The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT Maple Taps  (Read 155689 times)

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: OT Maple Taps
« Reply #120 on: Mar 03, 2010, 11:38 AM »
You guys that are running are killing me! ;D  I haven't run a drop here since Sat., no freezing nights, 36 last night. :(  At this rate, or lack thereof ;D, I'll be sneaking off Downeast to fish instead of boiling! :thumbsup:

Just put ten more taps out, dripping like crazy.  First batch of the year is almost done.  Should have almost a gallon of syrup by this afternoon.  Just between yesterday and today I already have about 20 gallons of sap in reserve.

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #121 on: Mar 03, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Haven't boiled sap for years but you guys are sure giving me the itch to do it again!  We just bought a house in Mount Vernon, and I've already been out scoping the Maple situation - hopefully I'll get in on the fun next spring!  Hope you all have a great season...  (things are bound to improve Gamefisher - looks like the next few days should be good for sap!)

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:05 PM »
The real question is how much of that skoal (and rum) did I go through while making the syrup... ;D
Can't have rum when making Maple syrup! has to be Molson Canadian Beer! Has the big red maple leaf on the cap, nothing else will do when boiling sap. ;D
Never Give Up!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Get those evaporators ready boyz, it's on in a big way right through the coming week! :thumbsup:

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Mar 05, 2010, 06:57 PM »
I have a batch boiling right now! the new wood stove set up works great, can't find the cord to charge my phone so I can take pic's of it.
Never Give Up!

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #125 on: Mar 05, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Ran across this and thought of all you sappers http://www.woodgas-stove.com/

Guy here http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/53452/ has some blemished ones for a discount.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Mar 05, 2010, 09:53 PM »
I have a batch boiling right now! the new wood stove set up works great, can't find the cord to charge my phone so I can take pic's of it.

I'd love to see a pick.  Have been using propane, tried setting up a woodstove to evaporate today and it failed miserably  ::)

Had it outide on block, surrounded by block to insulate.  Had top fill whole open with evaporator pan over that.  No matter how much I stoked it, I just couldn't quite get it up to boil.  Pretty teeny wood stove thinking maybe I need one a little bigger.  I have a small evaporator pan, and the stove is so small that I had to lay it across sideways with a few inches hanging off each side. :-\

Anybody got any tips?

(joined mapletrader a couple days ago but they still haven't approved my account so I can't post yet)

Offline woodman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:44 AM »

There may have been a little wind hitting the sappan cooling it. that will keep it from boiling at times.  Aslong as steam is riseing it is evaporateing.A few degrees makes differance in the finished product.
        Hopeto finish tapping this week, 750 done ,150 new taps to go.

mike

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #128 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:19 AM »
     There may have been a little wind hitting the sappan cooling it. that will keep it from boiling at times.  As long as steam is rising it is evaporating.A few degrees makes difference in the finished product.
        Hope to finish tapping this week, 750 done ,150 new taps to go.

mike
Good luck, Night before last was the first night any where near below freezing at my house, 28, yesterday the sap looked like it was going to do something and I got a inch in my buckets all day, Last night was 28 for a low, expect the same run today. The sap has been in the trees so long one 28 degree night won't get it done. Forcast for the next three to four days is calling for temps in the mid to low thirty's at night, no help, now were into the middle of march, if there is any sap after that it's going to be garbage. I guess this year I'm getting my syrup from someone that was on it in Feb, when it was running hard for a week to ten days. I think it's all but done.  8)
How they biten

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Mar 06, 2010, 09:54 AM »
I'd love to see a pick.  Have been using propane, tried setting up a woodstove to evaporate today and it failed miserably  ::)

Had it outide on block, surrounded by block to insulate.  Had top fill whole open with evaporator pan over that.  No matter how much I stoked it, I just couldn't quite get it up to boil.  Pretty teeny wood stove thinking maybe I need one a little bigger.  I have a small evaporator pan, and the stove is so small that I had to lay it across sideways with a few inches hanging off each side. :-\

Anybody got any tips?

(joined mapletrader a couple days ago but they still haven't approved my account so I can't post yet)
The wood stove I have is made specially for boiling sap! it has no top on the stove so the pan has direct contact with the flames. It is set up in an old ice fishing house to keep it out of the elements, I modified the shack for ventilation, I've tried to boil it on a regular wood stove before but could never get it hot enough to boil well. This set up actually gets it done faster than my old turkey boiler propane set up. If I can find my camera charger I'll take some pics today.
Never Give Up!

