The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Newell, Belle, Fourche River, Redwater River/Butte  (Read 8443 times)

Snailgirl

Newell, Belle, Fourche River, Redwater River/Butte
« on: Nov 22, 2003, 12:22 PM »
Hello,

Just including (all in Butte County, SD  BTW) Newell Lake, Belle Fourche River and Redwater River. Any info-please post.

Thank you,
Snailgirl

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
Re:Newell Lake-Belle Fourche River-Redwater River
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:48 PM »
Hey Sailgirl,
Welcome to the board. Good to see someone else from western SD to share info with.
   I can't tell you much about the water you are asking about, but I live about 60 miles east of Newell and 5 miles north of the Belle and we finally have safe ice here on stock dams. Walked out on one of ours to visit with a neighbor that was fishing and there was about 4 to 5 inches. He only had 1 perch and said the bite was slow.
   I would bet that Newell Lake would be getting close to safe but the Belle will take quite a while.
   Keep me posted on how the fishing is and I'll do the same.
Waterbeater out!<br />

Snailgirl

Re:Newell, Belle, Fourche River, Redwater River/Butte
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2003, 02:08 PM »
Hi there,

Been out about 3-4 times but not even a nibble ???  Been to the Golf Course Lake, Newell Lake. Nothing. Where have you been fishing at?

Snailgirl

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2003, 10:11 PM »
I've been out about 5 times so far. I fish some of my stock dams. Usually catch about 20 perch a few crappie and bass in a few hours. The bite has been pretty active till yesterday, fished all day to get 20 fish. The wind was pretty tough, I blamed the slow bite on the front. Got to blame it on something other than the fisherman. Keep me posted on how the golf course goes. I've never fished it.
Waterbeater out!<br />

ICESLAYER

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2003, 02:38 PM »
I've been out about 5 times so far. I fish some of my stock dams. Usually catch about 20 perch a few crappie and bass in a few hours. The bite has been pretty active till yesterday, fished all day to get 20 fish. The wind was pretty tough, I blamed the slow bite on the front. Got to blame it on something other than the fisherman. Keep me posted on how the golf course goes. I've never fished it.

ICESLAYER

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2003, 02:44 PM »
BELLE HAS HAD SOME DECENT FISHING.   NORTH SHORES ARE OPEN ON THE EDGE.  EXPECT THEM TO REFREEZE THIS WEEK.  7-10 INCES OF ICE ON AVERAGE.   PRESSURE CRACK ON GADENS POINT OPEN.  CATCHING A FEW WALLEYES AND PERCH THROUGH THE DAY.  BITE HAS BEEN GOOD ANYWHERE FROM AQBOUT 2:30 PM TO MIDNIGHT OR SO WITH BIGGER FISH LATER.  LOTS OF 13 1/2 INCHERS.  HAVE CAUGHT THREEE THIS YEAR OVER 20"   NOT TOO GREAT NOT TOO BAD.  VERY GOOD SIZED PERCH 9-11 INCHES ON THE AVERAGE.  BIGGEST WALLEYE IVE SEEN ANYONE CATCH SO FAR MIGHT HAVE HIT 4 1/2 LBS.  CAUGHT NEAR RABBIOT ISLAND SOMEWHERE KEEP ME POSTED ON NEWELL.  WOULD LIKE TO TRY IN ON NEW YEARS DAY.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2004, 12:51 PM »
Spent the past 2 afternoons/evenings fishing Orman.  Lots of fish, but all small.  Only had 4 fish over 14" yesterday.  Good evening run.  Didn't catch any perch either day.   I haven't been to Newell in a couple of weeks, but when I was there I caught lots of small northerns, and a couple decent walleyes.  There was about 10" where I fished at Orman, and about 8" on Newell (2 weeks ago).

Eric

smalls

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Hey guys, I am a nodaker with a problem. My girlfriend lives in Rapid City so since I have to see her every other weekend, it is seriously cutting down on the icefishing. Is there anyplace (all you have to do is give me a lake name, I don't want your "spots") near rapid city or Sturgis or Belle Fourche for me to go fishing when I am down with the woman?

Also, it's impossible for me to find SD fishing reports, is there anywhere else that reports get posted alot? websites, newspapers?

