Author Topic: FL22 or LX5?  (Read 4591 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: FL22 or LX5?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I love my 7, took a couple trips to get the hang of it though, still use the 5 for hole hopping since the wife wont let go of the 7 in the shack....

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:20 AM »
That sounds great! Christmas is coming on Friday instead of Tuesday! I will do a review of what I think after Saturday. My Vex buddy still thinks I crazy for going with another Marcum after not liking the LX7. The LX 7 is nice but I prefer it to be simple and I felt like I was looking at a video game instead of a flasher.
 Matt

I'd listen to him. My friend has the LX 7, which he hasn't liked since buying, and drools over my FL22.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:29 AM »
I did try to order a fl22 but they were out of stock where I was ordering from till the 21 St of Jan. So I have always wanted to try the lx5 and they were in stock so I ordered it. Withe the way the season was so short here last year I didn't want to miss any time on the ice either. You always have to be own to new ideas. Who knows I may love the lx5 and not want to go back to vex. Only time with the lx5 will tell.

I'd listen to him. My friend has the LX 7, which he hasn't liked since buying, and drools over my FL22.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:03 AM »
I get a kick out some peoples comments that one unit is so superior.. Only huge difference in all flashers is the zoom capability...I wouldn't buy one without it. Ive owned an Fl-18, LX 3TC, LX 5 and Fl 22. My buddies fish with 2 Ice 55's. None of the machines will bring in more fish then the other..if you believe the marketing gimmicks you're not so bright. Target separation....if a fish is 3/4 of an inch or 1 and 1/2"s away you know to get ready. Half the time when I have a solid red bar I don't keep my eyes on the flasher to worry if its 3/4 or 1" away.. I'm ready for the bite.
I sold my Lx-5 last season just because I preferred how the colors in the vex seem to blend from green to yellow to red vs just blink like the Marcum...just a personal preference.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:17 AM »
What will he take for his 7?  Maybe just a little too much technology?  I have a 7 and it's great.  Leaps and bounds over the 5 I have.  I'd take another 7 as a spare, in a heartbeat.
Maybe your friend just needs a little help understanding the 7 and how to adjust it and how it works.  Or maybe it's got a problem, in which case he should send it in for repairs.  Marcum will stand behind their product.
That's JMO.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:29 AM »
I agree but I have been fishing gills and had to use my flasher to know when to set the hook because the bite was so light. I never said I bought this and sold that to caught more fish. I just like to try new ice fishing  gear then I will know what MY personal favorite it is. I posted this thread together everyone's view on why they like the flasher they use. I feel that its a good tool for someone who is on the fence between two products to get actual use input instead of just looking on the manufacturers website. According to them if u use there product U will caught more fish! Lol

I get a kick out some peoples comments that one unit is so superior.. Only huge difference in all flashers is the zoom capability...I wouldn't buy one without it. Ive owned an Fl-18, LX 3TC, LX 5 and Fl 22. My buddies fish with 2 Ice 55's. None of the machines will bring in more fish then the other..if you believe the marketing gimmicks you're not so bright. Target separation....if a fish is 3/4 of an inch or 1 and 1/2"s away you know to get ready. Half the time when I have a solid red bar I don't keep my eyes on the flasher to worry if its 3/4 or 1" away.. I'm ready for the bite.
I sold my Lx-5 last season just because I preferred how the colors in the vex seem to blend from green to yellow to red vs just blink like the Marcum...just a personal preference.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:35 AM »

It wasn't a Techno issue with the lx7. I just didn't care for the screen. I know to guys that love that may sound crazy but it just isn't for me. I will probably end up with another fl22 but until I try the lx5 i wont know. I may love the lx 5 and never look back.

quote author=FISHFORPIKE link=topic=233822.msg2362609#msg2362609 date=1356020227]
What will he take for his 7?  Maybe just a little too much technology?  I have a 7 and it's great.  Leaps and bounds over the 5 I have.  I'd take another 7 as a spare, in a heartbeat.
Maybe your friend just needs a little help understanding the 7 and how to adjust it and how it works.  Or maybe it's got a problem, in which case he should send it in for repairs.  Marcum will stand behind their product.
That's JMO.
[/quote]

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:56 PM »
What will he take for his 7?  Maybe just a little too much technology? I have a 7 and it's great.  Leaps and bounds over the 5 I have.  I'd take another 7 as a spare, in a heartbeat.
That's JMO.

Ya right, he's an Electrical Engineer for Lockheed Martin. You know that little baby currently roaming around on Mars, well let's just say technology isn't his weak suit.

It just doesn't even compare to his FL 20 in his opinion. That was all it took for me to go with the FL22 and now he wants one too.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Ya right, he's an Electrical Engineer for Lockheed Martin. Technology isn't his weak suit.

