The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jiffy Pro4 propane  (Read 854 times)

Offline PFUNK

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Pro4 propane
« on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Anyone else running one of these augers? I got one for Christmas and I gotta say I am lovin' it so far. It cuts as smooth as butter. Just a hair slower than my dad's Strikemaster with the lazer blades, but it never bogs out or struggles busting through at the end of the hole. Yeah it is heavy like any other Jiffy, but I hop around a lot and haven't been bothered by it. Fires up on the first or second pull to start the day and usually always on the first pull once it's been warmed up once. Still drilling off the original 1 lber I put on when I got it. At least 100 holes on this tank and I'm not sure how much is left in it. I'm hoping the clean burning propane will give it a nice long life but only time will tell.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy Pro4 propane
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 AM »
I got one at Christmas as well and love the thing! Do the half pull prime and then a full pull and its purring like a kitten. What a step up from my cheapie hand auger I had!

Offline Shakedown St.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:24 AM »
I think this will be my next auger.  Everyone I have heard that has one seems to love it! 

Offline RJFoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Depending on the ice thickness, we have been getting about 175 holes off a single bottle of propane.  Won't ever own another gas auger in my life.  Starting with a single pull at -15 is a wonderful thing.

Offline fishnfinn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 AM »
been looking at this auger to purchase. have any of u guys try it in mountain lake or u fishing valleys? i ask because i heard they dont work well in high elevations, wondering if there is any truth to this?

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:39 AM »
been looking at this auger to purchase. have any of u guys try it in mountain lake or u fishing valleys? i ask because i heard they dont work well in high elevations, wondering if there is any truth to this?

Highest I have used mine was around 5200 ft elevation and still performed flawlessly.

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2013, 12:07 PM »
I love mine! The only thing I've been warned of is keeping the propane above -20. But, who the hell in their right mind is fishing at -20??

Offline Hunter2005

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:48 PM »
I am in my second season with mine...I developed a bad leak near the bottle connection...I was able to fix the problem but the part cost me $50...The repair was easy and I used the video form the Jiffy website to make the repair...All in all I am happy with the auger but if I had to do it over again I would buy the strikemaster with the new Honda motor...The Jiffy is very heavy which is not a big issue for me as I generally fish with a 4 wheeler...I wouldn't want to drag it far on the ice...Hope this helps...

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:31 PM »
So...they KNOW it's a big enough issue to put a video out about it, but didn't warranty it after less than 2 seasons?? Thats very interesting...

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Hunter2005

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:05 PM »
I could have pressed the issue more but they wanted me to return it to the place I got it which was not possible as it is in a different state...Plus I was in a hurry to get it so I bought the part.. I needed to use it the same week...They shipped the part quickly...The auger was slightly more than a year old but it is the generation 2 model...I am not unhappy with the auger but I still wish I had waited for the strikemaster...

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:12 PM »
I hear ya but I bet 80% of the augers are sold out of state. Personally, I would of been very unhappy to have to pay for that part...I know several people that love them and they do cut some holes on very little propane. I think we will see more of the companies offering them, but I think electrics are the wave of the future, especially with battery technology advancements.

I just bought a new 3HP Solo and I can't say enough good about it.  The thing rips, is super lightweight and I know this don't mean squat, just SOUNDS like a HOT ROD!!! Long live the 2 stroke!

Mike
www.aablefishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline PFUNK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:31 PM »
The Jiffy purrs like a kitty! Can't beat the POP POP POP of the old jiffy's though. No mistaking when one of those is on the lake! That's a bummer about the part. I think I would have got on them pretty hard to send it to me free of charge but then again it was out of warranty so what can you really say. I have heard great stuff about their customer service so far but I hope I dont need to use it anytime soon. I have heard good stuff about those new solos too other than some throttle issues. Lot of good augers out there to choose from right now.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:09 PM »
If you let snow and ice get up in the throttle area, you will have problems. Just like I dont throw my valuable sonar around in the snow, I take care how I lay my auger down, how I store it in transit etc. Its a high performance, CRITICAL component of my ice fishing and I treat it as such...and you are right, more auger choices now than ever.

Mike
www.aablefishing.com

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:21 AM »
Weird, I think they all a lot better before Tecumseh went under and mass plastic components.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.