Author Topic: Groveland Mine ponds  (Read 7740 times)

Offline trainwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
Groveland Mine ponds
« on: Jan 01, 2006, 08:47 PM »
Anyone been at the ponds lately? Hows the roads getting back in there? Were planning to go on wednesday.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Re: Groveland Mine ponds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Roads are bad in spots (the road in). You def. need a 4x4. Waxworms on glo micro jigs, 2 pound test.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline trainwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:59 PM »
Which pond were you fishing? We usually fish the one west of the causeway but were planning to try some other spots.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:56 PM »
I guess we were on the second lake, although we were aiming for the 1st. GPS wouldnt plug into new laptop.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Scraper.jr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Its hard to explain which pond is which. The first pond is the farthest north and should be the first one you run into. On that same road ther is two more ponds that are seperated by the road. And if you take the snowmobile trail back from grovland mine road there is the last pond which is farthest south.

Offline trainwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:46 PM »
We spent all day out at the ponds today,second pond west side of the causeway. Did okay on perch in the morning,slow for everything midday fast action for gills and crappies after 4:30.White and green glow jigs with waxworms. Roads are okay but the lakes are a mess,10 inches of ice 8+ inches of slush and water and 6 inches of snow on top of that lovely mix. Google earth and terraserver will both give you some real good sat pictures of the ponds and views of the roads,you can get a better idea of what is where back there.BTW they tore the old mine building down.

Offline Scraper.jr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Was up there Saturday.  It was tricky getting back there there were 2 trucks stuck I wouldnt recommend driving back there at this time.  I did manage about 20 keep gills but had to sort through about 100 to get them.  Also caught a 48 inch muskie.  That was a blast on 6 pound test. 

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Was up there Saturday.  It was tricky getting back there there were 2 trucks stuck I wouldnt recommend driving back there at this time.  I did manage about 20 keep gills but had to sort through about 100 to get them.  Also caught a 48 inch muskie.  That was a blast on 6 pound test. 

What did you get the muskie on? (bait)
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2006, 07:04 PM »
I caught the muskie on a #11 orange glow jigging rapala.  I actually had spotted 1 swimming earlier and I couldnt get them to hit on the tip up I had set out so i switched to that and had to been close by because he nailed it almost instantly. 

Offline wavewatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Menominee, MI
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2006, 03:24 AM »
How deep were you?????
What pond? And how many lines can you have up there????

me and a friend were up there a few weeks back on the 1st pond, and didnt do so well in the morning (15gills).  but between 3:00-3:30  we hammered them hot and heavy. not no super slabs but all good size keepers.
FISH ON!!!!!!!

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2006, 11:41 AM »
you are only allowed to have 2 lines out at one time. 

I was also fishing the first pond.  It was slow at times but what we did was walk by a tree drill a hole then we would catch a few and go from tree to tree.  The muskie came in about 15 feet of water as did most of the bluegill.  I will be back up there next weekend.

Offline LakerFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I ran into those ponds while deer hunting this year, I was wondering if there was fish in there. Thanks!

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2007, 09:31 PM »
Yes there is a lot of fish in there.  Lots of small pannies....but you will catch plenty of eaters...a few walleye....bass.....no rthern.....some musky    A good variety but you will definately have action if you like panny fishing. 

Offline Letha_Face

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2007, 11:32 AM »
How exactly do you get there? Do you take 69? Where do you get turn? I have never looked for it before so they could be easy to find.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2007, 06:29 AM »
"Also caught a 48 inch muskie.  That was a blast on 6 pound test."
A fish like that will make your day!
Nice!!!
FTD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor