New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: newbie in buffalo  (Read 3238 times)

Offline depew28

• IceShanty Rookie
newbie in buffalo
« on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:45 AM »
just moved to depew and havent fished the hardwater since i was a kid with my grandfather and would love to get back into it. Any volunteers to let me tag along sometime this year

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: newbie in buffalo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:28 PM »
Welcome aboard.
If you'd like to venture down towards Rochester or maybe Conesus lake, I'd be happy to meet up. I fish Irondequoit Bay  quite a bit....heck it's only 1.25 hrs away from Depew.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:06 PM »
i live in Amherst. your more than welcome to tag along.
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline depew28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2008, 01:34 AM »
sounds great synergy i actually work out in amherst...i need to go buy some equipment I havent beenice fishing since I was about 15 with my grandfather up north we used to go to higley flow in colton ny...what are the basics I need to go out and get ya think...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2008, 03:10 AM »
what are the basics I need to go out and get ya think...
Uh Oh!
You're in trouble now!
Bitten by the ice bug :wacko:
You can ice fish with very little. Buy a cheap rod, few jigs, find a 5 gallon plastic bucket, used auger or spud bar, something to scoop ice out of the hole.

The one ,,,most important item has to be your boots. If your feet aren't warm...it's no fun.

Beware though, The US Surgeon General has issued a warning; "Ice Fishing is a highly contagious, and, incurable disease. Symptoms include a severe addiction to IceShanty.com, uncontrollable spending on Jigs, and a general feeling of malaise in temperatures above 32 degrees."

We're here to enable you brother >:D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2008, 12:30 PM »
sounds great synergy i actually work out in amherst...i need to go buy some equipment I havent beenice fishing since I was about 15 with my grandfather up north we used to go to higley flow in colton ny...what are the basics I need to go out and get ya think...

im sure it has changed since you have gone last. but basically the same. look around in the site you will get more than  enough info for what you need. go to gander spend money.

i do have two augers that are just sitting around that you can have. a 7" Eskimo needs blade work. and a 8" mora that i used 5 time and that needs new blades. they broke.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2008, 12:42 PM »
Oh - don't listen to those other guys - you need an ice-gator auger, 1/2 doz. custom rods with top-of the line reels, 5-10 nice tip-ups (take your choice of the top picks, from this site), A new fishing suit, nice warm boots, some underarmour cold gear, and other fine clothing layers, then there is tackle, tackle, tackle, and more.  Those are just the basics to get you going.  ;D

Offline Tom14462

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have a CRAPPIE day!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2008, 01:24 PM »

It really depends on what you're after.  The setup for going after northerns is a bit different than jigging up perch or gills.  You can get the basics (auger, tip-ups, jigging rod, jigs, etc. ) at Gander Mountain. They should be shelving the deer hunting stuff and bringing out the ice fishing gear about now. If you're really good Santa might even bring you a brandy-new fish trap!  ;) Big tip: if you're going after those finicky panfish definitely use fluorocarbon line. It does make a difference. I like 2# Seaguar.

The first water to freeze up is usually Loon Lake out near Wayland (Steuben County I think). It should be dropping into the single digits tonight so it should be fishable in a week or so if it stays cold and doesn't get too much snow cover.

Also, if you have one of those Motorola talkabouts, Ice Shanty guys use channel seven. My favorite water is Honeoye Lake as I like to fish for walleyes at dawn and dusk and gills & crappie the rest of the day. Plus as a bonus, bass are legal through March 15th on finger lakes. It's a fair drive from Buffalo but when they're hitting...

See ya on the ice!

Offline depew28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2008, 05:51 PM »
synergy what type of fish do you target..since i hope to get a chacne to fish with you i want to have teh right gear for the type of fish you are going after...do you just jig or do you use tip ups as well

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:13 PM »
I'm in tonawanda and grew up in south buffalo, I fish the small boat harbor, erie basin marina, and a couple of the canals on the waterfront once I find'em I usually do pretty good, if you want to tag along once we have ice just send me a pm, I usually go every weekend. I was going to try to do an out of town trip since they are'nt doing the NAIFC tourney here this year, I would'nt mind trying for some walleyes. I never caught one through the ice, I dont have a machine so I'm a walker.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:10 AM »
If you guys want to fish Oneida this year, let me know! I'll even come in and give ya a lift out;)

That would be great. I know that the best perch waters on Oneida are a long walk from shore.
Pete Lewis

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:29 AM »
just moved to depew and havent fished the hardwater since i was a kid with my grandfather and would love to get back into it. Any volunteers to let me tag along sometime this year

I live just a few minutes from Silver Lake.  If you want to sit around and watch perch on your Vex all day, just let me know   ;)

That would be great. I know that the best perch waters on Oneida are a long walk from shore.

Pete, I probably don't need to tell you the three keys to locating perch.

Either they are Deep, Shallow or Other, meaning somewhere in between   ;)
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:52 AM »
I live just a few minutes from Silver Lake.  If you want to sit around and watch perch on your Vex all day, just let me know   ;)

Pete, I probably don't need to tell you the three keys to locating perch.

