The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Lost/Stolen Gear  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Klimshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lost/Stolen Gear
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some eyes and ears help from fellow fishermen/women.  I dumped my pack basket (yes it was bungeed down) yesterday when crossing rt35 by the Standish boat launch.  My gear was inside a liner that was synched shut.  I realized it about 5-10 minutes out on Sebago and immediately turned around and did 60 back to the road.  The liner popped loose and came out with everything when I was hugging the road.  long story short, I'm out $700 in gear.  Please keep your eyes (Craigslist, Marketplace) open during your internet travels.  5 brand new Jack Traps light and dark wood, green and orange flags,  Each in a red nylon sleeve.  Two jigging poles, one open face the other inline.  I also had a small cabela's soft case with a couple hundred dollars worth of lures and gear.  Sick to my stomach right now.  Thanks in advance....

Chris

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lost/Stolen Gear
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Chris, I can't help but certainly feel bad about your situation. I hope that IS nation can help you retrieve your gear

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:49 PM »
That's a real bummer Chris, that would make me sick as well.

Hopefully, someone honest will return your gear to you.

A little late to close the barn after the cattle is gone but marking your gear
helps a lot. Not everyone has access to trap tags but I have mine on all my wooden traps.
If the person is dishonest, it won't matter on how they are marked.

I don't do Facebook but the word would get out there for sure.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Klimshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:48 PM »

A little late to close the barn after the cattle is gone but marking your gear
helps a lot.

I know, that's the biggest thing that I'm bummed about.  I've never lost anything in the 40yrs I've been fishing.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Like Bob says, go on the Ice Fishing Maine groups ( there are several) on Facebank and that's your best bet to spread the word. Maybe someone will step up. Good luck
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Don't forget to check local police, someone may have turned it in

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Don't forget to check local police, someone may have turned it in
.  Also, how about a spot in your area where people might go for bait, could let them know and they could put a message up for you.

Offline Klimshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:35 PM »
Thanks everyone. Yes covered all those bases. Filed a report with CC Sheriff, posted on the Maine ice fishing Facebook page, notified pawn shops. Someone grabbed them off of the road. Maybe it’s an honest individual that just doesn’t know who’s they were but most likely a dirtbag taking advantage of an opportunity. Tons of vehicle break-ins at the boat launch this winter. Who knows , maybe someone will get the word and return them.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:40 PM »
I hope you get your equipment back.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:21 AM »
Sucks Chris for sure

I posted about a FOUND pack basket last year after the Embden derby on/around this time of year. I contacted the organizers, the bait shops, Facebook( not a user) with no luck getting the gear returned. I still have it in the condition I found it.I didn't want to describe the gear until someone contacted me to describe it.

If your gear doesn't show up; and I don't know how you feel about it, but I'd hand over this basket to you. The circumstances were odd how this basket was left, I could talk to you about it. Comparable gear.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:00 AM »
My spare tire to my snowmobile trailer fell off the back of our truck last wed. in North windham . We turned right around but somebdy picked it
up and we couldn't catch up with him due to traffic

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I know how you feel, Hang in there , I hope you get your gear back.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some eyes and ears help from fellow fishermen/women.  I dumped my pack basket (yes it was bungeed down) yesterday when crossing rt35 by the Standish boat launch.  My gear was inside a liner that was synched shut.  I realized it about 5-10 minutes out on Sebago and immediately turned around and did 60 back to the road.  The liner popped loose and came out with everything when I was hugging the road.  long story short, I'm out $700 in gear.  Please keep your eyes (Craigslist, Marketplace) open during your internet travels.  5 brand new Jack Traps light and dark wood, green and orange flags,  Each in a red nylon sleeve.  Two jigging poles, one open face the other inline.  I also had a small cabela's soft case with a couple hundred dollars worth of lures and gear.  Sick to my stomach right now.  Thanks in advance....

Chris

Sorry to hear, hope it turns up for you.   

One time after wishing Otters with a buddy, we were both loading gear into the car.  I wasn't far down 237 when we realized the canoe carrier had been left at the lot, maybe 20 minutes +/-.  Gone by the time we got back to the lot.  I called the Water District hoping maybe one of their reps had picked it up but never received a response.   Hope you fare better.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Howdy K....   Wow.... that really sucks!  How about puttin up a sign at the road crossin  "REWARD for return of fishing bag" ???   Got my fingers crossed for yah!!!   O.P.    :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline intothedeep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:19 PM »
Once had wheel come off my boat trailer on ME turnpike and end up in median. Turnpike pickup truck worker stopped and picked it up about 200 yards from where I pulled over. I thought he was going to stop and give it to me but he drove right past me and kept going !

