Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

Pike lures

<< < (2/3) > >>

river_scum:
im opinion, the more attraction you have going on the better for predators.  rattles, flashes. scent trails and vibrations all expand your effective attracting range 10fold! thats why a rattle trap, rigged to jig, does so good on them.  the trap thing works wonders under the ice.  thats where i started using it 20+yrs ago. people think you need go small under ice but not so.  pike arent shy and will hit a chub hooked to a log chain, so add those attracting features.  look back in my posts about this for pics.  im not typing all that again. lol  blades, rattles, sponges with scent, glow.................. ...

no opinion on the senko.  scented plastic worms on a jighead(aka jigworm) are deadly on spring pike in the bays though.  i hop it back with 2ft high snaps.  kick up silt and bang it down.  the more the better imo.

Esox fisherman:

--- Quote from: river_scum on Oct 09, 2021, 05:12 AM ---im opinion, the more attraction you have going on the better for predators.  rattles, flashes. scent trails and vibrations all expand your effective attracting range 10fold! thats why a rattle trap, rigged to jig, does so good on them.  the trap thing works wonders under the ice.  thats where i started using it 20+yrs ago. people think you need go small under ice but not so.  pike arent shy and will hit a chub hooked to a log chain, so add those attracting features.  look back in my posts about this for pics.  im not typing all that again. lol  blades, rattles, sponges with scent, glow.................. ...

no opinion on the senko.  scented plastic worms on a jighead(aka jigworm) are deadly on spring pike in the bays though.  i hop it back with 2ft high snaps.  kick up silt and bang it down.  the more the better imo.

--- End quote ---
Thank you

slipperybob:
Daredevle spoon...yummy says the pike.  ;)

32footsteps:
Pike don’t discriminate. They will go after stuff much bigger than you think they can handle and much smaller than you think they should be looking at. I use muskie baits that can be jigged. Or if you don’t have that in your Arsenal and want to have a ton of fun simply drill a hole a few feet away from the one you’ll be jigging out of and drop a camera down pointed at the hole you are using. Now use a decent sized lipless crankbait like a rattle trap. You’ll see them drawn in if they are around.

Incorporate tipups into this approach if you like. I’ll drop deadbait down and let it soak for maybe 15 to 20 minutes and I’ll also have a hole within 10 feet of that deadbait. I’ll jump around to those secondary holes and jig aggressively with a rattle bait for 20-30 seconds and move on to the next hole. The rattle bait draws their interest and when they come in to check things out….voila….here’s an easy meal for them that just happens to be attached to a tip up.

B540glenn:

--- Quote from: DR.SPECKLER on Oct 08, 2021, 02:53 PM ---I spring/summer fish a lake that has more pike and bass than anything.out of the 10 years ive fished senko wacky worms there, i have never caught a pike on one.i change to a spinner bait or spoon and nail them.ive come to the conclusion that pike do not like senkos all that much.

--- End quote ---
Pike will take Senkos.
I took my young son fishing for pike one day.  We were trolling spoons in a small lake.  I caught 5 while he caught none.  We even traded places and rigs.  He was so discouraged.  I suggested that we change location and tactics and go for bass.  His second cast with a Senko brought in a 22" pike.   He was happier after that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version