Either they are Deep, Shallow or Other, meaning somewhere in between   ;)

Don't Start Out giving advice to eyedok about perch.... he catches sooo many elsewhere that he's just leaving the Oneida perch to the rest of us..... ;)
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:04 AM »
Don't Start Out giving advice to eyedok about perch.... he catches sooo many elsewhere that he's just leaving the Oneida perch to the rest of us..... ;)

Does Size On them matter? I hear he just catches dinks :-*

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Geeeeesh, I go to work, come home and find all this trash talk about me.   :D :D :D
Pete Lewis

Offline BobthePlumber

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I gut Cookies......
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Iv seen that guy in the Mustang suit catch a ton of Eyes one day.. :o :o  Man they dont call him that name for a reason ;) He rules Oneida for the Eyes thats for sure..
Bring on the cookie cutter's

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Geeeeesh, I go to work, come home and find all this trash talk about me.   :D :D :D

Hi Doc, JEEM and I get you, but I'm afraid that most of the general population doesn't get your sense of humor!!! And the bass fisherman definately don't get you!! Hope you had a good 'eye season on the Tournament trail?? Cya shortly out on the hard ice.....

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:32 PM »
And the bass fisherman definately don't get you!!

I get him, I think   8)

I had him talked into fishing a bass tournament with me earlier this season, but he had to work.  Oh wait, nobody was supposed to know that   :whistle: :whistle:  Sorry Doc    ;)2 ;)2
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:54 AM »
Hi Doc, JEEM and I get you, but I'm afraid that most of the general population doesn't get your sense of humor!!! And the bass fisherman definately don't get you!! Hope you had a good 'eye season on the Tournament trail?? Cya shortly out on the hard ice.....

Mike, they get me ..... sometimes  :D They're just busting my cajones. See you guys soon I hope.
Pete Lewis

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:55 AM »
I get him, I think   8)

I had him talked into fishing a bass tournament with me earlier this season, but he had to work.  Oh wait, nobody was supposed to know that   :whistle: :whistle:  Sorry Doc    ;)2 ;)2

No problem buddy. Maybe next year.
Pete Lewis

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2008, 06:38 AM »
someone new comes on needs a little help,and i see everyone offering everything from company to ice augers!makes a person proud to be a sportsmen! new fella ya get near oswego feel free to drop me a line!

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Don't let the ole'eyedoktr fool ya.......he's a pretty good basser also

guy

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2008, 01:10 PM »
wow....talk about complicating it for the newbie

hey newbie - all you need is some warm insulated, windproof, waterproof clothing (probably your hunting gear if you have some) and some warm waterproof boots

an ice hut or windbreak if you want to stay outta the elements (or just bring along some heat packs)

an auger to cut holes (I like the 6" - easier on the arms to cut more holes) and spuds are a pain in the @*@#!! (old timers use them cuz they're stubborn) - nothing like hammering on the ice with a metal rod for a half hour and complain that no fish are biting afterward

a rod and reel setup or two - about 24" to 28" is good

a bucket or something to sit on (bring a Tops bag for fish if you don't have a bucket)

buy a couple jigs and some split shots , a bobber (I use slip knots and slip bobbers)

bring a large spoon from your kitchen to scoop ice out of the hole (save some $$ there)

you're all set - if done economically - you can stay under $100.00

or tag along with someone who already has all the equipment (like my friends do) and will only cost you about $30.00 for rod and reel and a few jigs and splitshots and bobbers and such
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2008, 01:13 PM »
hey newbie - on another note - I usually have my hut to myself when I fish small boat and other areas around there - your welcome to tag along - send me an email for contact info

hey Irish - let me know when you're out and we'll meet up

I live in Tonawanda as well
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2008, 01:23 PM »
Niagara jiggin,  I will once we have ice I'll be out. It wont be hard to find me  my buddies and myself usually have that place littered with tip ups just head to the center of the mine field and follow the smell of grilling venison. Erie Basin last year was slow on decent panfish but was loaded with steelhead, I want to spend a little more time there. I usually fish out of a scout but I do have a shappell 3000 for when I bring others.

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:15 PM »
synergy what type of fish do you target..since i hope to get a chacne to fish with you i want to have teh right gear for the type of fish you are going after...do you just jig or do you use tip ups as well

mostly walleye and panfish. i pre-fer to jig but will put out flags also.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

A BASS....IS THAT A BASS I SEE....AND HE'S SMILING TOO!
 I knew it...he's a closet bass fisherman.
RG

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:12 PM »
A BASS....IS THAT A BASS I SEE....AND HE'S SMILING TOO!
 I knew it...he's a closet bass fisherman.
RG

If he's a closet bass fisherman, than it's a "water closet". I believe that smile was probably because he took some "medicine" beforehand. Just joking Doc/Bob. Hope to cya soon.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2008, 05:26 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Ah, I remember that day well....unfortunately.  :D :D  Fishing Honeoye with a couple of buddies.As soon as they knew I had a bass on the hook, there were 3 cameras within 10 feet of me. If that stinky carp hadn't swallowed the hook, I never would have touched it. My hands stunk for a week.
Pete Lewis

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:21 AM »
hey pete what was your eye to green carp ratio?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.