New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Shanty opinions  (Read 3255 times)

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shanty opinions
« on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Hey guys I post once in awhile on here and frequently read the site. I enjoy everyones posts and info that can be found. I did a lot of searching around on here and Amazon and many online sites and well I can't find a whole lot of info. I'm in the market for a two man shanty. Id prefer not to spend more than 800 dollars or so. I've been really interested in the frabill side entry shanties as I use tip downs and ups depending where I'm fishing. But there are hardly any reviews on them as they are newer. Anybody have any experience with these? Also any input on other brands I'd gladly listen to. Looking for something that will last me quite a few years. Thanks for any info guys.

OneidaAngler

Re: Shanty opinions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:28 AM »
If you've got 800 dollars to spend look at an Otter. They have a bunch of nice shelters.

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Do you own an otter? If so which version

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2014, 01:30 PM »
I looked at the crab I'll sidestep. It is very roomy and plenty of room for tip downs because your front wall is not angled as other flip overs are. If I was looking for a new 2 man I probably go with the sidestep.

OneidaAngler

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Do you own an otter? If so which version

I don't. I have a CLAM Nanook Thermal. It is a smaller two man. I like it and it was in my budget so I bought it. I've checked out Otters at the store and they are all nice.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I've been looking to upgrade and checking out the Jason Mitchell and Otters. But I sat in one of the Frabills today and they're pretty impressive. Lots of head room and oversized poles that make it real solid. One more to think about now.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Avoid Clam like the plague. I have had a Nanook for 2 seasons and am not impressed with the quality. And I take excellent care of my gear.  Anything Clam, avoid.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 04:20 PM »
I bought a Shappell Bay Runner....love it...I would also check out the Otter, Frabil and Eskimo...all very good stuff...check them in person...I was stunned by some of the build quality and room to fish...I originally was going for a one man sled...sat in them and it was to close for me...Looked at the two man stuff on the market...was impressed by Otter, Eskimo, Frabil and Shappell...Hard to make a bad choice...especially with your budget...just make sure u check them out in person and evaluate them to your fishing style...

Good hunting

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 04:21 PM »
I'm upgrading from the Nanook. Got it for $299 so I've been happy with it. No comparison to the more expensive ones though.

OneidaAngler

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Avoid Clam like the plague. I have had a Nanook for 2 seasons and am not impressed with the quality. And I take excellent care of my gear.  Anything Clam, avoid.

Really? Cause I've had CLAM shanties for 4 years now and have had no problems with them what so ever. I fish every weekend and all my time off. I put a ton of miles on my Kenai and when I sold it this summer to upgrade to the Nanook, I got what I originally paid for it cause it was in immaculate condition. I also take great care of my things.  ;)

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:37 AM »
It seems from everything I see people have very different opinions on the same shanties. It's what makes it so dang hard to pick one! Plus so many options. There was a great deal on an otter. Went to buy it and apparently the sale ended so I'm shopping around again!

Offline xc700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:54 AM »
i have two otters one is over 15 years old and still works good its purple with round tubing which hangs up sometimes but its old I have a green one with square tubing which works a little better and that's at least 5 years old bought right before they changed color and insulated them have no complaints on the otters definitely worth looking at if you do a lot of towing the otter sled are the best out there for durability but they are heavier than the rest they are both the cabin size 2 man comfortably

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2014, 11:34 AM »
I love my Clam Nanook. Very reasonably priced and serves it's purpose...

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2014, 01:28 PM »
I have the Clams:  A Fish Trap Pro,  The Voyager and just picked up a new Kenai Pro.  I have had good luck with them.  Fished from some Otters and they are nice too.  Everybody will have different opinions, the best way is to go sit in each of them and see how they feel and make your own judgment with regard to quality.