Thanks.
smalls

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Smalls,
Welcome,
Here are a few places I recomend.
In Newell-Newell Lake straight north of town about 8 miles for pike and walleye. The golf course 1 mi. west of town is also an option but I have no idea how the fishing has been.
In Sturgis- Bear Butte Lake 2mi east of town on Hwy 34 then north 1mi on 79 for perch and small trout. The Kick Start gas station east of town has bait and might have some advice if the right person is working.
Belle Fourche- Orman east of Belle has northern and walleye.
Rapid City- Sheridan Lake southwest of town has decent perch and trout.
When you're in Rapid, check out either The Rooster bait shop in the gap or Scheel's in the mall for fishing reports and locations. They are nice guys and very helpful.
Hope this gives you some options.
Les
Waterbeater out!<br />

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2004, 05:57 PM »
Try Tony Dean for fishing reports. They dont always have something but if you email and ask someone will post up want u want.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2004, 10:29 AM »
Was back at Orman last night.  A lot slower than in my previous trips, I didn't catch any fish until sundown.  Once again, all small walleyes.  Beware that the pressure ridge from Gadens Point to the dam is WIDE open.  I was amazed to see open water out there after the super cold temps.  It's open from the point about 3/4 of the way to the dam, I'd say 20-30 yds. wide.  I was fishing on 12" in another spot.  Be careful out there!!!!!!!!

Eric

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2004, 01:49 PM »
I fish Orman almost exclusively and there are at least 3 open spots on it right now that I know of, over by Gadens Point and the boat ramp have been producing a lot of small ones in the begining of Dec, and slowed down a lot towards the end/beginning of Jan becaise of the storm fronts moving through almost constantly. I haven't been able to get out in about a week and a half, but last time I was out there was over 12" of Ice and I caught 2 keeper walleye and 5 perch in a matter of a couple hours in the morning till about noon. I hear this last week (when i haven't been able to get out) they have been getting a lot of nice sized Northern and reports of more than a few walleye 6lbs+... I hope I can make it up there while they are still biting!!
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2004, 01:53 PM »
Here is a link to the topographical map of Orman if anyone is interested....

http://www.state.sd.us/gfp/DivisionWildlife/fishing/Lakemaps/Orman.pdf
-Richard

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 01:56 PM »
SMALLS-

Here is a listing of every lake in SD (roughly) broken down by county (Rapid City is in Pennington and Orman is in Butte) with what fish are in them

http://www.state.sd.us/gfp/Publications/Publicfishareas.pdf

hope it helps
-Richard

smalls

« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2004, 03:38 PM »
Thanks ndbassmaster.

I am taking off tomorrow night and going to stop to fish on oahe on friday morning (probably mobridge area). But I have to take off from there fairly early to be in Rapid by early evening. Then I just have to convince her to let me go fishing in the morning while she sleeps ;)

Again, thanks
smalls

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2004, 04:26 AM »
Smalls- hope it helps!!
they have been dooing good lately off the northern side of Gadens point, more specifically if you head up there and can find a pile of charcoal near a hole, that is one of the local hotspots my boss has been killing them out of.... please let me know how you do at both locations.... Mobridge and Orman... I haven't been up to Orman in about a week, but they were biting good a day or 2 ago...
-Richard

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2004, 04:32 AM »
oh, and if you can ask a local where Rabbit Island is, you can drive out there now and off the southern point to the right a little looking south from the point, (look for the MT. Dew can frozen in the ice) we caught a LOT of nice ones in that area a week ago.... especially near dusk and a little bit after dark- please let me know where you go and how you do..... or if you don't make it, thanks
-Richard

smalls

« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Just another story of a foiled ice fishing trip. The fecal matter hit the fan at work and I wasn't able to leave when I wanted. Plus, I have to be back at work tomorrow (which I was planning on taking off) so that eliminates another day. You just can't win sometimes. Where is the best place to get a good lake map of oahe? I am guessing any baitshop in the area would have them. Thanks for the tips though, I WILL MAKE IT OUT THERE SOMETIME!!

And I will let you all know how I did when I get there. I do have one report to pass along. There has been some decent pike fishing at Bear Butte. A friend of mine released a (supposed) 22 lb. shark last weekend.

smalls

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2004, 01:37 PM »
22 Lb. snake in Bear Butte eh???  It's definately possible, I've been told that place used to be a pike haven of sorts.  Damn low water now though, be suprised if you can find 8' of water.  IT's colder that crap out right now, should be helping with ice conditions.  I'm heading out to Orman this weekend, I'll give an update.