It just doesn't even compare to his FL 20 in his opinion. That was all it took for me to go with the FL22 and now he wants one too.
Cool - how much?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Ya right, he's an Electrical Engineer for Lockheed Martin. You know that little baby currently roaming around on Mars, well let's just say technology isn't his weak suit.

I'm no engineer but IMO the 5 and 7 are light years ahead of the 20 and 22, just based on my experiences using both side by side....But everyone has their own opinion, keeps the world spinning....

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:11 PM »
yeah but the dude is an engineer for lockheed martin....i would copy cat every technological purchase a guy like that would make.  i mean if he works for LM, he would know whats the best tv, microwave, and flasher would be right?

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I ordered the LX 5! I got it from Sportsman Guide. I'm a member of there club so I got 10% off plus free 3 day shipping for $449. I figure I'll try the LX 5 for this season and if I don't like it I'll sell it and go back to the FL 22. It will be nice sitting in the shack with peace and quiet. Thanks to all that have posted on this thread. If any LX 5 guys have pointers on tips for using the Lx 5 that would be a big help.
 Thanks Again!
  Matt

Don't forget the $50 rebate too!
  BE THERE!

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Thanks for telling me about the $50 rebate but where do I find the info on it? I went to the Marcum website and could not find anything on it.
 Thanks for the heads up!
  Matt

Don't forget the $50 rebate too!

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2012, 05:55 PM »
I know marcum did this last year and humminbird has it this year .Didn't see marcum adds this year. Good luck though every dollar helps.
Fishin red lines

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2012, 06:42 PM »
yeah but the dude is an engineer for lockheed martin

Are you sure he just didn't sleep at a holiday inn express?

It only means that he chose that unit based on his preferences and the way he fishes, I work with many different types of engineers and I wouldn't copy half of the things they purchase or do.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Are you sure he just didn't sleep at a holiday inn express?

It only means that he chose that unit based on his preferences and the way he fishes, I work with many different types of engineers and I wouldn't copy half of the things they purchase or do.

Good point most engineers I deal with or friends that have that degree arent always the sharpest crayon in the box....

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:38 PM »

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:05 PM »
Have had the LX-5 for 4 years now, purchased the LX-7 last year.  I tend to grab the LX-5 out of habit because I get in the zone when I flip to super fine line.  The 7 has that as well but old habits die hard and the upgrade took a while to make the 7 fishable in the short season we had up here last year.  I like dynamic depth on the 7, drop the transducer down and start fishing, no need to adjust the scale.

My buddy who is on the Vex pro staff fishes the FL22 and last year he had trouble reading correct bottom depth in weeds.  Got so mad he called and sent it back, they sent a new one out and all was fine.  When I compared my marks on the 5 and 7 with the 22, there was a big difference, the Vex marks are thick but once they are red on any flasher, your eyes are looking at the rod tip.   The target separation on my LX-5/7 made the 22 look like my daughter was water coloring on it, the marks are just too wide and the colors blend into one another.  I guess if I fished with a Vex, I would not care for the distinct colors the 5/7 offer.

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:13 AM »
74redone. Marcum is giving away a free rapala tackle pack worth 80.00 with purchase of lx-5. I went to pro fishing supply and they have the rebate form there.  Good until January 15th I believe.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Thanks HVFD14 sent me the link and its in the mail today!
 Thanks guys for the heads up!

74redone. Marcum is giving away a free rapala tackle pack worth 80.00 with purchase of lx-5. I went to pro fishing supply and they have the rebate form there.  Good until January 15th I believe.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2012, 12:28 PM »
I agree but I have been fishing gills and had to use my flasher to know when to set the hook because the bite was so light. I never said I bought this and sold that to caught more fish. I just like to try new ice fishing  gear then I will know what MY personal favorite it is. I posted this thread together everyone's view on why they like the flasher they use. I feel that its a good tool for someone who is on the fence between two products to get actual use input instead of just looking on the manufacturers website. According to them if u use there product U will caught more fish! Lol

Ive never fished for gills so I can't comment on whether the LX-5 or 7 is better then the FL-22. I target walleye, usally big girls in the 6-14 lb range so any flasher works well when they roll in. If I had no flasher I might buy an LX 7 though...they look pretty cool.

Offline smchop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 25, 2012, 08:52 PM »
 Get an LX5 and don't look back, you will be very happy!!!!!! ;D

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I got the LX5 and took it out for its first trip today. I really like it! It has cleaner crisper lines than my buddies FL18. I am going to move the head up to make more room under the head so it is easier to put the transducer away. Other than that is is very nice. its nice hole hopping just using the arm to hold the transducer other than using the float setup. I fished in 20 FOW today and it took very little gain to see my jig. I caught some 12" crappies and some 8-9" gills. It was a great first day on the ice with a new toy! Thanks for everyone who replied to this thread give there opinions.
 Tight Lines!
  Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.