Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Catfish

Catfish hits through the ice

<< < (3/6) > >>

tench:
Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can make a trip down there this year.

wallydiven:
caught many 10-20lbers in open water on small ponds. tried on same ponds on ice and nothing. would love to pull one up through the ice and think ive tried everything any suggestions??? ponds are full of them, but not one through ice.

Oldfart:
In the winter the cats will pile up in the deepest hole you have. Once you drill there you will be into them. PLEASE note...you can wipe out a pond very fast this way. Take a few, have a fry, and leave some for next time. If you take 100 it may be years before it gets good again.

slipperybob:
I had my first channel catfish encounter this year...First catfish slammed my Salmo Chubby Darter.  Came in like a crappie and I was expecting a ligth nibble or tap.  Surprised me with the heavy chomp and loaded with weight as I hook set it.  This one swam upwards and all I had to do was guide it through the ice hole.  Second catfish chased my Dare Devle spoon and then went to nibble on the Fathead Minnow on the #2 Demon jig.  It was nibbling on it, and I gave it a good hook set.  This one fought hard and made several runs and some more as I got it close to the ice hole.  Eventually I got it into the ice hole.

Moose-51:
Don't just assume they are at the deepest location.  They can be all over the place.

Caught them in 15' this weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version