Author Topic: WILLOW SLOUGH  (Read 1230 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WILLOW SLOUGH
« on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:08 AM »
Called today and the lake is completely skimmed over. Only 1 hunting party. If tomorrow doesnt see any hunters than maybe they will open the lake up for us fishermen. I will keep u posted.

Offline Ed from Justice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: WILLOW SLOUGH
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:24 AM »
Thanks........... that probably means that for sure if the weather holds up we can hit it next weekend for sure

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Appreciate you're doing that.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline DOC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I was there yesterday & 4 blinds got out in the marsh & a handful in the lake.  They lake over by the HQ was mostly wide open.  I'm sure its locked up (skim) now but I think it will be a while before its safe for ice fishing.   I'm pretty sure there will be guys busting ice (or trying) this weekend.   Duck hunters are an odd bunch.   And with the number of birds they are holding there will be guys trying to get out. 

Seems every year someone falls in (dies or comes close) trying to get out too early or too late at the slough.   Please be careful & don't go out alone.   25 bluegill aint worth it until its safe. 

I'd be suprised if they let anyone in at Morman Hill b/c the refuge is right there.   Maybe right outside the HQ if its safe ice. 

Offline Ed from Justice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2008, 01:55 PM »
I may take a drive out there tomorrow or Sunday just to look around.  Meantime, I am hoping that by the 13th and 14th it will be safe to fish.   It gets really boring just sitting around waiting for spring and summer

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2008, 02:03 PM »
 I'm pretty sure there will be guys busting ice (or trying) this weekend.   Duck hunters are an odd bunch.  

They are no different that we are just addicted to a different sport. I used to be one of those that would bust skim ice to get out to a blind in the dark and throw out a set of dekes and watch the water refreeze.

Offline DOC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2008, 02:26 PM »
They are no different that we are just addicted to a different sport. I used to be one of those that would bust skim ice to get out to a blind in the dark and throw out a set of dekes and watch the water refreeze.

Yes I was one of them yesterday.  In a perfect world I'd be shooting mallards over ice the last day of the season & pulling bluegills out from under it the next day.   Although my back, shins & well pretty much the rest of me says take a day off in between.

I've never ice fished the slough b/c I have a spot about 10 minutes from home but this year I'm maiking the time & bringing my son.   Is there any difference in the fishing between Morman Hill, HQ & Filbert Lane?  My brother in law says he used to fish by Filbert Lane a long time ago.  Seeemed kind of shallow over there when I was teal hunting.   Maybe its changed since they drained & refilled it.   

Good luck & be safe out there.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2008, 04:46 PM »
Hey doc, most of all the marsh in under 4 feet. The back of the lake is usually the hot bite at first ice. You just have to run and gun untill you find the size you want to catch. GOOD LUCK I bought my stamps and never made it out this duck season. I think it is over on the 15 or 16.

Offline fin-stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm watchin you fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:16 AM »
Hey abishop, thanks for the report on the slough.  I might make a trip out there tomorrow to check conditions.  If so, will post.  Safe fishin to all and tear em up!!!
ICE ADDICT!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Just got off the phone with Mike. He said 3 hunting parties today, and they were all walking to the blinds. Everything is frozen up. Hopefully, after today there will be no more hunters for the next few days. That way they may open it up to fish by mid-week. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.