Author Topic: Willow Slough Ice  (Read 2921 times)

Offline hunter2

• IceShanty Rookie
Willow Slough Ice
« on: Feb 19, 2008, 02:40 PM »
Just got back from checking the ice in front by the HQ open water on a little over 1/2 of the what you can see from the parking lot. Back at the hill open water were the stess crack was both to the east and west about 300 yards on either side of were it use to be. also open water in the front and to the west of what I call the split between the shore and the first little island. I didn't not check to see how much ice their was but i did walk out about 20 yards and seem to be OK. their were people fishing at the base of bird house point as well as out in the reeds. their were also people fishing off of filbert lane off of patrol road. hopefully the cold will stay with us for a while and things will lock up again as now is the time to catch those real HOGs that are out their. good luck if I didn't have to work today I would have been right their with the one that made it out their today. still have to wonder if their may not be ice under water that I could see. as I was thier on Saturday and their was a good 6 to 8 inches of good hard ice.

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Willow Slough Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Thanks Hunter2, C-ya, Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline fin-stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm watchin you fish!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2008, 10:59 PM »
Thanks for the ice report Hunter2!  Appreciate the post!!!
ICE ADDICT!

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Hello all,
My name is Jake and i'm new to this forum. I've been stationed in warm climates for the last 7 years so ice fishing seems a distant memory. Anyway to the point..I'm coming home "Lowell, IN" on leave this weekend and was thinking about going to the slough with my Dad this saturday. I see postings about open water and really slow fishing. Has anyone been out today or have a current ice/fish report. I'm really excited to get back out on the ice, but that rain last weekend and high winds this week may have ruined that. any info would be great. thank you

SSG Jake Penman
U.S. Army Recruiting Command

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Dont know for sure about the Slough but there is PLENTY of ice around.  Some lakes have 10" - 11" on them.
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2008, 11:15 AM »
thanks felix. Any recomendations?
SSG Jake Penman

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Hey Jake, they're getting on at Mormon Hill, fishing has been slow!!! Valpo Lakes have good ice, been fishing Loomis regularly. Crappies, and gills are biting. every once in awhile you get into a Walleye. GOD BLESS YOU. C-ya, Crappie Rob.

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2008, 11:30 AM »
thanks alot rob
SSG Jake Penman

Offline coondog59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Jake, Im glad your home on leave. I know what it is like to have your kids away in the military. I have three , 2 sons and my daughter, all stationed away from us, all overseas, 1 in Iraq,1 in Afganistan, 1 with nato in Spain. If you and your dad can make it, you're welcome to come with me to Bass Lake, Thurs. night. Am catching a few walleye, sorry ,but am working this weekend, wouldn't be available Thurs.,but they cancelled work on Fri.It's pretty much an evening and early night bite, but you are welcome to tag along if you'd like.Coondog

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2008, 12:37 PM »
coondog,

First off thank you and your family for the service to your country. I feel the family and the support they give is just as important as what we Soldiers do without that support we would be much less effectiive in accomplishing our missions. second unfortunately I will not be home until late Friday evening, but i really appreciate the offer. good luck on Thursday let me know how you do.
jake
SSG Jake Penman

Offline grubjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish-On - Share the Love
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Coondog59,
That was cool!
Tip-Up!  Just Playing
Grub Jigger,

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:05 PM »
ArmyJake,
       First or all thank you for your service to our country.
Next just wanted to let you know the lakes in Valpo are
safe and have been producing fish. The south side of
Long lake has been the most productive for me and as far
as Loomis goes, it has ben a few weeks since I have been
out there so any help I have probably wouldn't be any
good as of now. Hope this helps. God Bless and Stay Safe.

Tim

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:10 PM »
thanks Tim i appreciate the info and the support
SSG Jake Penman

Offline coondog59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Jake, you were more than welcome.Thanks for helping us keep our values and way of life, safe. Anytime your home, just p.m. me, and if I can,we'll be fishing.Coondog

Offline Danztrap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2008, 08:41 PM »
Stay away from Morman hill and head quarters if you want to catch fish. Find the areas away from people. Went today away from the crowds and got some nice fish. about 3-3.5 feet of water and fished about a third of the way up the water column. purple jigs with beemoths. be carefull ice is 6-7 inches one place and five feet away is skim ice or open water- Dont be carefull, be VERY CAREFULL wouldnt be hard to get in trouble out there.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2008, 01:17 PM »
thanks felix. Any recommendations?
I would if I could, (give u recommendations) But I Have been Working a down turns the last couple of weeks (12 to 16 hour days)
Hope to get out 2day or Friday. Valpo is usually good for something just not size.
And thanks for your service, you and the rest of our Military are continually in my prayers
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline coondog59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:08 AM »
Jake be glad you couldn't make it, one big crappie and one legal walleye, in 7 hrs. of fishing, oh well that's the way it happens sometimes, Coondog

Offline Armyman2007

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Slough Gills"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Fished Willow Slough today by Headquarters. It was sssssslllllllooooowwww! 6 hours = 3 bluegill  :-[ Heard the guys fishing Mormon Hill did a little better but seemed slow all over the Slough today.

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:42 AM »
Hey Guys,

Fished off patrol road in the marsh yesterday we did pretty good..we had about 6 people, 4 hours, 105 bluegills in the bucket and a ton more trown back, most about 8-10 inches. everyone one we spoke to said they limited, but the good fishing was between 6:00-7:30 a.m. hope everyone is having a great weekend.
jake
SSG Jake Penman

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2008, 07:03 PM »
          Wow Army Jake, Gald to hear you found the gills, I fish Mormon hill today. The bite was slow ended up with only 5 gills. 1 flag. I saw all the people over there in the marsh, kinda figured that was where the fish were hanging. I just wasen't up for a relocation. Guess I should have made the hike across the lake. everybody was getting a few gills around me ,most were up in the reeds. 3 fow.   High Flags   
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline seabee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I've got it bad!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Fished the Hill today, There is some very dangerous crust out to the right of the hill if you are walking onto the lake, We went to the left and got on the point about 25 yards off the cattails, Been a while since i have fished the slough, Got into a bunch of gills early when the snow was falling, most were 8 inches and larger. Wish i could have fished longer, but the wind picked up and i was tired of standing in 5 inches of slush and water. Plus it was hard to drag the shanty around.  Be Carefull!

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Thanks for the report!! C-ya, Crappie Rob.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:32 PM »
That is a lot of slush.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.