Author Topic: Showdown vs Flasher  (Read 5223 times)

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Showdown vs Flasher
« on: Nov 13, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Hey wanted to get an opinion on a major purchase for myself this winter...i have talked the wife into letting me get a sonar unit and have been debating whether to get a showdown or a flasher...i don't want a camera system...not reliable enough for me to spend that much money on one...my uncles swear by their vex's and marcums..but i have been hearing a lot of good things about these new showdowns...a lil help here would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Showdown vs Flasher
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2008, 12:52 PM »
I'm pretty much ready to sell my vex and get the showdown. Nothing wrong with the vex. But the Showdown has some nice features you cant get on a vex without spending twice the money. Theres a few other posts on the subject too.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2008, 05:35 PM »
I'm sure its an okay unit but the jury will be out on LONGEVITY for the next 10 yrs or so. Both the vex and marcums have proven that they are all but bulletproof units! For the cost of these units why chance it!?
It also seems that the mfg, Nature vision, has been dropping its quality over the last few years. IE: gentz rods (not like the old berkleys) the gentz reel (JUNK), that tip up jigger thing that just fell apart and the all to fish saving BUZZ rods....now gentz is having another mfg make his rods...hmmm!

i wish nature vision would have been happy with making cameras as they do it well!

What was the question again..... ;D
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2008, 06:15 PM »
LMAO :D

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2008, 06:47 PM »
Search through the Ice Fishing With Electronics forum... lots of opinions there.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Go VEX!!!  or go home.   :tipup:  ;D
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2008, 08:46 PM »
well i was trying to stay unbiased....but keep in mind the showdown has only been out 1 season.  thats Maybe 4 months of use last winter.  remember the zercoms....best thing ever...until...well most know the rest. try to find a part. REALLY not bashing it ...just would go with a proven workhorse....... then maybe later (years) get the new thing after your a little more savy on features and functions.

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2008, 12:09 PM »
okay....so i have done some other research and the jury is still out for me..it seems that the people who have them really like them, but obviously they lack some of the power and features that a vex or marcum brings to the ice....but since i have never used a flasher unit and am sorta on the don't want to listen to the wife complain budget plan..im not sure a vex or marcum unit is in my range...aaaahhhh..but i dont want to drop 230 on a total piece either..what a conundrum..

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2008, 12:30 PM »
well...not that Im bias as well..but alot of the vex guys I doubt even if the showdown was a better unit would admit it. :-\. Out of all the rest of the posts Ive read I havent seen one bullet proof reason to sway one way or the other..Aside from price. Looks nice tho..Id like to see one in action.

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2008, 12:42 PM »
I bet they are both great units but from my experience with flashers (vex FL 20) its really not that hard to use. The showdown boasts that the vertical display is less confusing than the round one but its not that bad. The fl has the bottom zoom feature which splits the circle into 2 halves which is easy to read. Took 10 minutes to understand it from never having used something in the past. the color is easier to read than grayscale in my opinion but thats just me. They are awesomely powerful and build to last, my dollars go on a vex/marcum.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2008, 01:06 PM »
I use a vex myself.  Never have used a showdown, never have used a Marcum.  Plenty of guys on this site that know their stuff that have recommended both the vex and the marcum.  Personally, I'd stick with one of those two.  Units are pretty bullet-proof and you can get into them for $230.  As an example, a reconditioned unit (fl-8) from vex is available right now for $230.  I'm sure you can get an entry level marcum for around the same price.  For that money you might also be able to find a used higher end unit on craigslist. 

Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2008, 02:58 PM »
okay...so how good is a reconditioned unit..and besides craigslist where could i find one

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Probably Ebay. There really isn't a whole lot to them. I actually just walked in the door with my new Showdown. Havent even opened the box yet.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2008, 03:44 PM »
Vexilar.com has reconditioned units

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Here's another option... reconditioned Marcum VX-1.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2008, 05:48 PM »
well...not that Im bias as well..but alot of the vex guys I doubt even if the showdown was a better unit would admit it.

played with one last winter a bit....if it were better or had more advantages.......I'd own a couple.....but
keep in mind i've been bitten more than once by the latest greatest bug. like buzz rods, remintons sp-10 semi auto (first run), vista and a few others i'm ashamed to mention (yes i fell for those too) just saying its to much of a gamble for me.
but remember BSU...no mater what you decide it will put more fish on the ice. that we all agree on! plus peoples opinions are woth what ya pay for 'em....nothing! especially mine! 

first its electronics.....next thing ya know we'll have ya looking at POWER AUGERS!!   LOL!  that was a joke!!! ;D ;D
www.showdownfishfinder.com/..this might help 
A

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2008, 06:57 PM »
My vote goes to the VEX.  I saw the showdown in action last year on the ice and was not impressed.  I do not like the grayscale vs. the 3 colors the vex provides.  It comes down to what you can afford and what you are comfortable using.  I would not worry about trying to figure out the VEX flasher.  My son easily understood it at age 12 with a 3 minute lesson.  The vex in combination with an aqua vu is a deadly combination.

