Author Topic: Itty Bitty Smitty  (Read 1814 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Itty Bitty Smitty
« on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:11 PM »
The build starts- after pulling my old Jet Sled one last time through heavy snow, I am on a quest to build the lightest little Smitty sled I can come up with. Just enough to haul my auger, a couple rods, and a place to sit. There have been some light weight bucket rigs, and some small home brew and commercial sleds, but I want to combine that with the easy of pulling through snow of a Smitty. I will be using snowmobiles as long as the ice is safe, but late this year or early next I plan to walk on the ice with this new lightweight hole hopper. I started tonight when I found a pair of kids "skate skis"- a form of cross country skis about 40 inches long. They weigh 1 pound 12 ounces.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Itty Bitty Smitty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:31 PM »
From my experience the weight of the skis is unnoticeable but the surface area of the base could be critical.  I watch the guys fish Cascade and that snow is brutal. IMHO the flotation would be the key factor in a Smitty up there.  Are you going to put a tub on top or just the rails with lashing?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:14 PM »
From my experience the weight of the skis is unnoticeable but the surface area of the base could be critical.  I watch the guys fish Cascade and that snow is brutal. IMHO the flotation would be the key factor in a Smitty up there.  Are you going to put a tub on top or just the rails with lashing?

I plan to make a custom top, with just a mount for a flasher, a seat, a couple of rod holders, and a mount for my auger. I tried a pack basket last year, but moving a lot, I had to hoist it on my shoulder every time I moved, which was a lot, and I caught about 20 pounds of fish. My goal is to have it be 20 pounds or so with all my gear. I think those skis are plenty of float, since they are for a kid twice that weight. We'll see... My larger concern is the durability of the skis- they are so thin, I worry about the screws pulling through. I would rather have had some old adult cross country skis and cut them down, but this is what I found.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:55 AM »
I am in the planning stages of one my self. Similar to the attached pic. Can't remember where I found it but what an idea for run and gun. My thought is to have everything "at the ready"...locator, auger, rods, etc. for optimal hole hopping without having to bend over.

So...

1) Push The "Whole" Hopper  ;) to a spot.
2) Grab drill/auger from its "holster" and drill a hole...back into holster.
3) Lower transducer into hole. I'll do this by attaching a string/cord to the loop in the rubber ducer stopper so I can raise and lower it in and out of the hole. May require some small pulleys or eye screws to position right. Figure a quick way to wrap string to hold in place. No fish? Rod back I holder...ducer up...on to the next spot.

Thinking also of cutting 4 skis in half and maybe fasten back together so it will have tips at both ends. Easier to pull back after drilling hole to drop ducer down. Also "should" be able to rock TWH back if I wanted to spin it around. Or find one of those old wicker rockers and cut part of the curved rocker out of it and attach to the back of skis. Still up in the air with this part of it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2022, 11:26 AM »
Just found these two videos this morning.
Sounds like what you are trying to design.
First shows how its built, second is using it.
Maybe help with ideas.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2022, 11:54 AM »
Just found these two videos this morning.
Sounds like what you are trying to design.
First shows how its built, second is using it.
Maybe help with ideas.

The right idea but I'm trying to eliminate bending over at all and do everything from behind the sled while standing up.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2022, 12:03 PM »
Someone should make a video showing the different designs being pulled or pushed in a foot or more of snow.  That's what the Smitty was intended for.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2022, 02:52 PM »
While going smaller can work, but it's more about what you put in it, empty my sled with jet sled in it, I can lift with one arm. All aluminum. No so much the homemade as I don't have the skills or tools but maybe you do?

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2022, 02:55 PM »
While going smaller can work, but it's more about what you put in it, empty my sled with jet sled in it, I can lift with one arm. All aluminum. No so much the homemade as I don't have the skills or tools but maybe you do?

I like it . Giving me more ideas.  ;)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:45 AM »
All good ideas! I am also trying to let it fit in the back of my small car, so I can save gas on the 2 hour drive to the lake. My Jet Sled jr model was the right size, but it was a bear to pull loaded, with the auger, spud, and 20lb of fish through the deep snow. When I started, it was great, but that was with a hand auger, home made tip ups that weighed nothing, and being about 15 years younger. I built a Smitty for it, more to protect the bottom on rough ice towing behind a snowmobile, but it is not a lightweight model either. I saw some of the pictures people have found, and it inspired me to start this little project. I do like the standup version- my back is sore most days- have to see if I can make that fit in the car. I got the bindings off[ the skis are now 1#3oz.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:12 AM »
One lake I've fished several guys made sled out of galvanized conduit it seemed to cut though deep 8"-12" of snow easily they'd load their huts gear and auger pushing it or pulling it didn't seem to make much of a difference

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2022, 12:00 PM »
One lake I've fished several guys made sled out of galvanized conduit it seemed to cut though deep 8"-12" of snow easily they'd load their huts gear and auger pushing it or pulling it didn't seem to make much of a difference

I did the same with an old shanty of mine. Conduit runners with UHMW bars attached to the bottom. Worked real nice.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2022, 03:20 PM »
I did the same with an old shanty of mine. Conduit runners with UHMW bars attached to the bottom. Worked real nice.

Conduit with a UHMW cover would be a killer sled rail. I had some Yakima roof rack bars that would have been great, if you could bend them.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2022, 12:35 PM »
I have made a few more steps on my hole hopping Smitty. With some extra plywood, I made a platform in back, and found a chair with a back I use for summer. Sitting on a bucket with no back all day is kind of a drag, so I decided to try this out. I had a bracket for my Marcum Showdown in my Frabill Recon, and the auger will sit under the seat when I pull it. Still need a light solution to carry fish and a lunch, maybe a cup holder to hold my coffee upright. Maybe need a spud and throw rope for early and late ice. I do tend to fish until I fall in.
Plenty of time to fiddle- the highway up to the lake had a rock slide- last time it closed the road for weeks. Last 3 seasons there have been problems that cut out about a third of my season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.