The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Minnesota Eeelpout  (Read 5999 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Minnesota Eeelpout
« on: Dec 06, 2003, 05:02 AM »
Call them what you want, eelpout burbout lawyers, I want to catch some. Anyone know of a good place to start looking, like lake name or guide? Anybody willing to help a lawyerless man? I dont want your walleye fishing hotspot or anything like that, I got that at home. Im just wanting to see what I am missing. Thanks
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

glasspa

Re:Minnesota Eeelpout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2003, 06:16 PM »
If you want eelpout go too Leech Lake in Feburary for the eelpout fest. You will see all kind of houses, hot tubs, and what ever someone can come up with. They also give some good prizes and other odds and ends away at the end of the contest. You can give Reeds Sport a call when the fest is, usually the last weekend of the fishing year.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2003, 10:38 PM »
Thats generally the second weekend in Feb. Will I catch eelpout if i go?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Unkleduke

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2003, 09:40 AM »
We used to catch a pile of eelpout in the deep (40-50feet) parts of Otter Tail lake.  Can't understand why you'd want to catch 'em, except for the fight they put on.  Leech Lake is very similar to Otter Tail in a lot of ways, so perhaps that's the place to go.  Focus on the perch in the shallows during the day, and go deep for the eelpout after dark.  That way you'll at least have something to eat while you're out there.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2003, 08:03 PM »
Thanks Uncleduke, now I have a direction to start.

shortrod

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2003, 03:25 PM »
We sometimes catch eel pout here in Wisconsin by accident.Darn near ruins our day.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2003, 02:15 PM »
Eelpout arent just fun to catch their also good eating too
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Big O

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:24 PM »
I hear many say they don't want to catch or eat those "potent Pout". They are wrong. Ice a few pout, then take them home and be ready for a treat: Filet pout into perch size fillets, add some salt to a boiling pot of water, and dump fish in for about 2 minutes. Cool em off and dip in shrimp sauce, and you think you're eating shrimp! Or after boiling, you can fry, broil, bake, whatever you do with other fish. Send me your unused pout!

willowcat

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:12 PM »
 Every time we start catching them on rattle-reels, it's late at night on Mille lacs. Just doze off and here they come.

Big O

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2003, 11:03 PM »
When you mentioned rattlewheels, that reminded me that while yes you often get them during the middle of the night, just as often you'll get them shortly after the walleye run for the eve has slowed. Also, check out those glo in the dark jigs and/or those little glo tubes you tie on your line...there's somethin' about glow that those big, fat female pouts luvvvvvvvvv.

Madday

« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2004, 01:43 PM »
What is the best way to catch eelpout? 8)

Unkleduke

« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2004, 04:22 PM »
the best way i've caught them is to fish deep water at night (45+ feet).  we were always trying to catch walleyes when we got into 'em.  i've never caught one on a lake smaller than 1,000 acres.  we usually were using really lively shiner minnows about 18 inches from the bottom.  

cid

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:08 PM »
put the minnow on the bottom or nearly there and they will come
Tri Lake O Woods caught many in the 8+ range.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:30 PM »
Fresh water Haddok great to eat.batter the meat and deep fry
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

tahoej

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:19 AM »
We alawys slay em on Mille Lacs. WE use Scenic Bay and Tim is a hell of a guide!!!

Offline captcourageous

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Minnesota Eeelpout
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2004, 11:00 AM »
If you want to get some info on how to catch eelpout, try looking under the eelpout section right here in the forum.  Fishmanjake seems to be quite an expert on them.  Good luck.
Look up the ellpout festival at www.ellpoutfestival.co m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.