New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sodus Bay  (Read 38695 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Sodus Bay
« Reply #180 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I heard a bubbler????

Offline reeltime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:27 AM »
yes a machine went in south side of eagle island, it was a good thing there were 2 younger folks with the driver of the machine and they were able to get him out.  as trap said it was a bubbler issue,  supposedly a dock bubbler tipped over and was blowing water out from the dock and made a weak spot off shore. the machine went through in roughly 20 foot of water. 

the driver has years of experience on the ice but with the snow cover the bad area could not be seen.  accidents can happen to anyone and even with the extreme cold and all the reports of 10-12 inches of ice on the bay there is NOT safe ice on the entire bay.

Be safe, be prepared and be helpful if you see someone venturing somewhere they shouldn't be. 

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #182 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I was fishing  in 10 ft. of water off the SE corner of Eagle on Thursday and the ice was only 7 inches and NOT good quality with no bubblers around! You need to be extra careful when these thaws come producing lots of water on the ice and flowing water. There is at times a  north to south current along the eastern  shore of Eagle  which can erode ice more quickly.

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #183 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Couple of buddies went out of 3rd creek today. Took the walk to 30fow and did terrible. They moved again a bit deeper and still very slow. Was anyone else out today? How'd you make out? I'm thinking of getting out this weekend but don't want to make the drive for some dinks and a slow day.

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #184 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Hey guys looking to come up for the day with my recently retired father was looking for a good parking spot where I won't get myself in trouble if sombody could be so kind an point me in the right direction much appreciacted
Read back in the thread, plenty of information on parking and access points as well as the pros and cons of each access point

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #185 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Jcrow, that's fishin'. you never got skunked? :o :o

Offline EJ78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I took a ride around the bay this afternoon. Must be the "snow storm" scared everyone away. I only saw one shanty out there.

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Jcrow, that's fishin'. you never got skunked? :o :o
Ha! Like everyone else who fishes I have had bad days and the days that make you want to come back.
We've been going to Irondequoit and had the same kind of luck there. You wade through number of dinks to get through to some keepers. The reason for asking is I can take a 10 minute drive to Irondequoit or a 50 minute drive to Sodus for the same thing. I guess I was looking for a great reason to take the drive.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Feb 09, 2018, 09:34 AM »
I talked to a few fisherman this morning at bay bridge they said the bit was pretty slow this mornin.

Offline FishinDude0901

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye Wisdom
« Reply #189 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Heard rumors of walleyes being taken periodically  ???
Jiggin' Like A Fool

Offline pkosatka09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:13 AM »
hey guys, wondering how the ice is on Sodus lately - seems like people have still been out

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Just need to be careful around the islands and loop area !
ice fishing rules

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #192 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:02 PM »
A number of people. Only 3 real accidents. One off Leroy where a guy that lives there went thru gas or something from the weeds they were only a couple feet from hole to remove the four wheeler just a freak incident. And the one because of the bubbler. Then the last one was between 2 of the islands I heard that never freezes good. The rest were idiots that knew better then being where they were or running a machine where they were.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:21 AM »
I’m About to head to third creek.is the parking as crazy there during the week as it is on he weekends?
he crusha the percha

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #194 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:31 AM »
How many topics of sodus do we need.  ???

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:42 AM »
I’m about to head to third creek soon.is the parking as bad as the weekends during the week?
he crusha the percha

Offline icefishermanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Feb 12, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Anyone catching pike at Bay bridge or third Creek?
icefisherman

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #197 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:09 PM »
How many topics of sodus do we need.  ???

Considering that there are guys who post on the reports and conditions page asking for ice thickness and it has been posted 4 posts earlier ;), how many is too many?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #198 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:25 PM »
so...............how thick is the ice?????   :roflmao:

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:24 PM »

Offline GennyScreamers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:50 PM »
I agree

Offline yankmyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I went out of third creek Wed 9 to 2:30 and only brought home 12 between 10 11 inches. Must be the slaughter is over, only about 2 dozen people fishing. I parked right across from the access. I imagine it is getting pretty sloppy out there now!

