similar.  Not much money in the budget for much more.  :-\

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #182 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:29 AM »
You motivated me guys, just went to camp and picked up my rig and all the supplies I need to make the nec. mods.  Good project for tomorrow in the garage, the rest of today is for the shack, man, is it nice out! @)

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
Re: OT maple taps
« Reply #183 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Dumb question but can you tap any type of maples, not just the sugar maples.  If so I'm going to order some  supplies and give it a try.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #184 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:07 PM »
Dumb question but can you tap any type of maples, not just the sugar maples.  If so I'm going to order some  supplies and give it a try.
You can get suryup out of a birch if you want to boil down 55 gals for a quart. I like getting mine out of Skunk Spruce.
Steve

Offline pfd37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Still a week or two away for us to start, but we did start to dig out the sugarhouse and the sugarbush.  We do about 7-800.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:07 PM »
a more direct answer is yes, but the sugar maple has the highest quality sap and the highest sugar content. And, yes, you really can tap birches, if you want the work. the syrup has a more acidic flavor, according to a sample sent by friends who got it in Alaska ;) ;D
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #187 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:17 PM »
a more direct answer is yes, but the sugar maple has the highest quality sap and the highest sugar content. And, yes, you really can tap birches, if you want the work. the syrup has a more acidic flavor, according to a sample sent by friends who got it in Alaska ;) ;D

Thanks that was what I was looking for

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Thanks that was what I was looking for

Reds tap fine, just a little higher sap - syrup ratio, if its maple, its all good. ;D

Offline TogueShmogue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • AKA BigHookem
« Reply #189 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I was cutting down a red, and pruning a sugar today at work...In Scarborough and both of them were pouring pretty good!  I think the season is very close.

Offline pfd37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:49 PM »
FWIW, a few maple facts:

Sugar maples also known as Rock maples or Hard maples tend to have a higher sugar content. 

Red and White maples, also known as soft or swamp maples make sap that can be boiled down to syrup, but because they "tend" to have a lower sugar content and tend to bud out earlier, most producers will thin them out in favor of the sugar maples.

What's the difference you ask?  Sugar maples that produce 2.5% sugar will produce 1 gallon of syrup from 34 gallons of syrup.  A soft maple producing 1.5% sugar content would have to yield 57 gallons of sap to make that same gallon of syrup.  This isn't a major issue unless you're the one paying the gas bill or cutting the wood to boil that extra sap to make the same amount of syrup. ::)

We tend to average about 2.5 to 3% sugar from all our trees combined.  When we test some and find weak trees that aren't producing as sweetly then those are marked for cutting, allowing the area trees more light and nutrients to grow bigger and stronger.  Many of our trees can produce 6% +.  Those are usually the field trees or road side trees that have lots of room to expand.

Anyone in the area that would like to test their sap to see where they are running get in touch.  I can check it with the refractometer and tell you if you have a sweet tree or not.  Then again, if you're cutting the wood to feed the fire, you know if you have a sweet tree or not. :)   

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:08 PM »
A better day to retro-fit the "new" pan than fish! ;D

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:29 PM »
good looking pan, that ought to give you a little more capacity than the lasagna pans you were using.  Been looking for a pan like that myself.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Feb 25, 2011, 03:33 PM »
good looking pan, that ought to give you a little more capacity than the lasagna pans you were using.  Been looking for a pan like that myself.

It's homemade but the price was right.  I had a friend add the 3/4" nipple and then I bought a valve.  Can't imagine dumping that thing like the previous owner must have.  :wacko: I'm hoping for 7gph up from the 3-3.5, too much time for beer drinking. ;D  Keeping the smaller pan to finish with on the clam cooker.

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #194 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:07 AM »
Looks good eric. now we just need the warmth again. Why did this topic get moved this year. Last couple there wasn't a problem. @)
How they biten

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #195 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Probably start tapping around the 12th of March. No frost, lots of snow in the woods. Looks like it might be a good year. We will put out 500 on bags this year, maybe another 100 if the weather looks good.

