The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Oil coming out of exhaust?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Oil coming out of exhaust?
« on: Mar 27, 2013, 04:31 PM »
I know this is normal in small amounts for 2 cycle motors. Mine isnt bad but I recall someone suggesting a different 2 cycle mix that performed so well that it stopped dripping oil out the exhaust. Anyone remember what the name is? Thanks.

Paul

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Oil coming out of exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Amsoil Saber or Opti2 should fix that. Most guys who do allot of ice fishing have switched over to one of them.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2013, 04:42 PM »
I don't know if one is better than the other, but one is usually much more easy to find than the other. It just depends on if there are dealers in the area.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2013, 07:20 PM »
5th season on my Nils with Saber Pro at 80:1, muffler looks new yet no black residue....She has drilled thousands of holes....

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2013, 08:06 PM »
Mine used to drip black crud out of the muffler until I switched to Amsoil Saber Professional quite a few years ago. My 2 stroke cultivator used to do the same thing until I switched. Now I run all my 2 strokes with it mixed 80:1.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2013, 06:22 AM »
My Eskimo was hideous with the amount of unburnt oil it would leak out muffler. I started using amsoil sabre at 80:1. No more oil mess.
I have now switched to vp-Sef  50:1. Still no oil mess. I still have some sabre. I might try some 4 stroke vp with it to see how it runs.

I believe some oils don't mix as well as others, hence the sludgy mess out the exhaust.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I am using strikemasters own 2 cycle oil for thier augers but after this year I know I want to upgrade. What about the mix ratio, stock is 40 to 1 the saber is 80 to 1? I did read on here somwhere that the better quality stuff even at say 80 to 1 is better that the stock stuff at 40 to 1.  Just want to clrealy understand how this works and not mess up the auger. Thanks.

Paul

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Amsoil is synthetic and provides much better lubrication than the Strikemaster oil. Therefore, it can be ran at a higher ratio. It burns much cleaner also, which reduces the amount of residue. When you first make the switch, there will still be black residue coming out of the muffler. It's only the residue that's inside the muffler and after a tank or two it will be cleaned out. You will not ruin your auger by running Amsoil at 80:1. It will run better and start easier. And a cap full of seafoam doesn't hurt either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.