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Honestly they all make a good shelter, especially in that price range.  The clam is usually lighter, but if your looking for a 2 man I would assume your not looking to be mobile.  Go to a store and sit in them, you will know quickly which one fits your style.  Get a comfortable seat though, if ur going to sit inside you might as well be comfortable!  And I recommend a flip over style, easier to set up and take down. Also I will agree I have always gotten my $ back from a clam at resale.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2014, 05:16 PM »
IMO the most important thing for me was to be able to stand up inside my shanty because I spend a lot of time in there

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Hey guys I post once in awhile on here and frequently read the site. I enjoy everyones posts and info that can be found. I did a lot of searching around on here and Amazon and many online sites and well I can't find a whole lot of info. I'm in the market for a two man shanty. Id prefer not to spend more than 800 dollars or so. I've been really interested in the frabill side entry shanties as I use tip downs and ups depending where I'm fishing. But there are hardly any reviews on them as they are newer. Anybody have any experience with these? Also any input on other brands I'd gladly listen to. Looking for something that will last me quite a few years. Thanks for any info guys.

&feature=youtu.be
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2014, 06:46 PM »
I have a clam pop out 2 man shelter, i like it but the poles have to be re-glued into the little round ball joint things, other than that its great.  I also have the clam one man with the biult in seat flip over, plenty of room for two holes to jig and a hole for my transducer. A little heavy because of the seat mounting weight but i like it. I have had some frabill stuff in the past, pretty much the same quality. Like others have said go and sit in one it will help you decide.
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:28 PM »
I have the Jason Mitchell 2 man flip thermal and its been great even has built in lights for when we're fishing in the dark!
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:30 PM »
I have a clam Jr and a kenai. The Jr is awesome and I won't ever sell it. Picked up the kenai this year for my son and short of building a Smitty sled for it, the thing is gonna be awesome. I hear so much hate for clams, yet I always see a ton of blue shanties on the ice.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Clam definatly had some quality control issues 2-3 years ago. The stuff I have seen this year has been great. I have 2 Trap Pros that have been beat on for 6-7 years and are still in great shape...

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2014, 09:35 PM »
I finally pulled the trigger on the Otter Lodge today. I've heard so much good about the Otters that I had to give it a shot.

Now we just need some ice! I'm getting so bored I actually mapped out the drive to Leech Lake, MN, today. 20 hours one way, but they're on 16" of ice!

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2014, 11:42 PM »
Did you get the xt 1200 or 650? Been looking for sales on 1200s with not much luck so far

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM »
The XT1200. $20 off retail and free shipping from Reed's Outfitters. So all in not a bad deal.

Offline Jig on This

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2014, 12:39 AM »
big shanty sale the cuse this weekend

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:52 AM »
I've been mulling over the reeds deal too. As for all the shanty sales at gander in cuse I already called and they're out of all otters and most frabills and clams too. No wonder they put them all on sale

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Hate to do it, but I'll reiterate the complaints about Clam.
I've owned one. A 4 man hub. I had 2 poles coming out of the hub when I was setting it up the 1st time in the living room. I should have returned it, but knew it was an easy fix with a hot glue gun. I've since had to glue every pole back into the hubs. Maybe it was a fluke, but I won't be buying anything with that name on it again.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Yeah I've seen enough complaints about clam to want to stay away now. I know a lot of their products are good but I've read too many instances where people have gotten a bad product. I originally was thinking the frabill gaurdian sidestep but the only review I can find says the tent material ripped easily. Starting to think I might as well get the otter so at least I know it'll last me a long time

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2014, 11:12 AM »
I'll chime in on the quality issue of clam. I've had an old style fish trap 2 for 15 years. Last year I bought a pro tc to down size. Big mistake. The fabric that they use has become so low grade that in one years use I can see through the side walls. The 15 yr old fabric is as good as the day it was new. It will be the last one from clam I buy.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2014, 01:29 PM »
I'll chime in on the quality issue of clam. I've had an old style fish trap 2 for 15 years. Last year I bought a pro tc to down size. Big mistake. The fabric that they use has become so low grade that in one years use I can see through the side walls. The 15 yr old fabric is as good as the day it was new. It will be the last one from clam I buy.

thats about sums up what i see when i look at my clam jr suitcase, and the clam kenai. the older clam jr has much heavier fabric. the kenai is maybe 2 years old and i can see light holes in the material. i like them both but you can tell the difference from years ago to recent shanties
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.