Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Lake Trout

Straight eye or flat eye for lake trout tube jigs?

(1/2) > >>

kasilofchrisn:
So I made a bunch of lake trout rattling tube jigs yesterday.
1 oz 3/4 Oz and 5/8 Oz.
My mold has the option to do a straight eye or a flat eye hook.
So I made some of each.
I'm curious what other people's preference would be aka a straight eye a flat eye or if it even makes a difference?
Also do you think a rattle would actually make a difference on lake trout?

Brochet:
Nice looking jigs !   Is the rattle the black thing by the hook ?

sorry, no insight on the straight vs flat eye question

My guess is the rattle will help - in summer big lakers go for rattling stickbaits so I assume they'll like a rattling jig in winter too

kasilofchrisn:

--- Quote from: Brochet on Jan 20, 2022, 06:42 AM ---Nice looking jigs !   Is the rattle the black thing by the hook ?

sorry, no insight on the straight vs flat eye question

My guess is the rattle will help - in summer big lakers go for rattling stickbaits so I assume they'll like a rattling jig in winter to

--- End quote ---

Yes the black thing cast into the back of the jig is the rattle.
It's got a steel BB on the bottom and two bb's inside that bounce off each other and the bottom one to create the rattling.

appleye:
I throw both in the summer I like the flat I hook as I have them in Trokars. I think for a tub jig it's not going to have much effect how the tube works. I think the rattle will attract and may entice a bite.   

Adironzach:
One of my favorite ways to target lakers is with tubes on a bottom bounce. I havent noticed much difference with a rattle vs no rattle. Id assume it comes down to what theyre feeling that day. As others mentioned, lakers do eat rattletrap style baits so the rattle cant be a complete turnoff for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version