Offline Fisherman21021

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #202 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:59 PM »
ice check anyone?

Offline railman19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Was out today is is fine just watch out for holes washing out .
Bite was good

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:54 AM »
If this is a restoration program and you are working on it, would it not make more sense to discourage people from keeping and smoking these ciscoes for a while, rather than telling folks they are good to smoke as you did on the reports and conditions page? 

That's a valid concern, but right now we don't think ice fishermen will make too much of a dent in the cisco population. The stocking program that USGS has had for a few years is mostly experimental (to see if stocking will work in the first place), not to put a ton of fish out in the lake for people to catch, so the ones folks are catching are most likely wild fish. The cisco population has been doing better in the last few years, after a couple good year classes in 2013/2014. Personally, I'm excited to see more people interested in cisco and knowledgeable about what they are catching - many people have no idea what they are! Also, cisco are not managed as a sport fish now, so there is nothing wrong with people keeping and eating them. Releasing them is also perfectly fine - completely up to you! Right now, I think raising awareness and appreciation for cisco is more important than restricting catch - if more people are interested in catching & eating them, then they will be a higher priority for future management decisions.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Mar 06, 2018, 08:24 AM »
I live up the hill from Irondequoit Bay, worked in water quality management of the bay for many years before I retired, and provided data to Jim Johnson when the cisco program was initiated.  While the program was indicated as experimental, the long term objective (and I've heard this from NYSDEC as well) is to establish a viable (and native) alternative to alewife.  In 30+ years of monitoring on the bay, I never heard of a cisco being taken, the only discussion of the fish was Bill Abraham, retired Region 8 Fisheries Manager, referencing them as historically important in embayments along the North Coast.  None of the biological surveys done on the bay over the last half century+ turned any up, they were considered extirpated.  So unless the remnant population in Chaumont Bay is coming back strong by itself, and repopulating the rest of the lake, I have to think these fish are part of the less than a million that have been stocked since the program began.  I'm only saying that it might be more desirable in relation to the program objectives to express what the goal is and indicate that it might be better to NOT target these fish (and there have been a number of posts of folks asking how to go after them specifically this winter, since this discussion began back in January), educate folks on what they are, and wait until they are a little stronger (and I have seen no reports on the project so far) before getting people all excited to fire up the smokers.  They will certainly get plenty of stress from the salmonids without putting an additional stress on them before they become more numerous.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #206 on: Mar 09, 2018, 11:04 AM »
We caught a Cisco in Irondequoit Bay this winter for the first time.  Nice one too, over 12 inches.  We put it have though.  One hardly seems worth the effort to smoke.

Offline CommanderCisco

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #207 on: Mar 09, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Cisco have been naturally reproducing in Chaumont Bay for many years. This is the population where the original broodstock for USGS/Jim Johnson's stocking program came from, and they continue to source broodstock from this population every fall. USGS marks all of their stocked fish with a chemical mark that can be seen in the ribs/earbones under a microscope, which is how they know if they are recapturing any stockies. Last year they caught their first stocked fish - every other cisco checked has been wild.

If anyone does catch a cisco and keeps it, I know that USGS would appreciate taking a look at the earbones & ribs to see if it was one of their stocked fish. Marc Chalupnicki at USGS Tunison would be the person to contact about that. If you choose to release it, that's great too. One more to spawn in the future.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #208 on: Mar 09, 2018, 01:45 PM »
What was the rationale for stocking ~10,000 into Chaumont Bay in fall 2015?   When I said "remnant" I was referring to the fact that Chaumont is the only place where any significant native population remains on the US side of the lake, historically there were strong populations lakewide.  Do you have any idea when a report on this program will be released, Jim has retired, some of us are worried that his programs could retire with him?  Maybe we'll hear something Monday night at the SOL.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #209 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:23 PM »
Anyone have an idea if this will lock up by New Years going to be heading up to Rochester area from the 30th-2nd wondering if there would be a chance at bringing the ice gear up

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.