New York > Ice Fishing New York

Spring edibles foraging

(1/15) > >>

WARRIOR_ON_ICE:
When ice season ends I turn my attention to foraging. This was another great year for the ramps here in southeast NY, took about 25 pounds, eating all we could stand an selling about half of them.

From May 20 through June 5, we harvested every 3 days a huge flush of terrific golden oyster mushrooms, and could not even reach them all. Ate more than I should have and also put a bunch in the freezer for use throughout the year.

WARRIOR_ON_ICE:
I estimate we took easily 40 pounds of golden oysters, I am still sauteeing them, eating some now and freezing some. We could not even reach I'd say 30 pounds that were too high in the tree, but we got to witness these high ones do a massive spore dump - you could see what looked like smoke pouring out of them and that will seed the area for the future to get more when the conditions are right.

WARRIOR_ON_ICE:
This thread is now advanced to fall foraging season - that for me is all about fall mushrooms. My GF and I are monitoring a couple of oak trees that each have 6 hen-of-the-woods growing at their base, that we confirmed on 9/18. We are letting them grow and will harvest them in a few more days when they get to a few pounds each. We had a lot of rain in August which is benefitting mushroom growth now. This is going to be a very good fall mushroom season here in SE NY.

There is another flush of golden oysters starting on the same logs that we got them in June.  ;)

WARRIOR_ON_ICE:
Don't give up on me guys !  ::) I know this site is for ice fishing, and that was my first love and will always be more important than the other things I talk about on here. There is nothing I enjoy eating more than deep-fried crappie and perch, the same day they are pulled through holes in the ice. Let the countdown to ice begin. I am hoping I am just 80 days away from ice fishing somewhere that I have been before.  :-\

bogtrotter:
A friend took me foraging for mushrooms for my first time this weekend, and we harvested a bunch of saffron caps and boletes that (a) I mixed with scrambled eggs on Sunday and (b) my wife worked into a stir fry last night.

They were surprisingly good.

My buddy is supposed to take my older daughter and I on another expedition in a couple weeks for two other varieties of mushroom.

So I'm slowly adding to my repertoire of free food (my favorite kind).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version