Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

I can't find the lakers!

(1/2) > >>

tj52:
The lake were i fish has lake trout in it, but nobody ever tries to catch them.  The fish and game stock the lake trout about 15 years ago and no one has ever really tried to find them.  I think that they are still there but i can't find them.  I have tried different depts any were from 40 feet to 120 feet deep with rocks at the bottem.  I have never fished for lake trout threw the ice before and i don't even know if i am doing it the right way.  I have been useing tipups with minnows.  I know there are other ways i just don't know of any.

TJC:
IF YOU CAN USE SMELT THEY LOVE SMELT. ALSO TRY A LITTLE SHALLOWER, I HAVE CAUGHT LAKERS IN AS CLOSE AS 15 FT. HEARD OF THEM BEING CAUGHT EVEN SHALOWER. ALSO TRY DIFFERENT DEPTHS, I ACTUALLY FISH MOSTLY ABOUT 15FT DOWN. NEVER HAD GOOD LUCK FISHING OFF THE BOTTOM. WHAT LAKE IS THIS I HAVE SOME DEC LITERATURE THAT TELLS WHAT FISH ARE LOCATED IN LAKES?

Ice_Dog:
Smelt are the way to go I have been using smelt as long as I have been fishing for Lakers.  I usally catch fish every time I go.  I fish about six to eight feet off the bottom in about 60 feet of water.  I have heard of people catching lake trout in about 10 feet of water, but they are few and far between.  You will find that you will have much better luck if you were in about 60 feet of water with a smelt on the end of your line. :o

TGF:
I find that to be true here in western Canada ice dog. I fish in a lake that is 305ft deep & my best depths for lakers is from 50 - 70 ft. I have not tried smelt because it is illegal here. I use a jig with white exude tube. Good luck. ;D ;D

Smelt1:
Tip-up size suckers are best for lakers.We also use cut up sucker to chum the hole to bring the lakers in.All I usally do is bounce a yellow and red buctail jig baited with a strip of sucker on it off of the bottom in 50' of water and will usally catch between 6-10 lakers a day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version