Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 113701 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #210 on: Oct 03, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Reading their post on Facebook, it looks like they just changed the company that does their US distribution to Power Distributors. It didn't really sound like they sold out, just changed how they will distribute to the dealers. Also, they use a Briggs and Stratton motor, (US designed, available worldwide) but the machine is still imported from Russia.

This is correct Garrett, Just a change of the distributor in the mid west region.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #211 on: Oct 19, 2018, 07:01 AM »
So, with season rapidly approaching, any new mods or upgrades, or general snowdog news...?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Oct 19, 2018, 07:11 AM »
So, with season rapidly approaching, any new mods or upgrades, or general snowdog news...?

Actually No, mboss. We are still waiting for the upgraded reverse gearing to get here and have no info yet as to how much it will cost or when it will be available. I have not yet heard if this years models are equipped with the new system or not but possibly those out west might be able to check with their dealers on this. I will do some snooping but I am a long way from any dealers here in the Hudson Valley.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #213 on: Oct 19, 2018, 08:15 AM »
So, I just had a good discussion with a dealer up in Maine, Jack traps tip ups has a retail store and they are a dealer for Snowdog. He was well aware of the complaints most of us have either with or without the reverse gear from last years models. Those who did not get the reverse wanted it and those who did get the old style reverse hated it. He just received this years new models with the updated reverse which he claims is excellent and it is actuated from the handle bars. He has not heard anything about kits for those of us to upgrade our older last years models but is checking into it for me. Just so you know, on the old reverse units you had to go up front and under the cover to switch it into reverse. You also had to rock the machine back and forth to align the reverse cog for it to engage. The new reverse is smooth and operated from the handle bars plus they have changed the weight distribution on the sled itself to make it more stable.

On a side note, jacktraps.com is a premium dealer and great people to deal with in person or on line. IMO they make the best tip ups money can buy in all sorts of different sizes and styles plus they sell just about any ice gear we could hope to find. Yes, they are a bit pricey but believe me, you get what you pay for when buying high quality traps. Check out their web site when you get a chance.

Gam

Offline FLAGGG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #214 on: Oct 19, 2018, 10:18 AM »
To my New York State snow dog owners Are you required to register the machine as a atv or snowmobile or agricultural (farm) machine I know how ny likes to regulate everything

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Oct 19, 2018, 03:34 PM »
To my New York State snow dog owners Are you required to register the machine as a atv or snowmobile or agricultural (farm) machine I know how ny likes to regulate everything

So far as I know NY does not quite know how to tax and regulate these track sleds YET! Maybe some guys up north might have been questioned by an ECO but I have not had any interaction with them yet. I do know the DMV says there is no registration avenue for them yet because they are not listed as a motor vehicle YET. They do not have VIN numbers just possibly serial numbers and probably on the engines. As you are well aware NY will eventually figure out some way to dig into our pockets once they become more popular.

Gam

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Oct 30, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Looks like a few new accessories have popped on the snowdog site. Hope to inspect them at the St. Paul Ice show. Am thinking of welding together some sort of clip on auger carrier. I am thinking of switching to a Nero 7" with just a dewalt 996, so it would be pretty compact. That way the drill wouldn't touch snow and would have a nice place to rest when not in use.

I saw a guy with a rifle mount on fb, but I need my to be removable so that the handles can still be folded and the dog still fits on the little cargo carrier either in its sled or with the sled over it.

In fact, I have been using a cheap steel cargo carrier from Menards, and it is bending pretty good, when I put the snowdog in the sled on it. I'm thinking of getting the wheelchair aluminum carrier from Harbor Freight. I thought that way I could just drive the snowdog on and put the sled on top of it. The back of my Tacoma has the eskimo sierra or the otter thermal hub for the super cold days with a second otter sled.....

As much as it is convenient I plan on driving the truck less on the ice, other than maybe in middle of January when it is brutally cold. Instead hope to use the snowdog more this year.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #217 on: Oct 30, 2018, 09:45 AM »
For carrying a dog out back from a 2" hitch the guys on my motorcycle forum all highly recommend the Versa hauler one. Not sure if it will work or they have one that will for the dog but according to them it is a substantial rack and can handle the weight of our MCs just fine. My very first ice trip with the Snowdog I used my utility trailer and drove about 100 miles on crappy roads. Boy was that a bad move. The dog was covered with sand and salt and the pop up shanty was completely trashed with the crap. I went and bought a used enclosed snowmobile trailer that serves 2 purposes, carries all my gear and the dog keeping them clean plus is a perfect storage shed for the off season for all of my ice gear. I used to store my pop up in the shed and last year when I was getting things ready I found the mice made a home in my clam and ate the cover in a few spots plus they pissed all over inside it. Just having bought the new pro resort Otter 3 man pop up I wasn't about to store that in a barn or shed where mice could get near it. They can't get in the snowmobile trailer at all because that flip up cap seals tight all the way around.