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2008, 11:04 AM »
okay so essentially my choice appears to be between a reconditioned vexilar fl8se or a showdown unit...both look great...i saw this morning that in fisherman is exclusively using the showdown this season on the show..i know its more or less a marketing gimmick from nature vision but it must be pretty good if in fisherman is using it to film with all winter...the plot thickens

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Like its been said, there is no real track record for the unit. First couple-three years I'm sure it will be fine. Who knows what will happen in 3 years??? Could be dust by then. I like the idea. I bought one, actually sold my vex. If it doesn't work out, I call always get another vex or marcum, its not like there isn't plenty out there to be had. Never been a huge fan of the flasher, but you get used to it cuz its the only game in town. As we all see lately "it's a time for change" Not sure yet if its a good change or bad, but it will be a change.lol I'm looking forward to using my Showdown.

May the fish be with you. :thumbsup:

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2008, 07:34 PM »
another good point....
what other electrical toy can you buy other than a vex or marcum   and sell without taking a major hit. bought 2 fl8's years ago (10 years maybe) for 225 bucks each. could probly get 175.00 each today.  how much is my 10 yr old Dell worth? bought it for about 2k........

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:48 PM »
I have both and they are both equally effective  the showdown is easier to read

no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2008, 10:40 AM »
my thing is just as fast as computers update..there should be a change soon..altho I will give it up to the vex...its bulletproof.

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2008, 11:03 AM »
I have used them all and am amused by the comments that the Showdowns are less confusing due to the verticle display. I am involved in putting on a kids fishing event and last yr I had my 4 marcums set up with 3 to 8 yr olds using them. They all understood what they were lookingh at within minutes of use. Im not impressed wit the  Showdowns ability to show bottom density, Im also not sure how well that screen will hold up to years of bouncing across lakes like the Vex amd Marcum units have, heck even the Zercom color points will take a beating... In the 2 yrs they have been on the market I would think if they were that great you would see other Mfgers putting out a similar product.

Offline bsufishinguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2008, 07:54 PM »
good point..and thats one thing that i want is durability...i know guys that have vexs for 10 plus years with minor problems....i am really thinking about getting a reconditioned vex fl8se genz unit...i think it will be a better investment for the long run

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Maybe they havent due to patent issues, or maybe they are waiting to see how this does and follow the pack, who knows.

I wouldn't say a vex is confusing, but an automatic depth scale would be nice, instead of switching settings. Sure anyone can learn to use a vex. Some people love the Lowrance units too. Different strokes for different folks.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2008, 09:15 AM »
I am getting a little off topic here, but the 522c igps is a sweet unit. It is pricy, but also IMHO the most adustable unit on the market and Lowrance has been around for a long time.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2008, 09:24 AM »
I am getting a little off topic here, but the 522c igps is a sweet unit. It is pricy, but also IMHO the most adustable unit on the market and Lowrance has been around for a long time.

I see they are on sale with the ice kit for 550 right now.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2008, 01:13 PM »
Showdown..... ::)  I also saw it and it didnt look like much to me.....I would never get a showdown....I dont own a vexilar....but ive used them many times and they r really nice......and i am getting one this year ;D :tipup: Vex. that is

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2008, 11:37 AM »
I'm surprised noone has even mentioned the Lowrance unit
I own the x67c Ice Machine and have had not one problem
with it since I've owned it. People have said the LCD
freezes up but I fished in -10 to -15 degree weather last
year in Michigan and still....No Problems. Fishing next to
Vexlars...No Problems. All the same options as a Vexlar plus
more. And the cost was the reason I went with the Lowrance.
I would definately recommend looking in to these before you
make your purchase.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #29 on: Nov 22, 2008, 11:46 AM »
I'm surprised noone has even mentioned the Lowrance unit
I own the x67c Ice Machine and have had not one problem
with it since I've owned it. People have said the LCD
freezes up but I fished in -10 to -15 degree weather last
year in Michigan and still....No Problems. Fishing next to
Vexlars...No Problems. All the same options as a Vexlar plus
more. And the cost was the reason I went with the Lowrance.
I would definately recommend looking in to these before you
make your purchase.

Probably wasnt brought up because this was a "Showdown Vs. Flasher" thread. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.