Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing With Electronics

Does Helix sidescan sonar work under the ice?

(1/2) > >>

pmmpete:
I'd like to have a sidescan sonar setup for ice fishing so I can locate fish off to the side of my hole, but the Humminbird Mega 360 and Garmin Panoptix Livescope Forward fish finders are hideously expensive.  So I've been wondering: I have a Humminbird Helix 7 fish finder on one of my fishing kayaks which has sidescan features and a sidescan transducer.  If I buy a second sidescan transducer and mount it on a pole so I can position it a short distance under the ice, will it show bottom features and fish off to the sides of my hole? can I slowly rotate it to cover the entire area around my hole?

ship of fools:

--- Quote from: pmmpete on Apr 14, 2022, 02:01 AM ---I'd like to have a sidescan sonar setup for ice fishing so I can locate fish off to the side of my hole, but the Humminbird Mega 360 and Garmin Panoptix Livescope Forward fish finders are hideously expensive.  So I've been wondering: I have a Humminbird Helix 7 fish finder on one of my fishing kayaks which has sidescan features and a sidescan transducer.  If I buy a second sidescan transducer and mount it on a pole so I can position it a short distance under the ice, will it show bottom features and fish off to the sides of my hole? can I slowly rotate it to cover the entire area around my hole?

--- End quote ---

I know for my Garmin SV the boat has to be moving - I would imagine it's the same.

Ice_Fly_Guy:
I'm 99% sure it's not going to work unless the transducer is moving along, as it would in a boat.  You can take a regular ice ducer, somehow fasten it to a pole with a bent end (like a golf putter), stick it in the hole and rotate it around.  Obviously the depth won't be accurate because it's pointed at an angle, but it will work to "see" fish around the area.  I've done this before by just swinging my transducer around underwater, although it is hard to swing it when there is a lot of ice.

Rebelss:
You need to be moving. Side Imaging Sonar works like an MRI. The beams are laser thin and as they move past an object they take 100’s of thin slices of the object and compile them into a high-detailed image of the object. If the boat is sitting still the beams will continue to take thin slices of the same spot and continue to show the slice of this spot continuously.

filetandrelease:

http:// While the clearest possible images require a moving transducer (either attached to a moving boat or part of a 360 Imaging device), Side and Down Images can be collected and used effectively in ice fishing situations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version