Author Topic: Making own leaders  (Read 448 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live fishing die fishing
Making own leaders
« on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:17 AM »
So making your own steel leaders ive found from the other forums you use single strand for live bait and multi strand for lures but do you tie the end or crimp it to a swivel snap or lure

Offline EsoxVenator

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Making own leaders
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:41 AM »
Use 50+ lb Floro. Low vis, but has to be replaced sooner. Pull it through your fingers to see if it feels rough.

Online RapShack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2021, 10:45 PM »
There are some tieable wires but most use crimps, barrel swivel on one end just a snap(no swivel) on the other.   As mentioned 50lb fluoro gets the job done and can be used for jigging and tipup leaders.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:25 AM »
Havenít had luck with fluorocarbon

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:28 AM »
You will want to crimp.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Ok thank you any crimps in particular

Offline Walted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2021, 10:55 PM »
Ok thank you any crimps in particular
The right size for the wire you are using. Otherwise use a figure 8 knot. It's not as pretty or streamline as a crimp but it will not slip.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2021, 05:12 AM »
Crimping is fine, but for single-strand wire, a Haywire twist will get the job done. I have landed many sharks much bigger than any pike with single stand that way. Also if you ever wanted to use a coated wire I have had good luck with twisting it and then simply melting the coatings together, comes out nice and smooth and very strong. Just some different thoughts.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2021, 06:41 AM »
I'm going with Sunline Super Mono this season for my leaders....Palomar or Fisherman knot...no crimp. 20# test w/ 12# diameter. Use it on crankbaits and planer boards when trolling with no issues (breakage). Unbelievable stretch which should work to my advantage if a fight should occur. Probably change out leader after each time though just to be safe.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2021, 12:43 PM »
I'm going with Sunline Super Mono this season for my leaders....Palomar or Fisherman knot...no crimp. 20# test w/ 12# diameter. Use it on crankbaits and planer boards when trolling with no issues (breakage). Unbelievable stretch which should work to my advantage if a fight should occur. Probably change out leader after each time though just to be safe.

Don't do it!  Unless you are only going to catch hammer handles your heart will get broken.

Crimping is fine, but for single-strand wire, a Haywire twist will get the job done. I have landed many sharks much bigger than any pike with single stand that way. Also if you ever wanted to use a coated wire I have had good luck with twisting it and then simply melting the coatings together, comes out nice and smooth and very strong. Just some different thoughts.

I also use single strand if I am using wire and a haywire twist is also what I use.  I have to think a figure 8 knot would crimp single strand?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.