Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

Making own leaders

<< < (2/7) > >>

Esox fisherman:
Ok thank you any crimps in particular

Walted:

--- Quote from: Esox fisherman on Oct 05, 2021, 08:31 AM ---Ok thank you any crimps in particular

--- End quote ---
The right size for the wire you are using. Otherwise use a figure 8 knot. It's not as pretty or streamline as a crimp but it will not slip.

stripernut:
Crimping is fine, but for single-strand wire, a Haywire twist will get the job done. I have landed many sharks much bigger than any pike with single stand that way. Also if you ever wanted to use a coated wire I have had good luck with twisting it and then simply melting the coatings together, comes out nice and smooth and very strong. Just some different thoughts.

Iceassin:
I'm going with Sunline Super Mono this season for my leaders....Palomar or Fisherman knot...no crimp. 20# test w/ 12# diameter. Use it on crankbaits and planer boards when trolling with no issues (breakage). Unbelievable stretch which should work to my advantage if a fight should occur. Probably change out leader after each time though just to be safe.

PikeKing23:

--- Quote from: Iceassin on Nov 04, 2021, 06:41 AM ---I'm going with Sunline Super Mono this season for my leaders....Palomar or Fisherman knot...no crimp. 20# test w/ 12# diameter. Use it on crankbaits and planer boards when trolling with no issues (breakage). Unbelievable stretch which should work to my advantage if a fight should occur. Probably change out leader after each time though just to be safe.

--- End quote ---

Don't do it!  Unless you are only going to catch hammer handles your heart will get broken.

--- Quote from: stripernut on Nov 04, 2021, 05:12 AM ---Crimping is fine, but for single-strand wire, a Haywire twist will get the job done. I have landed many sharks much bigger than any pike with single stand that way. Also if you ever wanted to use a coated wire I have had good luck with twisting it and then simply melting the coatings together, comes out nice and smooth and very strong. Just some different thoughts.

--- End quote ---

I also use single strand if I am using wire and a haywire twist is also what I use.  I have to think a figure 8 knot would crimp single strand?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version