Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Transportation

getting unstuck

<< < (3/12) > >>

Buck1985:
 Hmm,  can't believe anyone has said it yet  ??? Don't drive a Chevy, that's all, pretty simple really  ;) Always carry a shovel. I went in the ditch one day last winter, I have a 3" lift with 315/75/r16 tires, my front end was in the ditch, my back left tire was on the shoulder yet, I still had to step up to get onto the road. I had a dinky little shovel and the snow was 2 feet or a little deeper in the ditch, I couldn't back it, it slid all the way in, then I just rocked it a little bit,we shoveled snow for about 20 minutes and I managed to crawl up the 5' 60 degree ice covered ditch.

uberfish:
Ha,  no chevys here.  today i grabbed a 3" x 3" square tube, the walls are 3/8" thick.  its hollow but i can weld some kind of an X brace through it.  i work for a metal contractor so i can get pretty much anything.  next week im going to get 3 or 4 solid steel rings lazered out about 3/8" thick, with squares the size of the tube cut out of the center, to be spaced evenly and welded.  should i make some of the rings pointed on the outer edge?  would you change anything?  add anything or take anything away?   

sticks:

--- Quote from: uberfish on Sep 13, 2008, 01:08 PM ---Ha,  no chevys here.    

--- End quote ---
theres your problem right there, your not using a chevy, ive yet to have mine stuck on the ice. my buddies ford could get stuck on wet grass.

Master Angler:
uberfish - your idea sounds similiar to what I am thinking about getting made.  The only thing different I would like to do, is have the support rings not welded solid, just pinned or secured in place with stopper bolts or something, as they are only there to fill up the hole so the center post is solid and straight, then in can be taken apart and won't take up nearly as much space in the truck. 

As for different brands getting stuck, etc, the biggest factor is tires and your clearance.

mud_n_fun:
Here's a little tip on tires for the truck for the winter. The narrower the better. The wide the tire is the more it floats around. Narrow tires concentrate the trucks wait to a smaller area giving better traction. Wide tires for mud, narrow tires for snow and ice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version