Gam

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:19 PM »
For those building thier own, this is the video that inspired me. I shamelessly copied this. Guess if it's on the web it's fair game. You Tube    Home made snowmobile/tracked vehicle      perdolt   Sorry I don't know how to link

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Nov 12, 2018, 12:05 AM »
I absolutely do not recommend the swivel seat unless you are going to put it on and leave it there. It is a real bear to put on and take off. I took the seat off the bracket and mounted it on something else. Save yourself $200 and pass on that seat.Other than that, I am super happy with mine....Reverse would be nice, but not necessary for me.It took a couple tries, but loading and unloading into the truck are a piece of cake now.

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #220 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:05 PM »
I absolutely do not recommend the swivel seat unless you are going to put it on and leave it there. It is a real bear to put on and take off. I took the seat off the bracket and mounted it on something else. Save yourself $200 and pass on that seat.Other than that, I am super happy with mine....Reverse would be nice, but not necessary for me.It took a couple tries, but loading and unloading into the truck are a piece of cake now.
You Know , you kind of made my mind up for me. I purchased the 13hp. compact last year, and kind of wished that it had the reverse feature , to make moving it around easier.But if you actually think of the times that you really need a reverse gear? Not so much. Plus who knows how much the reverse kit will actually cost.Snow dog doesn't know , yet. If you guys notice parts for these things are not that cheap. So it just seems to me anyway, not to be worth it anymore. Thanks for changing my mind for me ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:37 PM »
Reverse is not necessary for all of us. In my case dragging that thing backwards off a trailer or out of my shed at 66 or even unsticking it if it gets stuck just is not in the cards. I bought this to do the work and not to be the workout. You say you bought the 13 HP compact but I am pretty sure the 13 HPs are all the standard size and certainly not the Compact ones. I could be wrong there though and we don't have many Snowdogs around here just yet. I wish I could actually see a new 2018 model that does have the reverse and a few other updates but I'd have to drive close to 200 miles to find one right now. My very first time out on my brand new 13 HP Standard I got yanked a bit off the path and ended up with small trees on both sides and a big tree in front. I could not yank it backward and I could not go forward, right or left. I had to walk home and get my tractor to drag it out. Reverse would have had me out in a minute. You are of course right and reverse is probably a little used option but for use older guys it could be the savior. Just think if your car or truck only went in forward gear and had no reverse at all. Yes, price will be a very important part of this upgrade. What ever the difference in price is between a standard with and a standard without reverse is is what the kit should cost us. Last year if I could have found a reverse model they were $200 more and I had that in my pocket when I bought it. My first snowmobile didn't have reverse and I couldn't sell that POS fast enough, my riding lawn mower has reverse so what's the big deal?. I don't need a swivel seat or any seat actually and am perfectly fine standing or sitting on a milk crate to get to my fishing spots.

Gam

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Recently I have seen a few videos of Snowdogs with LED bar lights on them as an optional modification instead of the stock small single one that comes with the unit. Should definetly throw more light for night time driving. thinking of doing this mod myself, but am a little concerned with increased battery draw leaving me stranded. Any experienced with this please chime in.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #223 on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:31 PM »
LED lights have very low current draw.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Nov 28, 2018, 05:16 PM »
YUP! LED lights draw less than half what standard lights draw and Tractor Supply carries a nice assortment of them.

Gam

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Nov 28, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Amazon for lights

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #226 on: Nov 28, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Not sure how legal this would be in Ontario.
Can it be registered as an off road or snow vehicle?
Can insurance be bought for use off your private property?

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Nov 28, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Not sure how legal this would be in Ontario.
Can it be registered as an off road or snow vehicle?
Can insurance be bought for use off your private property?