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #196 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Have you ever or can you make maple beer?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #197 on: Feb 27, 2011, 02:51 PM »

Why...do you want something to pour on your pancakes? :roflmao:

But you probably can...they suck Gin out of a Juniper. ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Feb 28, 2011, 07:43 AM »
Had a productive day yesterday as I finished cleaning all my equipment and got my 20 taps in. I have about 6 more to put in but I need to get some more containers. I've been using 2.5 gallon water jugs as that was what I had on hand. I also got some 20 gallon rubbermaid containers burried in the snow bank for some storage. I know I'm a little early but I've got things planned for the next few weekends, so now all I need is the warmer weather.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #199 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Looks good eric. now we just need the warmth again. Why did this topic get moved this year. Last couple there wasn't a problem. @)

Thanks Iain, I found two little holes that need to be welded in the pan.  I'm concerned that I don't have enough of the flue opening showing to get a good draw with the new pan now but before changing it I thought I'd try a test boil.

Regarding the other, I was very dissapointed as well.  We've had this thread going seasonal on the Maine Board since 2008.  Tiny - If you read this, I know you think you have a job too do but I would ask nicely if this could be placed back on the Maine board while in season.  I think 99% of us stay right there and have viewed this thread as a "right of spring passage" for us.  After the season, burying it here wouldn't be a big issue.  I'm sure we'd even offer a bribe of syrup if that's what it took. @)  Thank you for considering my request. :tipup:

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #200 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:24 AM »
I will move this back to the Maine page for you guys...however i will be lookig for a sample of maple syrup at the banquet...for EACH of the maine mods for keeping it there and maybe a taste for HIMO too...

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #201 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:26 AM »
I will move this back to the Maine page for you guys...however i will be lookig for a sample of maple syrup at the banquet...for EACH of the maine mods for keeping it there and maybe a taste for HIMO too...
Oh i see..... Playing favorites are we??

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #202 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Oh i see..... Playing favorites are we??

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

yep...rules are rules and a bribe is a bribe!! 

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #203 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:29 AM »
yep...rules are rules and a bribe is a bribe!! 
LMAO!!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #204 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:18 AM »
granted I do like Maine maple syrup this thread needs to be moved to the OT section as so many other PERTANATE threads are  as NY VT and NH and many others make maple syrup  consistency please

thank you for your input...i will take it into consideration   ;)

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:05 PM »
I brewed a maple porter with 5 gallons of sap instead of water. 6.5% alc, and a hint of maple.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #206 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:03 PM »
I brewed a maple porter with 5 gallons of sap instead of water. 6.5% alc, and a hint of maple.

OH that sounds delicious!!!  There is a brewery in North Woodstock NH that makes a batch every year, but I bet a smaller batch is even better.

Offline droopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:33 PM »
i think i might have to steal that idea. this is my first year tapping, do you guys think i'd do alright boiling off in my beer brew kettle?(8.5 gallon pot)

Offline TogueShmogue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • AKA BigHookem
« Reply #208 on: Mar 01, 2011, 05:56 PM »
FWIW, a few maple facts:

Sugar maples also known as Rock maples or Hard maples tend to have a higher sugar content. 

Red and White maples, also known as soft or swamp maples make sap that can be boiled down to syrup, but because they "tend" to have a lower sugar content and tend to bud out earlier, most producers will thin them out in favor of the sugar maples.

What's the difference you ask?  Sugar maples that produce 2.5% sugar will produce 1 gallon of syrup from 34 gallons of syrup.  A soft maple producing 1.5% sugar content would have to yield 57 gallons of sap to make that same gallon of syrup.  This isn't a major issue unless you're the one paying the gas bill or cutting the wood to boil that extra sap to make the same amount of syrup. ::)

We tend to average about 2.5 to 3% sugar from all our trees combined.  When we test some and find weak trees that aren't producing as sweetly then those are marked for cutting, allowing the area trees more light and nutrients to grow bigger and stronger.  Many of our trees can produce 6% +.  Those are usually the field trees or road side trees that have lots of room to expand.

Anyone in the area that would like to test their sap to see where they are running get in touch.  I can check it with the refractometer and tell you if you have a sweet tree or not.  Then again, if you're cutting the wood to feed the fire, you know if you have a sweet tree or not. :)   

They had a "sugar bush" at Umaine...they found that the red maples on their site had just as high, if not higher sugar content then the sugar maples on their site. 

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #209 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:26 PM »
your the man. Thanks @)
How they biten

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.