The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: GrIp style question  (Read 906 times)

Offline RicA

• IceShanty Rookie
GrIp style question
« on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:54 AM »
What are the pro's and con's of using the "pistol" or "pencil" style of grip when jigging? 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: GrIp style question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:13 AM »
just seems more comfortable to me. Also allows me to jig with less effort and movement of arm and wrist. I usually rest my forearm on my knee and the pistol grip is more conducive when I'm sitting in a chair. Also seems easier to impart very small movements on the jig. Take it for what it's worth...😊

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2016, 12:19 PM »
I like to be able to touch the rod blank too, to feel that sensitive/light bite.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:51 PM »
Never could get with that new grip. Completely uncomfortable for me........ I'm old school. Or maybe just OLD???

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2016, 02:08 PM »
I go with the pencil grip for most of my jigging but tend to go with the rod in the right hand and the line between my left index finger and thumb when the bite is really light.   When jigging for pike, it's both hands on deck!
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2016, 05:10 PM »
A buddy showed me how he hooks the line with his middle finger with the pistol grip for detecting the light bite. I use it more when I'm unable to get my index finger on the blank due to where the reel is positioned on the handle. But practice makes perfect and I've been trying more and more. I find myself catching a bit more whitefish because of it as well. I think it helps a lot with fish that lift more than take it down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.