Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Equipment

possibly stupid question on rods

(1/3) > >>

sploke:
The TL;DR question is - does the direction a rod bends in, matter for use?

I have a jigging rod combo set up with an inline reel, so when you are using it, the rod guides are below the rod.

If I were to swap that reel with a baitcaster reel, the reel and guides would now be on top of the rod, with the rod effectively bending backwards when under stress.  Does this matter?  I'm kind of thinking not, until you were to get into super high end or custom rods, which I am not.

CL_Outdoors:
It definitely DOES matter... all rods (to my knowledge) have a spine that sits on one side of the rod.

A spinning rod will have a spine that sits on the opposite side of the guides, and a baitcasting rod will have a spine on the same side as the guides.

I would recommend using a rod that aligns with whatever reel type you plan to pair it with. Not saying that a snap would be inevitable if you mismatched the two, but if you're going after big fish or have the potential to hook into one, no sense in risking it!

appleye:
Most rod builder build the rod on the straightest axis (Commercial rods) so the rod will preform fine under a load top or bottom.  The fishing rod doesn't know what it's supposed to do it just bends.

HWeber:
Spine vs straightest axis is an ongoing argument in the rod building community. You have nothing to worry about, if it's working for you keep doing what you're doing

Splattypus:
Not a stupid question at all, unless I'm also a dummy (I mean, I am, but that's beside the point).

I was just thinking about exactly this  the other day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version