As far as we know it doesn’t quite fall under either MSVA or ORV.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:06 PM »
There are some bi dealers in Ontario. They must be allowed somewhere.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Sully55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #229 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:48 AM »
[

If you dont mind me asking did you have anything like prints to look at to build it? Really would like one because I pulled my otter ice shanty by hand last year.... not this year.quote author=metalbender link=topic=335401.msg3562476#msg3562476 date=1481598590]
Please post a pic of the new Snow Dog and your ear to ear grin as you cruise  around.  More guys need to be exposed to these machines.  They are more fun than fast. I've had lots of fisher folk wave me over to have a look.  I also carry mine on a hitch mount rack, the Evo 2 and riding sled fit in my Jeep.  The one on the rack is the first build, 7 hp, pull start. The second has a wider track, 15 hp and electric start.

[/quote]

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Dec 07, 2018, 06:07 PM »
See post 218. That tube video started it for me. Watched lots of other vids, usually Russian, for ideas. They run from crude to sophisticated. The factory ones seem to be very well done. With a well equipped shop, professional results are attainable.

Offline mkiburz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:01 PM »

Snowdogs do not need to be registered.   but you know this state

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:20 AM »
At present here in NY the Snowdog is not yet considered a vehicle. Much the same as a walk behind snow blower with tracks. I do not think there is anything illegal if you bring your snow blower out on the ice to blow away a path around your trap lines and it is not illegal to have your plow on a registered ATV and do the same. No one know what the future will bring regarding the SD and you are 100% correct that NY will want their cut of the action eventually. As far as the DMV is concerned they are not yet listed as vehicles and do not come with VIN (Vehicle Identification Numbers) so NOT register-able. It could remain this way since they do not have an actual steering gear.

Gam

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Mines
Built from old Polaris snowmobile. Absolutely amazing machine. Kept the chaincase and retained reverse and relocated to handlebars. Now I’m wishing I had electric start. Wider track would be nice but I can
Lean this thing hard and turn pretty damn sharp.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Well done.  What top speed is it geared for?

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #235 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Gearing was one of the toughest things to figure out, before I found this thread I based my build from a YouTube video and went with the tav2. Later I found out I was asking a bit too much and eventually realized I had to go with the biggest sized sprocket on the jackshaft as possible In order for the torque converter to perform optimally and have enough torque to spin that track no matter how much weight I had Behind it. Finally I’m there and things are the best they’ve been, I can rev the engine all the way up under any situation and feather the throttle so I don’t spin the track lol. I don’t have an exact top speed but my guess is around 20 km/h. Which I’m sure you know is plenty fast enough because I’ve wiped out at full clip and that wasn’t fun hahaha and I’m a younger guy, felt it for days hahahah. Your builds are quite impressive bender.
I’ve got another one about to start being built.
Made from another old sled and instead of the tav2 I’ve got a  reversing transmission with a 2.37:1 gear ratio we’re going to add in because this old sled didn’t have reverse and we have deciced reverse is essential.

This is #2 still has a way to go.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #236 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Once the bug bites ha ha

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #237 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Hahha yep, what kind of top speed have you gotten out of your 7 and 15 hp models with the 2:1 wet clutch?

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #238 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Mine’s geared for about 12 mph. Plenty fast enough for riding in a sled with no suspension.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:58 AM »
!0 - 15 MPH is plenty fast enough. Last year on 2-3 inches of flat snow my buddy ran his ATV along side of me. Going full throttle and dead straight with my 13.5 SD I was able to hit just over 20 MPH with just me standing in the sled. That is wicked fast and I would never even think about going full throttle when dragging a sled with gear behind my stand up sled. I feel best just cruising along at around 10 MPH while pulling the train and am thrilled I no longer have to use leg power at all. I believe the SD track is 20 inches wide. It would probably be nice if they made one around 24 inches wide which might help when going up a steep launch ramp and towing a good load. The machine has no problem at all just going up with me in the sled behind but if towing other stuff it can lose traction and dig right down. Our ramps here are usually just lose stones and I have no problems if there is a good snow pack from other snow machines but if I am first or the stones are not already frozen solid to the ground the track will spin and throw stones if it bogs down.

Also keep in mind when dragging a few sleds the condition I call Wagging the Dog is ever present. Not so much on top of a snow covered lake but a wild ride on bare ice. The dog with the screw studded track stays straight but the sleds behind wander all over and can spin you out. I bet Metal Bender could figure out and design a set of ice scratchers to install on the shanty sled that would keep it in line and could be deployed only when needed.

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.