Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 430901 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #150 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:11 PM »
East end of the lake in the deepest water possible.  Seen one guy on billys musta been you.  I agree with ya friday night was way way hot........Wont say how scaulding it was tho :-\

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Is there much snow on the lake after the last couple storms? Thinking about heading there Wednesday. It will be me second trip to Clear and my dad's first. Hope you guys have left a few fish!

--Whitey

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:37 PM »
I think you will need a 4x4 after tonight to get out. It was snowing when we left the lake.  The wind can whip up some good drifts out there.

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:11 AM »
We've got 4x4s--hope that is enough!

--Whitey

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #154 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:33 AM »
CrappieBuster...  well that was an expensive fish to lose then... there goes about $8!!  Sorry to hear that about the chubby darter, so would it be safe to assume that there is a bounty out on that fish now?   :laugh:  I guess you'll just have to catch him back to get your lure again.  That is a nice white bass there, good job and good to see some pic's too.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:58 PM »
I didnt make it out tonight.  Hows the snow situation out there?  Any roads plowed outta south bay yet?

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:22 AM »
I didn't make it out last night either, but planning on heading out there for the evening bite tonight.  I can post a report of the conditions that I find.  I will try my darnest to catch that one that got your chubby for you...   but with my luck all that I will see will be more of them 13 1/2" eyes...   lot's of those.   ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Feb 13, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Yeh im gonna make her out too.  Hopefully dont get buried.  All I got is a 4x4 dakota with bald tires. :-\

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Feb 13, 2008, 11:40 AM »
Well if all else fails and after a few brewski's you could always spin a few donuts!!!  Bald tires are always great for that!!  Hopefully you don't get stuck out there!!  Good luck man and maybe I will see you out there!

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:10 AM »
We fished yesterday with no trouble getting around on the lake. There is some  minor drifting but not a problem. Fishing was slow, I got skunked! My dad got a couple small eyes and the guys we were with got one keeper eye, a few small ones and a handful of yellows--including one monster! It was a fun day but not much action.

--Whitey

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Went out last night and man is that ice ever thick...  it is to where my auger is real close to not being long enough to get through the ice.  Haven't seen this kind of ice thickness for years!  Driving on the lake wasn't too bad, but I got a 4x4 too so that helps out alot.  Bite was slow, at least for me but I saw other guys pulling in some fish.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:22 AM »
Where is everybody fishing now?  Havent been for about 3 weeks.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Got my limit once again last night.  Along with 6 NICE yellows.  Missed a few nicer fish too.  Theres gonna be some drifts after today should make for a fun time :D

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:47 PM »
Well there is still like a whole city sitting out over there by the island... but I don't like being amoungst a crowded mess like that myself.  Maybe that is why I didn't do good last night but who knows.  People are still spread out all over the lake but like I stated there is alot of people by the island.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for the info, may be up Saturday.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Feb 14, 2008, 04:58 PM »
What's the specifications for keeping fish on Clear lake? Specifically, walleye...  We're taking the first trip to the lake on sat nite/ sun.  Is there a hotel close by? I here everyone talking about those yellows.. never seen one before or ate one.  are they good eating?
Pool 9 Pro

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Feb 14, 2008, 05:41 PM »
What's the specifications for keeping fish on Clear lake? Specifically, walleye...  We're taking the first trip to the lake on sat nite/ sun.  Is there a hotel close by? I here everyone talking about those yellows.. never seen one before or ate one.  are they good eating?

For walleyes the daily limit is 3 per person with a 14" minimum. No more than 1 walleye longer than 22" may be taken per day. On Yellow bass there is no limit. I think yellows taste just as good as a walleye . There are some motels on Highway 18 west of I-35.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:03 PM »
thanks for the thorough info. 
Pool 9 Pro

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:44 AM »
KrappieSlayer - take a look at page 10 of this posting and look at the picture that CrappieBuster posted there...  there are several yellow bass in that picture.  That will show you what they look like and yes they are good eats too...  some people I know prefer them to the walleye... but as for myself I am still a walleye guy.  Yeah there are lot's of hotels just west of interstate 35 on highway 122 (old highway 18).  Plus if you want there are plenty of hotels in Mason City which is about 8 miles east of Clear Lake on the same highway 122.  Plus plenty of resturants in Mason City too.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:15 AM »
How about any live music in the area? haha gotta have a well rounded trip ya know.
Pool 9 Pro

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:17 PM »
KrappieSlayer - take a look at page 10 of this posting and look at the picture that CrappieBuster posted there...  there are several yellow bass in that picture.  That will show you what they look like and yes they are good eats too...  some people I know prefer them to the walleye... but as for myself I am still a walleye guy.  Yeah there are lot's of hotels just west of interstate 35 on highway 122 (old highway 18).  Plus if you want there are plenty of hotels in Mason City which is about 8 miles east of Clear Lake on the same highway 122.  Plus plenty of resturants in Mason City too.
Actually Highway 122 ends at I-35 and Highway 18 begins.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Heading out right now.....Hopefully it wont be to bad with the snow!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Feb 15, 2008, 02:15 PM »
I called the DNR in Clear Lake and they told me we have until March 1 to get the ice houses off the lake.

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:44 PM »
My recommendation for hotel/motel is either the budget inn on 18, or silver boot on south shore drive, I have personally made 3 trips this year, stayed at super 8 (off 35) and the other 2.  I liked the budget inn best.  Plus Perkins is right next door with a multitude of fast food joints reasonably close.  Be sure and visit the Crazy Minnow bait shop on 18 too, it's a good place.  I am going to try and make it one more time in two weeks, as long as the gas auger is fixed, not going to hand drill that much ice again. 
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:02 PM »
How about any live music in the area? haha gotta have a well rounded trip ya know.

Well if you like Craig Morgan he will be at the surf ball room tomorrow night I believe.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Well how did you do Crappie? Son skipped on me tonight so we will be there about 5 in the morning!
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #176 on: Feb 16, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Got 2 keeper eyes and about 5 nicer yellows.  Not explosive tonight.  But not bad either.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Feb 16, 2008, 02:56 PM »

was out this morning fishing the deep stuff and it was slow! Marked a few lookers and caught a couple dinks.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Feb 17, 2008, 05:21 AM »
CAPPIEBUSTER!!! WHERE IS MY MONEY FOR THE CUBBYDARTER!!!  BETTER GET THAT LOAN APROVED!!!  ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #179 on: Feb 17, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Du kommunistisches Schwein I zahltest dich mit Propan!!!!

Eis-Seemannslied ist das größte!
 :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.