Author Topic: How would you fish this body of water????  (Read 3361 times)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How would you fish this body of water????
« on: Oct 27, 2014, 09:35 PM »
This place holds some big perch but I usually only bump into them by chance in the summer. This year I'd like to target them through the ice.

This is a sand pit that is about 60 acres

The water is ultra clear but fish aren't line shy. Cedar trees were just dropped into the 15' area north of the long finger point. Otherwise the place is 95% structure free. There are weed lines in most of the 5-10' areas on the map. The cove on the far south does not freeze. Bottom make up is 90% sand, 10% rock. The deep water areas are usually dead zones.

Since this is mostly sand, would you still roam flats looking for schools? Would you fish the humps and drop offs?

Catchin' Fish

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How would you fish this body of water????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Figure out what the main food source is and fish it. Would consider the rocks as a starting point, look like you're into a lot of running and gunning until you figure it out. Even a small mucky area could be a magnet they'll  at least pass by on their rounds. They move, just need to figure the pattern and preferences. Shallow weeds early and late season are worth investigating, looks like you're in for a busy season. Good luck and stay at it

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:59 PM »
in my book i think it say not to target the drop off and humps but to target the transition of those zones to those areas because their preferred  spawning area are soft areas like muck on the edge of the hard and soft zones.  if there rock humps they will be on the edges of them mainly if there is weed mats on them in the 3-15 foot of water at early ice.

there is a book that goes in to great detail on it i save you some time and just give you the isbn of the book it is as follows: isbn:0-929384-19-9  it is a in-fshermen book called "ice fishing secrets" there is more info in the book on late ice and mid season ice so keep in mind there is a lot of info in this book they feed just like crappie and blue gills early ion the season and shift from there to different locations.   

i got my copy for .75 cent with $3.25 media mail shipping on half .com i am sure amazon mite be the same so search around!

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2014, 07:02 PM »
60 acres?  You should be able to find the perch in an hour or two.  two man run n gun.  punching holes, and dunking a camera or jig a buckshot spoon or darter for 4-5 minutes.  No marks, move on.  Marks but no bites?  tungsten jig & maggot or waxie.  if you catch a few, cut the stomachs open while cleaning them and see what the fresh meal of the day was for those fish.

Offline barrelslime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 01:42 PM »
I know where I'd be in the spring......... @)
Biggest Crappie 17 1/2 "

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2015, 12:22 PM »
lol, taking my boat there for ice out in about a week

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.