Author Topic: A Different Jiffy Model 30 Question  (Read 1027 times)

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
A Different Jiffy Model 30 Question
« on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Here's one I've not seen in my Googling efforts.

Like a million others, I have an older Model 30 that I love. It still starts first or second pull every time. Always has. Here's what's going on. The beast cuts the first part of the hole no problem. However, when it is breaking through into the water (bottom of the hole), the drill becomes overloaded and does not want to turn. I brace the wing handles/engine against my thigh (we've 2+ feet of ice right now), remove it and restart until it finally gets through. It is A LOT of work. After about 10 holes it seems to do much better - but those are 10 TOUGH holes to drill.

Since this just started happening, I've not yet done what others have suggested such as check/adjust high speed screw, spark plug, fuel quality, etc. Just thought I'd pose the question before I have at it again next weekend.

Thanks.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: A Different Jiffy Model 30 Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:19 PM »
My old Jiffy 3 hp used to do this and when it started to bog down before it went through the ice I would raise it up a bit and when I put it back down it would go right through. It would always grab a bit before it went all the way through. I have a stealth now and it doesn't do this. Maybe a stealth blade would work better for you.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Thanks ice dawg.

To me it appears that perhaps the blade is not turning fast enough when it breaks through and reaches the water. Once stuck, it is really trying to turn. I have to use all my strength to keep the head stationary. I, too, raise the auger, pull the throttle to get the blade spinning again and then gently push back down to try and break through.

The blade is plenty sharp as there are no issues starting a hole. Dull blades (for me) tend to wander when starting a hole and don't do a good job cutting the hole through the ice - they just spin. My auger has no troubles at the beginning or middle of drilling a hole, only at the end/bottom.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I think the ice is a bit soft and sticky at the bottom of the hole and tends to grab the blade. The stealth blade has a notch in the center of each tooth (in case ya haven't seen one) and doesn't seem to do this. I always kept my blade sharp and it made no difference with the old style. Mine always seemed a bit stick at the bottom of the hole no matter how many I had drilled. It was a good reason to wear cleats. :o ;D

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:47 PM »
Ice dawg, what is the amount of Seafoam that you recommend both initially and on a consistent/preventative basis?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Ice dawg, what is the amount of Seafoam that you recommend both initially and on a consistent/preventative basis?
I usually use two ounces per gallon in 2 stroke mix. To clean the carburetor and cylinder out a bit I will also put a couple of capfulls in a full auger tank and shake it up to start with. I use the cap from the Seafoam can. The stuff seems to work well for me. I will dump it in the gas tank of my wife's SUV and for the next few days it will blow some black smoke when you start it and then clear up. I have also been using Amsoil Saber Professional synthetic oil mixed 80:1 for many years with no problems.

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Did you ground out with it? I'll bet it runs fine but you somehow screwed up the angle of the blade. These are notorious for that problem. Check it real close when it's dry to see it there are any cracks forming on the bottom plate and check it side by side with another one. Sounds like you increased the angle of the blade. Good luck.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:12 PM »
mine used to do that than I installed a new ripper blade! now it goes right through.
Never Give Up!

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Did you ground out with it? I'll bet it runs fine but you somehow screwed up the angle of the blade. These are notorious for that problem. Check it real close when it's dry to see it there are any cracks forming on the bottom plate and check it side by side with another one. Sounds like you increased the angle of the blade. Good luck.
I don't think so since it first started to happen on the first hole, before I got through the ice. I'll take a look at the bottom plate tonight and compare it to my brother in law's auger next weekend when we fish together. He has the same auger, only a little newer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.