Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 429319 times)

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #90 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Too cold and windy for me out there.  I don't have any "firewater" to keep me warm.  A week ago the wind did a job on a couple of my aluminum adjustable poles for the shack.  Clam needs to design there stuff to flex abit.  The wind turned them into big C shaped poles that no longer adjust.  Going to design my own replacements with some fiberglass poles or laminated wood maybe.  If it's not windy I can still use it.   Good luck to all you diehards. I'm staying home until it warms up, or until I can't stand it anymore and have to get out there again just to try and get that "big" one.   tight lines.....  and thanks for the report Bob          Tom

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Ya it looks like i will be pushing some snow now. So i wont be out for a little while. I agree its a little to cold for me.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Jan 16, 2008, 09:41 PM »
The bite is picking back up over there again....Pressure finnaly dropped barometric and the fishing pressure. :tipup:

Offline 2bodie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:43 AM »
we fished by the open water on the north side of the lake on Sunday evening. Pretty slow.  Did catch one keeper and had 3 keepers, 2 went back in the hole and the other broke the line..thinking may be too cold this sunday evening. 

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:29 PM »
Can you still get out on the lake after the snow and wind?

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
« Reply #95 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:09 PM »
Can you still get out on the lake after the snow and wind?

Oh no! No one can get on the lake here. You people from out of town should just stay home and I'll tell you when it's safe to come back. Much too dangerous right now! ::) ::) ::) ::) The fish aren't biting anyway. I will personally test the dangerous fishing areas and tell you when they start biting again.

You can believe me because I AM A fisherman.

Peace Man! 8)
CESAR

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 19, 2008, 11:26 AM »
tournament over there today? Wish I could get out of the house! Last night was slow at the river.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Jan 19, 2008, 12:37 PM »
They should have the ramps plowed out good by now.  Some purty big drifts out there boys. :o

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Wow, hardly any wind here in town.  Hope it's not too bad at the lake.  I have a family thing this afternoon, so maybe try it at the lake tonight or at least tomorrow. 

Cesar, thanks for all your concern and watching out for the rest of us ;D ;D ;D

see ya on the ice.            Tom

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Jan 20, 2008, 09:54 PM »
ill get out and plow some ramps tomorrow. also caught 2 limits of eyes and many more thirteens. good luck im going out again in the morning if im not pushin snow.

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:34 PM »
thanks Bob,  All I could catch was 13 inchers last night and they bit till 8:30 and I said the heck with it and went home.  I tried NE of island and way out, was in 12 fow.  The bite was really light too.  It was a nice evening to fish though, I didn't even put up the shack.   

Offline onemore

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • good boy
« Reply #101 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:23 AM »
I fished the lake saturday and the day bite was slow.  Caught about a dozen yellow bass and had real nice lunge to the hole but broke me off.  2lb test  thought it was a big cat.  night bite was awsome :o  caught about 30 eyes one limit and one short of the brothers.  missed alot and lost even more you need to check it out until this last time i have never caught anything worth while on trips out of town. 

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 22, 2008, 02:23 PM »
NICE GOING ONEMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT DAY OF FISHING TO ME....SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO BE AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.....   TIGHT LINES, TOM

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Jan 22, 2008, 04:55 PM »
would you mind telling us how deep you were fishing?

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Well I couldn't stand it anymore.  Haven't fished since Sunday night, so I went to Clear Lake after work last nite.  Got on at the hatchery and drove west along the snowmobile trail.  Snow is getting deep and drifting.  wanted to try the reef on north shore but was afraid I'd get stuck and there's not much traffic there.  Headed back to the point and then across the lake and ended up N.E. of the island. What a ride across the lake with all the drifts!!!!!!!!!  Ended up catching a limit of walleyes and one short one.  Got them all on chubby darter, couldn't get them to take the kastmaster or anyother offering.  Got the last one at 9:45, a 16 incher.  Had alot of lookers after that but couldn't get em to bite.  My heater couldn't keep the ice from skimming over the holes and the ice pebbles off my line, but at -11, at least I was out of the wind in the Clam and I was fishing.  Looking forward to fishing Rock Creek this weekend.Taking 2 teenage boys and 7yo granddaughter if weather warms up abit.  If not I'd like to fish for a mess of Yellows at Clear Lake.  Anybody still catching the yellows with any success????                FYI, use a 4 wheel vehicle on the lake unless you find some plowed areas.  Tom

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:12 AM »
What is the most ice you guys have ever cut through on Clear Lake before?

Also, how much ice are you cutting through lately?  Has it reached 20" yet?

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:34 AM »
I stopped at the Lakeside Pitstop a couple of days ago and he said it was 20". I haven't been out for a couple of weeks but I'm going tonite.  :clap:

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:12 AM »
Hey guys whats goin on?  Gonna head up that way tomorrow afternoon and try and hit the night bite.  Just wondering if theres any action?  I haven't been up for about 3 weeks, last time I went to farmers and picked up a few eyes.  Was thinking about heading out towards the island tomorrow.  Any reports/advice would be appreciated!! Thanks guys see ya on the ice  :tipup:

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Ive seen 32 inches at Clear lake about 10-12 yrs ago.  Hand augered two holes too!  Shoulda seen the heeves that year! :o

Hope you got a big fullsize 4x4 guys.  The ramps should be okay by now but the main lake is pretty deep and drifted.  Island would be less drifted in then the East end though.  Just a heads up.  Might wanna bring a shovel just in case :D.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 25, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the ice.  We were out there in an F250 powerstroke after christmas and it held us just fine.  That is close to 8000lbs. with all the stuff we have in the truck.  Good luck to everyone heading up there.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:43 PM »
I just got home from the lake. I had a real nice walleye on but lost it when I tried to pull it through the hole. I also caught 3 yellows at dusk. The ice is 21" thick. If you don't have a 4 wheel drive vehicle I wouldn't drive out.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:53 PM »
F.Y.I
7 More inches of ice and you can drive a fully loaded 18 wheeler out :laugh:

Offline coon_trapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:03 PM »
where are the fish biting might stop over there on Saturday
A bad day of fishing is always better than a good day at work

Offline coketeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 27, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Doing good with the yellows at north pump house. Even an eye or two as bonus. Been in the deepest water I can find.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:53 AM »
My son and his buddy was fishing by the west aerator Sat. night and they caught 4 keeper eyes and a few yellows. He said they was fishing on the east side of the aerator.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Jan 31, 2008, 01:30 PM »
Someone with a big truck and plow needs to do the East Gas Station ramp :laugh: Ice conditions are beautiful once you get out all that snow melted with the rain.  The D.N.R ramp is a little hairy though getting the shacks off there is gonna be a bear.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:08 PM »
What stage are the fish in, know that it is mid winter?

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:31 PM »
i plowed out the west side of the island, where the ritz used to be.

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
« Reply #118 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:48 AM »
i plowed out the west side of the island, where the ritz used to be.

Hey thanks!

Maybe we'll get out to our shack now.  :tipup: Havn't been out since the blizzard.
Let's git some phishes!   Let's git some phishes   Let's git some phishes [glow]

CESAR

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Thanks Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You'd think Clear Lake would accomadate ice fisherman and clear those accesses for us.  Hope to get out this weekend too.  I'm getting fishing withdrawl .......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.