Author Topic: Wow. This snow hurts.  (Read 1638 times)

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow. This snow hurts.
« on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Went fishing for two hours tonight with my buddy.  Walked approximately 400 yards to where the fish are.  And boy did the walk out suck.  Got there and popped a few holes after my sunglasses unfogged.  Sat down and caught fish for a bit.  Ended up with only 16 between the two of us. 
Now for the walk in.  Had to take numerous breaks.  The walk in was worse than out.  Tried to follow the tracks we made out but the drifting snow had ruined that and to add to the misery there was a stretch of 50 yards that was slush.  Got home and took a picture of my boots.  Wasn't sure I was going to be able to get them off.

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
Re: Wow. This snow hurts.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:27 PM »
And the heart attack was born!!
Stay safe all!!
Don't be so tuff that you don't take a few breaks along the way. :P
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline Jawbreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Ugh. I don't envy that. At least you some and stayed safe. I think ice fishing is going to force me to work out more!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:39 PM »
They got alot less snow north of me.  Just 10 miles north was a 3-4 inch difference.  I think I will be headed north across the border this weekend to stay away from walking thru that crap.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:50 PM »
They got alot less snow north of me.  Just 10 miles north was a 3-4 inch difference.  I think I will be headed north across the border this weekend to stay away from walking thru that crap.

That would be a smart thing to do considering we got 13" plus the drifting snow. I could only imagine what the lakes look like!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:07 PM »
It sucks because we have the best ice In years but have to contend with it

Offline ryoder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I made an attempt to walk out today.. It was a workout for sure. Couldn't drag the shanty so I just took the bucket, vex, and auger. Walked almost half a mile through snow that was up to my knees. Had to take lots of breaks. Caught a bunch of little guys..and couldn't locate any worth keeping. The worst part was I decided to be done fishing for the day because my hands were frozen and it took me forever to walk back to the house. Couldn't feel my hands at all when I made it back. A little scary..

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:17 PM »
+1

Went out tonight in LaPorte. Had the snow mobile and got stuck several times. Had to walk along side of machine then walk all the way back out to drag shanties. I'm devoted, but this may make me take a couple weeks off. Did catch a couple of hog perch for the trouble.
Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:35 PM »
I was up your way over the weekend Brad and I can relate to the the trek out to the spot to fish. Wow I am getting old and out of shape!
Fish on!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Good lord, we didn't have the same amount of snow you guys did, but what little we had [6"] just about killed me tonight...lol Like AJ said going out was pretty hard, but coming back was down right tough. Many breaks to breath and rest..All said and done 15 gills for my trouble..I'm eating half of them right now, just to feel better about the whole situation!!
Paul

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:45 PM »
I haven't made it to Bass lake this year, but from memory someone seems to always plow a path out from the launch. Whom ever he is he's deserves an applause and tks   , saves people allot of wear/tear.
When the snows just 4-5" I have to stop/take a break about every 20 ft. So I don't go far, stinks getting old and out-of-shape. When its 10-12" I just stay home. Anyone ever try snow shoes, wonder if that makes it easier.

Quads are heavy so ice has to be real thick for them. I was wondering if a small mini-bike would work, anybody ever tried something that small, it would be allot lighter.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:53 PM »
Holy crap, just got back home the snow made it tough, got some good fish but it was a workout, im 27 and i was wore out pullin shanty power auger and supplies about 250 yards but comin back was waaaaay wose, be safe out there fellas and fish with a buddy

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:30 AM »
i was gonna get on here and chime in about hoofing it through the(crunchy/frozen) snow, till i saw how much snow some of yall have...guess i wont complain ;)

HB

Offline thinktwicez71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:34 AM »
glad you made it home ok  :tipup:

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:37 AM »
I have about 22" on the flat in my back yard in Hobart. That's enough now!!!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline frabil junky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • drop em down
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:47 AM »
Dude we have 16-18" of ice dont worry about driving a quad out there. Mini bike?  You could drive a small truck or jeep out there. I was fishing lake of the woods and upper red minn in december and we were driving my truck 6-10 miles from shore on 22-24" of ice. There were thousands of people out on the ice with trucks and trailers. Se have awesome ice just sucks the snow is so deep
Frabill Junky

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:52 AM »
Just hope nobody has a heart attack out there. Play it safe and fish with a buddy.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Dude we have 16-18" of ice dont worry about driving a quad out there. Mini bike?  . .......

Not worried about the safety of useing a quad on the ice, thats not why I ask about a mini bike.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen or tried one, will they it work. I don't have a MB but if they would work, they would be cheaper to buy, lighter than a quad so you could take them out on thinner ice. Around my area normally ice doesn't get that thick so a mini bike could be used earlier in the season than a quad. That is why I ask about one, not the safety part.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Spike the tires and a mini bike or an enduro would probably cut through the snow better then a quad. Sounds like it would work.

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Not worried about the safety of useing a quad on the ice, thats not why I ask about a mini bike.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen or tried one, will they it work. I don't have a MB but if they would work, they would be cheaper to buy, lighter than a quad so you could take them out on thinner ice. Around my area normally ice doesn't get that thick so a mini bike could be used earlier in the season than a quad. That is why I ask about one, not the safety part.

Someone tried it.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Thought I was gonna Die last night!!! Didn't think to bring the Smitty sled............... :'( :-\
Daaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:16 PM »
we have enough ice on many lakes you can drive a full size 1 ton pick up truck on it.. if u want to use a quad and get a path busted open feel free to do so, gonna take alot of work to get it though unless its already opened then just have to maintain it. if ur going to bust open a virgin trail. i suggest using a v-plow. is goin to save u LOTS of time and wear and tear. with that said, insurance wont cover u if u drop it through. so know rhe ice your on. (springs, currents, stuff like that) if u wanna plow at bass lake from the public access. yes ull be fine to do so! i would do it my self but i am far too busy with plowing and snow removal as it is. good luck and catch em all cause i cant go carch any, anytime soon!
Got one goin'!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:09 PM »
we have enough ice on many lakes you can drive a full size 1 ton pick up truck on it.. if u want to use a quad and get a path busted open feel free to do so, gonna take alot of work to get it though unless its already opened then just have to maintain it. if ur going to bust open a virgin trail. i suggest using a v-plow. is goin to save u LOTS of time and wear and tear. with that said, insurance wont cover u if u drop it through. so know rhe ice your on. (springs, currents, stuff like that) if u wanna plow at bass lake from the public access. yes ull be fine to do so! i would do it my self but i am far too busy with plowing and snow removal as it is. good luck and catch em all cause i cant go carch any, anytime soon!

I wish!! Powers that be won't let any motorized vehicles on most of the lakes I fish...Be great to have a plowed road to several areas on Summit..

Paul
Paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.