Author Topic: wear a life vest in these conditions  (Read 639 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
wear a life vest in these conditions
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:37 AM »
Better safe than sorry on early ice, ice out, and warm spells like this one. Wear your summer boat vest just incase. And carry icepicks or screwdrivers so if you fall threw you pull yourself out.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
Re: wear a life vest in these conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:43 AM »
Probably good advice, BUT...the best defense is common sense. Such as drilling your way out, testing the ice, visually being keen, watching for changing conditions. Wearing a life vest, at best keeps you from going under the ice. You still have to get OUT. In frigid water temps, depending on physical conditioning, and a persons stamina, you have 2 to 6 minutes before muscles cant be controlled. For those that have been thru, you know what I mean. Quick thinking is a must. Forget the gear. You have minutes to get out, and then have to get to land, then change into dry clothes. Who takes a spare set of dry clothes, hmm? Even doing it all right, you probably need to get that body core temp raised, organs can shut down AFTER you think your ok.

Best defense....common sense. Second...ice picks around your neck, NOT in your bucket. For me, the life vest is 3rd. For these conditions, my cell phone is NOT on my person, probably in the sled or in the truck. Cant call for help when its under water. Finally, ROPE....I always carry a rope.

Did I mention common sense?? ;)

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:34 AM »
 Check your ice often because I have seen a 7" hole melt open in a short time when the water on top was running in. The thing that scares me more are the small hole you see water running into because you don't know what direction the ice may be thinner. CHECK YOUR ICE OFTEN AND STAY SAFE AND ALIVE!!!!!  We all want to stay safe and healthy so another thought is don't fish alone. If you happen to fall through and have someone close by to help is the fastest response you can get.
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:33 AM »
If in doubt dont go out! be safe Guys I think I am done for the year! Ill be chasing pike in the tippy!

Offline Indiana Icefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:23 AM »
I like to tie a rope to my truck whenever possible (so it can't get away  ;D), but with a rope, it is important to tie knots every couple of feet so you can get a grip on it if need be. I never have gone in the water, but I can only imagine how bad it must be. Good safe luck to all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.