Author Topic: Laker Jigging Question - Hook Size  (Read 1005 times)

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
Laker Jigging Question - Hook Size
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 02:28 PM »
I am jigging a #5 swedish pimple with a gamakatsu siwash hook in size 2. I am tipping with a strip of sucker or half a medium shiner. I am hooking around one out of every five hits. Not a very good average in my opinion. The hook is sharp and I even replaced with a new hook just to be sure. I am currently planning on increasing my hook size and trying that, but was looking for some opinions on preferred hook sizes. Any input would be appreciated!

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Laker Jigging Question - Hook Size
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:02 PM »
maybe its not so much the size as the shape of hook, I like the hook style that the point curves in slightly, siwash i think is a straight point. I know this sounds stupid but used to fish with a guy who hooked his sucker bait so the hook would have to break thru the skin, i always hook just thru the meat with skin running up hook shank also would put pants on sucker bait. some days they always seem to bite short no matter what.

Offline ice malitia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:59 PM »
ive been having similar problems. this weekend it was 3 hits before id get the fish. he would hit and steal my bait, re-bait, steal the bait, re-bait and either catch it, re bait or he would leave all together. im thinking im just not getting a good hook set. I need to upgrade my set up. I just have an ultra light because thats what I had. its like freakin rubber. I cant count how many I lost 4 feet before the hole this weekend

Offline Hardwata

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 04:34 PM »
If your not already using one, try a jigging stick you will get a way better hook set.

Offline ice malitia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Oh its a jigging stick just a cheap ass HT

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:53 PM »
I dont think hardwata means the ice fishing pole named "the jigging stick" but a wooden stick that you jig with, you can not get anything better for setting a hook. of course you need to fish heavyer line.

Offline Hardwata

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:55 PM »
I dont think hardwata means the ice fishing pole named "the jigging stick" but a wooden stick that you jig with, you can not get anything better for setting a hook. of course you need to fish heavyer line.
exactly what I meant. thank you.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:59 PM »
There are more factors than just the hook. I believe your line plays a big role in your hook set along with your rod. Good hooks on a pimple have a big eye for freedom of movement , direction of your hook also.

Offline ice malitia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Lol, my bad. I'm a tool

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:07 AM »
I just have an ultra light because thats what I had. its like freakin rubber. I cant count how many I lost 4 feet before the hole this weekend

With the ultra lights try pulling down on the line right behind the reel as you pull up on the rod (sort of like you do with a fly rod). This allows you to move the line a greater distance in the same time, thus setting the hook harder and quicker.  Also flip your wrist up while setting the hook.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:41 AM »
All I use is a swedish pimple  GOLD  works for me ! With RED teaser  and treble hook dont miss to many hits . Usually the lakers hit it so hard that I dont miss them . Ya dont need bait just the action of the Pimple . If that not working . Then I switch to a single hook with a HALF of shiner one split shot and let it settle on the bottom them raise the rod let it settle and keep repeating . This usually makes them inhale it like no tommorrow !!!!! ;D

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:36 AM »
Jigging in NH with a single baited hook is a joke!!! Why does this law exist? If you had a trouble hook on there you would hook up a lot more often. Jigging in Maine is awesome for that one reason.

Offline NHFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Card carrying member of "TEAM FLATLANDER"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2013, 04:55 AM »
Try using a stiffer rod, those laker's mouths are very tough, I have gotten many to the hole and lost them. Also switch from mono to a braided fishing line for less stretch. If you are fishing in a portable make sure you reel down to the ice before setting the hook to make sure you get a full hook set to send the hook through the mouth. I agree with the post above, I fish in Wisconsin quite a bit and they are allowed to use trebles and bait, it really makes a difference when jigging.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.