Eric

walleyekiller

Re: Newell, Belle, Fourche River, Redwater River/Butte
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2004, 06:54 PM »
Hi guys,
I know this post is really old but in case you're still wondering about locations in western SD, check out my web site.  Click on the "ice fishing" or South Dakota link and I have marked maps for anyone to use.  If you have any questions, just give me a holler via Email.  We just moved from there but the info is still good.  The web site is www.walleyekiller.com

Take care,
Don
www.walleyekiller.com

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Any word on if ice has formed yet? Or started to? ??? ??? Hows the water level right now?
-Richard

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2004, 01:34 PM »
Good one, ice on Orman!!!!!!!!!  LOL.  The temps here have been in the high 40's and low 50's, and they are saying 66 on Saturday.  No ice to speak of at all, only some real small dams have held their ice.  The winds have been high as well, 45 mph yesterday.  Forecast finally cools down on Thurs., but I would say safe ice out there won't happen until early January.  The smaller lakes were almost fishable before this warm spell, in fact I got 2000 maggots from Vados last week thinking I'd be fishing.  As far as water level, it is up to 27%.  Not near what was in there at this time last year, but then again it hit 14% this fall, unbelieveable.  Got lots of good stuff on the GPS now though.  I'll try to keep the ice cond. out there updated.  The lake has had the crap fished out of it this fall, I think it is taking a beating.  Tons of boats, fish biting like mad.  And getting a boat in is a challenge.  I believe the new slot limit passed though, no more 14" min., 15"-18" slot, with only one over 20".  Don't know if it starts in January or not.  Hope this helps. 

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2004, 01:50 PM »
Thanks it's a big help.. I'm overseas right now waiting to get home... I was hoping to be able to head right out on the lakes.. ??? >:( >:( Guess not. Thanks again... I had heard the water was low, mud boat ramp and insane fishing... I wish I could got out there to mark some stuff on my GPS  ??? ??? ??? Oh well. Thanks again! Any idea how much of the drop off right out in front of Rabbit Island is out of the water?
-Richard

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2004, 10:26 PM »
Which drop off are you speaking of, which direction from the island???  Last time I was out into the lake that far, water was barely past Chicken Island heading west.  The sunken island between Chicken and Rabbit was still poking through, but was surrounded by water.  The point on the east side of Rabbit still had decent water there, but I haven't been accross it with a boat to know exactly how much.  This was almost a month ago that I was back there, otherwise I have just looked around the south side of the lake, and the water has gone up a bit since then.   Just to put it into perspective, the island that can be seen from 212 was totally out of the water, you could walk to it from three sides.  Wayyyy low.  Guys were docking on the two points that come out from the face, real good structure there.  Also a lot of neat stuff over by the old cabin site.  I don't have a program to transfer my GPS points, but if you wanted me to write a few down with some notes I could do that.  I never really got back into the west end of the lake around the islands, but I got most everything on the east side.  On a good note, I just checked the weather and it is supposed to cool down on Sunday, with highs of only 40 or lower.  Hopefully there will be some decent ice after Christmas.  What are you overseas for, the military or otherwise??? 

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2004, 07:11 AM »
If you could shoot me a few of the more interesting GPS coordinates, approximately where on the lake they are and a discription that would be awesome! I guess I should have been more clear. If you were to drive out to Rabbit Island going behind the dam and head staraight out to the island from the road, the point on the left end had a nice drop-off. I was ice fishing on last year with a lot of luck in perch and decent walleye. It should be off the west side of the southeastern tip of the Island, if that makes any sense ???
-Richard

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2004, 10:34 AM »
There is still pretty decent water there, I'd say 20 ft. or so, that is a pretty nice drop.  How deep of water did you find last year??  I'll email you a few of the better stuff I found, do you know what format your GPS is set up for right now, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds or Minutes/Decimal??  I'll have to check and see what mine is, if they're different I'll do a quick conversion.  I'll try to get it done sometime this weekend.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2004, 11:49 AM »
I really don't know what format to tell you the truth.. send me whatever is easiest for you and when I get to trying to figure out how to punch them into mine I'll figure that part out o! I really do appreciate it. Well if There's still 20 foot of water over there, I'm gonna have to try there a couple times again this year then. Please e-mail me the coodinates. Thanks again... I'll have to quit giving away my good spots like this! Or they'll be full everytime I want to fish them!
-Richard

walleyekiller

« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Hmm, with all this talk of low water it makes me wonder if I could go find my down-rigger.  I was out there a couple years ago during a very windy day and we hit a wave so hard it released my three month old down-rigger and into the water it went.  To this day I can remember watching it go in.  If anyone catches a Cannon down-rigger, let me know.  lol   ;)

We moved from there a while back, I'd love to see some pics the next time one of you are out.

Don

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:38 AM »
If you lost that downrigger where you say you did on the map, the lake will almost have to go dry to find it.  Take a check next October, if it doesn't rain or snow the lake will almost be that low.  I swung out today and was suprised to see much of the lake still covered by ice.  Not fishable ice of course, but after all the heat and wind we have had, I thought it would all be open.  50+MPH winds today and tomorrow, so much of it will disappear.  It will be OK to get a fresh start going though.  A cold spell is supposed to finally hit next week, keep your fingers crossed.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2004, 01:35 AM »
cold snap... will it be enough to get us out there? or more realistically, safely? ???
-Richard

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.