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:19 PM »
I found a chainsaw in the road early one morning during hunting season. I picked it up and put a sign up at the local store about a mile down the road saying "found your saw" and listed my number. The guy called later that day and described it to a T. Happened to be someone I new.

You probably already have, but you may want to check near by stores and ask the clerks. Good luck!

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Someone stole my single place snowmobile trailer off my truck while I was fishing last weekend. It was locked, they smashed it off.

I was parked at the boat launch on Route 121 in Oxford. I was on Thompson about 3/4 mile out on the lake.

&!#% junkies.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Somebody like that they need their hand chopped off like the muslims do. Il faut encourage les autres.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Sucks you lost your stuff by being careless but it's a bit of a stretch TO ME to say it was stolen because someone picked it up on the side of the road. IF you had your things labeled with your name and number it would be easier for the finder to get them back to you or to prove they were yours if it came down to it. Not everyone that finds things is going to go to much effort to find the owner. The pain of losing things will make you a lot more careful with them in the future. Getting things actually stolen is a different matter, it's a lot harder to guard against, if someone wants something bad enough they are going to get it. But at least then you can be mad at someone else and not yourself.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2018, 12:28 PM »
Sucks you lost your stuff by being careless but it's a bit of a stretch TO ME to say it was stolen because someone picked it up on the side of the road. IF you had your things labeled with your name and number it would be easier for the finder to get them back to you or to prove they were yours if it came down to it. Not everyone that finds things is going to go to much effort to find the owner. The pain of losing things will make you a lot more careful with them in the future. Getting things actually stolen is a different matter, it's a lot harder to guard against, if someone wants something bad enough they are going to get it. But at least then you can be mad at someone else and not yourself.
If you find $700 worth of gear and don't do your best to find the owner, you might of well just have stole it. Because you can bet the owner will come back to look for it and it won't be there. With today's social media the person has a good chance of finding the owner. Hopefully whoever picked it up will do the right thing.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2018, 01:13 PM »

I'm not going to debate your choice of the word "careless", as he took pains to tie it in the basket and perhaps the word "stolen" in the subject title doesn't fit the dictionary definition but I know the person who lost it didn't intend to say that it was stolen. When you lose something of value, there is a spontaneous reaction to vent your frustration of the loss. Obviously, the owner realizes that if he had labeled all his gear, he might have a better chance of getting it back but I doubt that at this point. If an honest person had found it, there would have been word of it somewhere out here in the internet world or local law enforcement. How many of us have everything labeled? Whoever found it apparently hasn't attempted to return it and I'm sure that person is aware of the loss through social media. To be technical... you are legally required to follow a statutory procedure on found property here in Maine. In my career, I have to admit that I don't recall seeing that statue followed.
Whoever found it just has to look over their shoulder when using it or live with their conscience after selling it!

Maine Revised Statutes; Title 33: PROPERTY
Chapter 21: LOST GOODS   
§1051. Duty of finder of money or goods worth $3 or more
Whoever finds lost money or goods of the value of $3 or more shall, if the owner is unknown, within 7 days give notice thereof in writing to the clerk of the town where the money or goods are found and post a notification thereof in some public place in said town. If the value is $10 or more, the finder, in addition to the notice to the town clerk and the notification to be posted, shall, within one month after finding, publish a notice thereof in some newspaper published in the town, if any, otherwise in some newspaper published in the county.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Isn’t the title of the thread lost/stolen gear?

cjg: I hope you feel better. Maybe being nasty on Internet forums like this will save the next stray dog you come across.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2018, 03:14 PM »
Isn’t the title of the thread lost/stolen gear?

cjg: I hope you feel better. Maybe being nasty on Internet forums like this will save the next stray dog you come across.
I feel fine. I label my stuff, and if I found something I'd try to find the owner. Calling someone who "found" your stuff a thief is being nasty in my opinion. Anyone who can have a packbasket full of gear fall off their snowmobile and not notice is being careless IMO. The post was the day after he "lost" it and it was "Stolen" from the side of the road. Who knows who "found" it possibly someone without the internet. The way people are breaking into vehicles everywhere and stealing everything in sight I'd be surprised if it ever turns up. Probly been sold already for dope money.
Oh and I have 2 dogs, they're fine. I've taken in strays before, one of the best dogs I've ever had, turned out to be a good hunter, killed over 400 birds with her.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.