Author Topic: Waiting for open water.  (Read 1093 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Waiting for open water.
« on: May 24, 2019, 06:24 AM »
While sitting around waiting for open water  iread this about my favorite place to go,The Grand Mesa.
Picture of the Grand Mesa Visitor Center on 5/21/19, As of 5/22/19 the Grand Mesa has received 28 1/2 inches of new snow in the last 5 days. Forecast expecting 10-12 more inches by Friday. 6-6 1/2 feet of snow on the ground. No roads open except for Hwy 65. Ward Creek Reservoir inlet open water, Beaver lake open water, Jumbo lake open water. Island Lake 42" of thick ice. Weekend forecast for the Grand Mesa NF: Saturday-mostly sunny, high of 50, Sunday-Sunny, high of 53. Grand Mesa Visitor Center will open at 9am on Friday May 24th, Visitor Center will be stocked with rocky Mountain Conservancy Educational items for sale. Dress appropriately for deep snow conditions and winter weather if you come up to visit. Notice the 42" of ice still up there.

<===Lefty===

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Waiting for open water.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:15 AM »
wow that's wild

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:56 AM »
wow that's wild
What is wild is they have had 568" of snow this year. Normal high of 420".
<===Lefty===

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Lefty2053 what is the elevations of the Grand Mesa Visitor's Center and Island Lake. There maybe a Winter Kill of fish in Island Lake if the ice remains to much longer unless there are in flows and out flows of open water to bring oxygenated water into the lake. Thank you for the photograph. I live in south eastern New York at an elevation under one thousand feet hard for me to imagine some place getting that much snow each Winter.
Steve

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 02:54 PM »
10,600' Island lake is over 60' deep. Never had winter kill as far as I know. State record Splake came out it also. But you could be right about the winter kill. THat much ice is going to take a while to thaw.
<===Lefty===

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:27 AM »
Thank you for the reply hope I'm wrong about the Winter kill of fish.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.