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Mar 06, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Still can't find that thing, come on, get on it. JK. Heres some pics of the set up I used last year. We retired it and got something better this year. If I can find my camera I'll take some pics of it. 8)

How they biten

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Mar 06, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Good run today. 8)
How they biten

Offline dvn4flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:18 PM »

Anybody got any tips?

toguefisha,

I have some old stainless catering pans I used to use on my old setup.   Your welcome to them.    You could build a cinder block arch pretty easy and cheap (couple hours work ) that would get you boiling at over 5 gallons per hour.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:30 PM »
toguefisha,

I have some old stainless catering pans I used to use on my old setup.   Your welcome to them.    You could build a cinder block arch pretty easy and cheap (couple hours work ) that would get you boiling at over 5 gallons per hour.

excellent, I think I'll take you up on that offer.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Had my best sap run of the year today, most buckets were full!
Never Give Up!

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:49 AM »
22 in augusta this morning, should be another good run today. 8)
How they biten

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:53 AM »
22 in augusta this morning, should be another good run today. 8)

Good right through the week Iain! :thumbsup:  I've got to see how much is in my buckets from yesterday while I was out playing instead of boiling. :nono: ;D  Time to fire up the barrel!

I think the biggest problem this year is the trees budding out early and tainting the sap.  I've got birches already starting. :(

Have fun today sap-a-holics! :)

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #137 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:14 AM »
 Guy told me its been slow in lewiston......he has been watching daily for the telephone to start budding............. :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #138 on: Mar 11, 2010, 08:47 AM »
Guy told me its been slow in lewiston......he has been watching daily for the telephone to start budding............. :tipup:
your only maple syrup you want is the coating on the donuts!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:29 AM »
She ran awesome yesterday, I expect the same today.  I've got my work cut out for me with my little lasagna pan for sure!  ;D Sugar content seems a little low, closer to 45 / 1 instead of 40 / 1 but some of the best tasting syrup in years. :tipup:

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Mar 11, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Almost all done for me.  Looking at the weather, and not supposed to get below freezing at all in the next ten days.  May just pull my taps today.  Have enough stored for one more boil.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #141 on: Mar 11, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Ran great yesterday and today! But I stayed on the computer to long last night and lost a batch, I checked it at 10:30 and it looked like their was plenty left in the pan, went back out an hour later and it was gone! Hopefully I'll do better tonight.
Never Give Up!

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #142 on: Mar 11, 2010, 03:25 PM »
Ran great yesterday and today! But I stayed on the computer to long last night and lost a batch, I checked it at 10:30 and it looked like their was plenty left in the pan, went back out an hour later and it was gone! Hopefully I'll do better tonight.

We've all been there before... :(
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Mar 11, 2010, 05:15 PM »
Good here again today, 35 gal. off 15 taps in the last two days, pretty good for lousy trees. ;D  Going to tackle it tomorrow and Sat., expect another decent run Fri.  Brace - you should be dynamite going into next week! :thumbsup:  Alec - here are pics of my "advanced" setup we spoke about ;D:

Sand in the back to ramp up the flame under the pan:

The lasagna pan and pre heater:

Ten minutes until boil:

Don't do anything permanent just yet, Toguefisha, you may be inheriting this unit....RTD, now that you are pimping out your sap boiling, what are you doing with your old rig? ;D

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Mar 11, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Don't do anything permanent just yet, Toguefisha, you may be inheriting this unit....

Lol, that would be awesome, good looking setup.  My setup is pretty primitive.  I'd post pictures but it's pretty silly looking.....but it works.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #145 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Nice looking setup gamefisher! is that white pipe sticking out of the ground your sap reservoir?lol
Never Give Up!

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Were sitting on so much sap right now were thinking about getting them both fired up  this weekend and try and catch up.  ;D
How they biten

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Mar 12, 2010, 05:03 AM »
Nice looking setup gamefisher! is that white pipe sticking out of the ground your sap reservoir?lol

;D  You guessed it, problem is, it doesn't strain through the filter very well... :sick: :roflmao:

Lol, that would be awesome, good looking setup.  My setup is pretty primitive.  I'd post pictures but it's pretty silly looking.....but it works.

Alec - I'm serious, just sit tight for this year, I'm going to do something different for next, I'm never happy. ;D  Check out the W.F. Mason 2X3 hobby evap. at Bacon Maple Farm Products website. ;)  That's what I'm thinking if I can't get RTD to weld me up something. ;D

Well, off to fire up the sap-u-lator!!!! :)

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #148 on: Mar 12, 2010, 05:37 AM »
Looks like it's going to be a long weekend.  I just got a call from my parents, who went up to camp yesterday - All buckets are overflowing.  They just moved them to the side and put down new ones until I get up there tonight to collect the sap.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate...

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #149 on: Mar 12, 2010, 05:57 AM »
Alec - I'm serious, just sit tight for this year, I'm going to do something different for next, I'm never happy. ;D  Check out the W.F. Mason 2X3 hobby evap. at Bacon Maple Farm Products website. ;)  That's what I'm thinking if I can't get RTD to weld me up something. ;D

Well, off to fire up the sap-u-lator!!!! :)

That is a great looking evaporator Gamefisher - And the price is very reasonable!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.